If at all possible, purchase your own modem/router

Discussion in 'Broadband Internet' started by andy_horton, Feb 8, 2018.

1. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

The Arlo cameras have their own WAP as I understand it so unless that WAP is somehow connected via Wi-fi to your router, it should represent a negligible impact. If you don't have a wired WAP, you're leaning on your Wi-fi pretty hard with up to five HD streams. Because Wi-fi bandwidth is shared amongst all active devices, the more devices, the more overhead there is in addition to the A/V streams themselves.

A modern cordless phone shouldn't be a problem as they operate around 5.8GHz. Somewhat older phones live in the 2.4GHz band.

2. seaofblue

seaofblue Member

Harshness, would a wireless Genie client affect it any? I wouldn’t think so but who knows. Ill play around with it this weekend when I have time. Thank you for all your help.

3. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

Not if you're located more than 100 meters from all of your neighbors. The WVB should pick a frequency not used by an existing Wi-fi enabled router or WAP. The mini will then look for the WVB wherever it happened to land.

The point of the WVB is to set up a DIRECTV-only Wi-fi network as video is a relatively intensive use of wireless.

If downloading at more than 20MBps to your iPhone is of dire importance, you might check to see if your router has some Quality of Service (QoS) settings capping the speed of any one client.

4. seaofblue

seaofblue Member

Harshness, it’s not of dire importance. I just like messing around with the technology and trying to learn as I go. Thank you for all the input. If I figure out what is slowing it down I’ll let you know. Thanks again

Separate names with a comma.

More...