This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

If I just terminate my contract early...

KDRE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
Am I able to join Dish again within a day or two or three (whichever), as a new sub?

Nope, I believe the wait is a lot longer than that, if they'll even let you back as a 'new customer' without using someone else's information (Which I think qualifies as some sort of theft or whatnot?)

It usually takes about 2 years, although some have reported success after about 1 year. Even at 2 years you'll have to fight for it.

Plus, you'll have to pay the early termination fee to get out of the contract, unless you paid extra when you joined to waive the long term commitment.

Both Dish and DirecTV learned several years ago to limit access to new subscriber offers. Otherwise both would have probably gone out of business.

Are you doing this to get newer equip? You can upgrade your equip without disconnecting and restarting.

dirkleearm said:
Are you doing this to get newer equip? You can upgrade your equip without disconnecting and restarting.

They wont let me upgrade. I should have clarified but If I had my wife join dish a full day or so later under her maiden name, would that work?

KDRE said:
Am I able to join Dish again within a day or two or three (whichever), as a new sub?

KDRE,

If you signed a contract for a specific amount of time and you cancel before the time period is up you are likely to be held responsible for a hefty fee. Most of the newer contracts the penalty is at least 200 bucks.

John

They match up Social Security numbers with the names, if they do not match you do not get service. So your wife's maiden name would not work. Also they keep list of phone numbers, if that is the same as one recently shut off, that will not allow you service either.

JohnL said:
KDRE,

If you signed a contract for a specific amount of time and you cancel before the time period is up you are likely to be held responsible for a hefty fee. Most of the newer contracts the penalty is at least 200 bucks.

John

I know John. Im aware of it. Im sure the fee will be prorated since im for the most part almost done with the contract

Well,I would shut down, and go through an independent broker installer to get us hooked up through her maiden name. Maybe we could use her cell # or will the landline thing be a problem?

Yes, simple, change name with others and use cell or difference number, change ur address to #### A or B or C smith street. seems like a condo or apartment or deplex.

JohnL said:
KDRE,

John

$13.33 * remaining months on contract.

Im sure that fee would be prorated. Im more insterested in if I can pull this off. I wouldnt take the chance at all If I couldn't

Makes me wonder what my options are in light of a contract cancellation. If I did that would they change their tune on the upgrade?

Im just trying to figure out the most sensible way. I signed up with Dish again just before Voom went off the air.

KDRE said:
Well,I would shut down, and go through an independent broker installer to get us hooked up through her maiden name. Maybe we could use her cell # or will the landline thing be a problem?

New customers are asked for name and Social Security number. If they do not match, you will be refused service. Your wife could not use her maiden name unless she never changed it after marrying you.

they let me come back as a "new customer" last august even though I had only disconnected it in May. In my case though, THEY were the ones asking me to come back so they were willing to do anything to have me back. but it still took me some time to get a really good deal from them. I kept bumping into CSRs whom would say I didn't qualify for the deals cause it had been only 3 months since I had disconnected. the funny thing now is that when I call the system gets confused because there are 2 accounts associated with my phone number!

They have no current sub leasing promotion right now so I cant upgrade.

What a load of crock. Dish is pitiful in the way customers are handled

KDRE said:
They have no current sub leasing promotion right now so I cant upgrade.

What a load of crock. Dish is pitiful in the way customers are handled
If customers have reasonable expectations they are treated fairly well Some people just think they are worth more than the business values them so they have a difference in expectations.

boba said:
If customers have reasonable expectations they are treated fairly well Some people just think they are worth more than the business values them so they have a difference in expectations.

LOL, so expect nothing from them and you'll be happy....lol

I did this not too long ago...just started the new account in my wife's name and used her cell number on the acct instead of mine (which was on the old acct). Worked for me.

We have local dish dealers who encourage people to drop dish and then go through them and sign up as a new member. One fellow in town just got all new stuff registering his new account as his mother who just died, but had never been a customer and the house is listed in her name still. He has a entire new hd system and listed her cell as the home phone. He is using her cell phone now that she is gone.
The local dealer set this all up for him. How can these guys get by with this and if discovered who gets fined, customer or dealer or both.

If you terminate early the original dealer/retailer really gets hit $$ so hopefully you signed up directly through dish. What is it that you are wanting, maybe you have been given bad information???