If I go HD, what happens to locals

tsummerall

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Now that Comedy Central is going HD I'm getting very close to upgrading.

But I still want to keep just a few SD channels, like my locals (whose HD signals Dish doesn't carry) and Turner Classic.

Is there a package that allows HD and some SD?

Since Dish doesn't carry my locals is there any way I can get network shows in HD? (I can't get over-the-air digital, so that's not an option.)

Thanks!

With dish at this time, distant networks are not offered in HD. If your area doesnt get HD locals, and you cant get them OTA, you are basically out of luck. You only possibility would be to "move" to an area with HD locals.

Is dish lined up to get Comedy Central in HD anytime soon? Was it on that lis that came out recently, I cant recall

Apparently, Cablevision added it yesterday. No idea about when Dish will get it.
Yeah, I knew they added it. D* is supposed to get it next week probably, and a few other cable companies. I just had not heard about E*.

I'm not sure what you're asking. The only packages that include ONLY HD channels are the TurboHD packages. These aren't even available to existing customers yet without going through some hoops, but should be soon.

Since you said "upgrade". I assume you just want to add HD channels to your existing package. You just pay an extra $10 a month, and any channel that you already receive that is available in HD will be added, along with three other channels that are only in HD. (HDNet, HD Theatre, & Palladia.)

Beyond that, there is an option to add some more HD Only channels for another $10. It isn't a very good deal...there's only 7 channels, about half sports and half movies. There might be 2 more channels coming to this package soon, but it's still a lousy deal. (DirecTV charges only $5 for a similar package.)

If you wanted to get a TurboHD package, your locals would not be affected. But you wouldn't be able to get TCM or any other national channel that is not available in HD. TCM is the channel keeping ME from moving to TurboHD as well

The answer to your last question, unfortunately, is no. Officially, anyway. You can always "move" to get other locals in HD...others here can give you advice about that.

Yeah, I knew they added it. D* is supposed to get it next week probably, and a few other cable companies. I just had not heard about E*.

It was on both the Retailer Chat and the psuedo-press release that came out New Years Day.

EDIT, and they made placeholders for a bunch of new national HD last night.

"HD Only" is a label, not an accurate phrase. There are several channels that still have the SD counterpart in the HD Only packages. If you sub to Locals, you get whatever they currently retransmit. I get both the SD and the HD local channels and I'm in the original "HD ONLY" package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)