Idiot's Guide for CS8000??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You are definitely using the older firmware ! You wouldn't have that situation with the newer firmware, because it has a permanent sat list, you can only change the names, plus you can add a few more using Diseqc 1.2 motor control , if you need to.
As for the password, you can disable it under the newer firmware, but I can't remember much about the old stuff. Maybe someone else can. You really should upgrade to the more recent firmware.
:)

I believe that with that older firmware, you must set up your 30 satellite list, before you begin scanning. Every slot that you want to use must be correct. The program seems to use the sat list as the master index to keep things organized. If it changes, you end up having to start all over again. The newer firmware , factory 2025, for example, or any of the 12xxxF, hackerware, uses a fixed satellite list that you cannot modify, to handle the orbital slots. The old problems are gone, but a few new ones arise. There is no Sat at either 85W or 125W ( Ku band) , so you have to get around that ( it's not very hard ) .

Nonetheless, the CS8000/8100 is a worthwhile HD box .

I will update the firmware then ASA I can get an hour or so where the wife is out of the house. And I will post again with my results...Thanks again.

I guess I could get my camera & shoot screen shots in her presence. You could probably hear the profanity in the picture.

Need a loader that will work!

Hey Brent (or other CS8000 fan)

I downloaded a zipped file from here (satguys) that had three zip files that were "loaders" 1, 2 & 3.01

Opening & unzipping either #1 or #2 reveals 3 files:
CSUpgrade.
CAB setup.
exe list.LST

#3 reveals a satellite dish icon & says CSUpgradev3.01.exe. BUT my XP PC cannot open the file & " Component 'mscomm32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered".

So can someone send me a loader that can be used to change the Firmware?
I cannot get any of these to open on my computer?

Of course I'm assuming that a loader is needed, sort of like what is used on the CS 5000.

Last edited:
I just emailed you the 3 missing files ( OCX extension) that need to be in \windows\system32 for you to run the CSUpgrade program. Let me know if they don't show up correctly.

Thanks Brent!!
I'll be back, but I'll have to wait until Tuesday to play around with it. Gotta a daughter that I have to move so she can work on her Masters in Pastoral Counseling. Maybe she can explain her crazy father.

And I got the email with the files. Assuming I get them stored in the correct place, which loader should be used??

Last edited:
Use CSUpgrade v301 . When you go to upgrade, the loader defaults to "bin" extension. Change to "all files" so you can find the "firmware.SGN" file .

I'm not quite sure I understand this instruction, but I won't be in front of my home computer & the cs8000 until day-after-tomorrow, so I will ask then if my "screens" don't make sense to me.:)

Well we didn't get back 'til 5AM this morning & I had a Med appointment, so it'll be tomorrow after work and maybe I can tackle the problem after a good night of rest.

I'll be back!!!

I've DLed the official manual, but the manual doesn't cover the finer points or even some of the major points. (The SW patches required to update FW that were sent to me are a classic example!!)

OK Brent,

I turned on the cs8000, opened the loader, selected the new file (the 12060dotsng), hit start on the loader, flipped the back switch on the cs8000 "off" and then "on" and it won't download.

I'm using a crossover cable. The loader had "download" selected, "firmware, channels" selected under TYPE. Serial port 1 is selected & "port close" is in black. (Toggling to "port open" triggers an error message; which means that when port close is up, the port HAS been selected.)

So what else should I do??

Last edited:
I'll try again tomorrow. I should have more time. I have two or three more null cables around here & I'll also be able to work more deliberately & carefully.

What does the front display of the cs8000 look like during the process when firmware is being downloaded to it?

The front display start counting up from 00 to 99 , as the download progresses. Sometimes , something squirrelly might happen, and you have to repeat the process.

Switched out null cables & it's downloading as I write. Now, whether this is going to do me much good is an open question, considering my level of ignorance;)

Funny, I used the same cable that wouldn't work to upgrade the 8000 on Wednesday night to D/L my CM channel list from one of my CS5000's to the computer then to my CS4000 w/o any problems.

I know Iceberg is the only mod on the FTA end here, but a lot of info that you've shared with me should be "stick-ed" in a separate CS8000/8100 or Coolsat guide to get us newbies up & going.

Ice's (legitimate) concern is that too many separate forums would evolve for him to be able to keep track of AND for him to earn a living & have time to watch some TV for himself.

We need a retired person who knows & loves Coolsat stuff to run a stand alone section. If I'm alive and expert enough in two more years, I'd volunteer.

The CS5000/4000 cable ( I have one) is a straight through serial cable ( 2-2, 3-3 ) and won't work on the CS8000. Funny how that goes, switching cable pinouts. Just shows that the various brands are not necessarily engineered by the same people, just branded the same . Your level of ignorance is just fine, Mark Twain once told me ( I'm older than you, ya know ) that we're all ignorant , just on different subjects !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AMC 9 @ 83w Ku reception in Mexico

A number of television viewing choices (The future of TV)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts