If I cancel it, can I come back and just get a la carte?

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
Hi all,

I had Dish for 18months now. I'm done with my year commitment and "dish mover" commitment so I owe all the equipment I have. Right now I only have the HD Package and voom (and I have to pay an extra $5 bucks for that "privilege" :mad: ). I went ahead and got the HD TIVO for $200 bucks so I'm getting all regular channels through directtv now (And very happy with that! :yes ). Because I really don't have the time to watch Dish anymore I'm thinking about cancelling it completely. So my question is: if I want to turn on dish again in the future (say december during the holidays when I may have more time to watch TV) will they turn it on just for the packages I want (i.e., the HD +Voom) or will they consider me a new costumer and try to make me commit for a whole year with at least the minimum package? Anybody had a similar experience? I just don't want to call and get mixed messages from CSRs.

Thanks!

They will give you HD+Voom for 10+5+5 fee, and you need to provide all the equipment etc (receiver, dish, lnb etc) and that gets you in w/o any sort of comittment etc..

Now, since your talking about december, and its october now, im fairly sure you wont be able to get any 'new customer' promo's , and they may charge you some $$ to reactivate!

That's what I thought. I may keep all the equipment or just go ahead and sell it all. Part of me just thinks that, maybe in a couple of months they have some big annoucement where they'll have the 942 for $200 bucks like directtv! :shocked But then I wake up and realize that, with DishNet that kind of deal is next to impossible! :eek: I think i'm just gonna go ahead and cancel it all for now. It's silly to be paying $20/month just to surf through the voom channels for 5 minutes/week. but they're so puuuurty!!!! :D

CJPC said:
They will give you HD+Voom for 10+5+5 fee, and you need to provide all the equipment etc (receiver, dish, lnb etc) and that gets you in w/o any sort of comittment etc..

Now, since your talking about december, and its october now, im fairly sure you wont be able to get any 'new customer' promo's , and they may charge you some $$ to reactivate!

Yeah, if you own the HD box, and plan on reupping in 2 months, I say its just easier to keep it, unless DISH makes some announcement today about HD in mpeg4 by the days end (haha)

Yeah, ive also been contemplating on dropping voom, it looks great, but its the same stuff, over and over, and over!

CJPC said:
Yeah, ive also been contemplating on dropping voom, it looks great, but its the same stuff, over and over, and over!
It sucks, but it's only $5. I suspect we'll see all 21HD channels and lots of new content after the FCC approves the sale/transfer of Rainbow-1 TP frequencies.

Sounds good. but unless they offer me the HD DVR at a good price I still dont' see the point of keeping it. as I said above, time is my major constraint. so, on the phone with them now.. the CSR transfered me to somebody else. to be continued...

Ok. Done! No offer to retain me or anything. Just: we're sorry to lose you sir.
They're so lame. glad to get rid of it! :yes

riffjim4069 said:
It sucks, but it's only $5. I suspect we'll see all 21HD channels and lots of new content after the FCC approves the sale/transfer of Rainbow-1 TP frequencies.

Are you SURE you own your receivers?

Most people with a committment (you mentioned yours ran out) are/were on the DHA plan, and LEASE the boxes.

They're all MINE! MY precious!!! :D Yep, I subscribed on jan 04 when they had the 811 deal. at the time I got the 811 and a 301. later on when I moved I bought two 310. so, yes, I have own at least the 811 and the first 301 since jan/05. I should prob just sell all them before mpg4 comes. but part of me is still hanging on the dish... :eek:

SimpleSimon said:
Are you SURE you own your receivers?

Most people with a committment (you mentioned yours ran out) are/were on the DHA plan, and LEASE the boxes.

the deal was:

join dish and keep the basic 60 pack+ HD pack for a year; free instalation (after a $50 rebate); up to 4 receivers installed.after one year I'd owe all equipment.

The deal I think was good up to feb/04. I did through a retailer. after that, all they had was the lease option I think.

new_to_hdtv said:
I joined Dish back then too but don't remember any deal for purchasing an 811.
What was the deal? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)