If local baseball TV ratings are so strong, why are World Series, All-Star Game numbers so low?

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/if-...orld-series-all-star-game-numbers-so-low.html

The issue about lagging national numbers is easy to answer. Again it deals with splintered ratings due to so many national games being available on so many different platforms. We’re a long way from the days of Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek on NBC Game of the Week on Saturday afternoons as the only national game on the menu. Does anyone even know where to find the Fox Saturday game anymore?

The more relevant ratings are for the All-Star Game and the post-season. If baseball is generating so much interest on the local level, it logically would follow that there should be more viewers tuning in to the games on the sport’s biggest stage, right?

Nope.

Baseball hasn’t pulled a double-digit rating for the All-Star Game since 2001, and hasn’t even delivered a 7 since 2010.

Meanwhile, the World Series, the crown jewel, has averaged in the double-digits only once since 2009. Last year, Boston’s six-game victory over St. Louis only averaged an 8.9 rating on Fox. More was expected in a Series featuring two of the game’s most marketable teams.

You can’t blame splintered ratings in primetime, because these are recent trends for the World Series and All-Star Games. Meanwhile, the drop-off hasn’t been as dramatic in marquee events in other sports.

Now you could spin ratings information many different ways. While some might see the local ratings as positive news for baseball, thrown in the context of the sagging All-Star Game and World Series, it begs another question: Has baseball become a provincial game for fans?

In other words, fans are interested in the home team, but not so much in national stories. Once your Favorite 9 fades out of the race, you turn your attention elsewhere.

You certainly can come to that conclusion based on local and national ratings. It has to be a concern for baseball’s various network partners who have committed billions in the current deals to broadcasting national games. To maximize their investments, they need to find a way to increase ratings for baseball’s biggest games.

It’s great to see teams like Detroit and St. Louis are doing big ratings for games on their outlets and that Pittsburgh fans are watching in big numbers with the Pirates relevant again. But those are snapshots, not the complete picture.

The fact is: The game does move too slowly, and it is losing fans, young and old.

Your local ratings are high because you have a LOCAL Following ... with the WS you have two teams that most of the nation don't care about.

I thought the ASG has had good ratings .... the Home Run derby I think has dropped off considerably.

I think one of the reasons is that they start the games so late. First pitch doesn't usually happen til about 8:45.

The games take too long and there are so many of them that they aren't must see tv.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm one of those who watches every Tigers game on FS Detroit but couldn't care less about the all star game. I'm also an MLB.tv subscriber so I don't even bother to check the national games most of the time. I just watch the game I want to watch on MLB.tv instead of whatever matchup ESPN chooses.

That being said, I will watch a lot of the big playoff games whether they involve the Tigers or not.

1- You only care about your local team...I'd never watch any game that has Washington or Florida.
2- All 4 major sports' All Star Game is a joke, useless...

They should just abolish these games. Calling them "fan weekends" is a crock as its the league making the $$$.

If they want to make it interesting... have a mix of all-stars and local police/firefighters and raise $$$ for charity.

They didn't drop for the NFL...

When did the NFL move all its games to paytv? They have 2 games a week on paytv and now that is just one as the Thursday games are being simulcast on CBS this year. MNF ratings are good for espn but nowhere near the total number of viewers they get on the OTA games and NFLnet game ratings were not that great either.

When did the NFL move all its games to paytv? They have 2 games a week on paytv and now that is just one as the Thursday games are being simulcast on CBS this year. MNF ratings are good for espn but nowhere near the total number of viewers they get on the OTA games and NFLnet game ratings were not that great either.
I never said all, just as you didn't say all for MLB. As for the Thursday prime time games, only the first half will be simulcast on CBS. Also, ESPN gets into the act with NFL postseason games for the first time this season....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting marquee events, such as playoff games, on pay-tv is counterproductive IMHO because you're forcing viewers to choose what they want to spend their money on. That makes the games a value judgment. One reason March Madness gets such huge ratings is the games largely are on OTA CBS, so all I, as a viewer, have to do, is turn on my set. I don't have to determine whether I want to spend the money to pick up whatever channel the game is being shown on.

In many ways this is the same mistake baseball owners made during the 1930s, when they didn't want their games broadcast live on radio. They believed that restricting broadcast access meant larger crowds at the ballpark. They had the same view when television gained popularity. They were wrong, of course: Greater exposure whets the appetite to see the product live.

They didn't drop for the NFL...
That's the difference with 1 game as opposed to a series of 7. Non fans of the 2 teams will tune in for elimination games, but not a series of them. The single elimination format is the key reason for the success of the NCAA basketball tourney.

NFL playoff (and superbowl) games also come on 2 hours earlier than world series games and are not in the middle of the work week.

All-Star Games is where star players get penalized. When the rest of your teammates have a nice long weekend off, you're forced to fly across the country and work.

It's not work to play on the same team with the league's best, particular for the younger players. I didn't see any "Why-the-eff-am-I-here" expressions during the Home Run Derby.

i think that all leagues shouldn't play a All-Stars game and give the players the whole week complete off! like the NBA is kinda trying this year , maybe we have tried players in the 2nd half of the season , and Ratings if you not a die-hard , hardcore baseball fan, your not just going to watch any 2 baseball teams , even in the World Series

I think one of the reasons is that they start the games so late. First pitch doesn't usually happen til about 8:45.
Thats part of it, I remember as a kid trying to talk my way into staying up later to see as much as I could.

Would it be such a bad thing to eliminate alot of the garbage before the game so the game could START by 8:15 ?

The NFL could also start thier Prime Time games much earlier if they would get rid of the stupid Pre Game Musical guest.

I don't care if they are there, thats great for the people there, I don't need the game starting at 8:45 when it's scheduled for 8 pm.

NFL Playoffs and Superbowl are single games on the weekend, with the latest game beginning at 6:30pm.
MLB Baseball and World Series are all 5-7 games matches, mostly played during the week starting at 8:30pm.

It's not rocket science to figure out why one's ratings are up and the others is down.

Putting marquee events, such as playoff games, on pay-tv is counterproductive IMHO because you're forcing viewers to choose what they want to spend their money on. That makes the games a value judgment. One reason March Madness gets such huge ratings is the games largely are on OTA CBS, so all I, as a viewer, have to do, is turn on my set. I don't have to determine whether I want to spend the money to pick up whatever channel the game is being shown on.
Not with the recent changes put into place to have all of the games available for broadcast. For the first weekend, less than a quarter of the games are on CBS. The rest are spread around TBS, TNT, and TruTV.

NCAA Tournament 2014 TV schedule and announcers: The first 4 days of March Madness