Identifying LNBs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
I have two Dish 500s. The first one has two LNBs that are in one unit. They both come off at the same time as they are made together. One side is marked 110 the other 119. When I first got it I was watching my new system and some channels said that Dish Network would install a second dish for free for receiving those channels. So I called up and they brought out a second Dish 500 but the LNBs are different. On the second dish each LNB is separate. Each comes off separately. They are not marked but the "Y" connector they screw to is marked 110 and 119. Apparently they took coax from one of the second dish's LNBs and ran it to a switch and coax from the first dish's LNB "bundle" to the same switch. I think the switch is marked "Switch 21".

Now I have a Dish 1000. But I'm going to either move the 129 LNB from the 1000 over to the dish 500 so I can independently aim the Dish 500 or use one of the independent LNB's from the second Dish 500. I've gotten one of those "I" holders to put on the Dish 500.

What are these LNBs and will the older (independent) Dish 500 LNBs work for the 129 bird?

If I may ask...... AND WHY DO YOU WANT TO DO THIS??????

The D1000 has the "Independent" LNFB for the 129

The first dish you describe is a Twin LNB. The second uses 2 Dual LNBS connected together by a sw21. These work the same way, the twin is just newer and combines all the switches in one unit that comes off. Both pick up the 110 and 119. You can use any of these duals for the 129 on the I bracket. The only thing to look for is if they are dish pro or legacy. The dish pro will have a big black DP on them. The Dish 1000 should have a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB and it needs to have a DP dual connected to the LNB IN port. If they are dish pro you can pull it off and put it on a seperate 500 dish then just run the cable back to the Dish 1000 LNB or a switch if you go that route. Just remember a basic rule. DP LNBS go with DP switches and legacy only with legacy equipment.

Why do I want to use a second dish?
Because I live about 30 miles from Seattle and the 129 signal is poor. So I will leave the Dish 1000 where it is and set up a second dish (500) to look at 129. This will allow me to tune the Dish 500 for best signal on 129. If I can't get satisfactory signal on the Dish 500, I'll get a larger dish.

Thanks Wickedude
That explains a lot. I guess I can just move the 129 DP LNB over to the Dish 500 and plug the hole with one of the old LNBs. Just to keep things looking good and bugs out of the empty holder hole

Greg Mueller said:
Thanks Wickedude
That explains a lot. I guess I can just move the 129 DP LNB over to the Dish 500 and plug the hole with one of the old LNBs. Just to keep things looking good and bugs out of the empty holder hole

Greg,

Yes, just move the DP Dual you have in the D1000 for 129 to the D500. Since you're gonna use the I bracket you don't need a second LNB in the D500. You have a D1000 so the LNB for 119/110 must be a DPP Twin. Run a cable from the DP Dual to the SAT IN for the DPP Twin, run check switch at the receivers and you're done.

How many receivers do you have and what models?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)