Status
Not open for further replies.

John Corn

The Coach / Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
North Canton, Ohio.
I heard that the league is in limbo and this could be the last year. If it is TRULY a developmental league, why not bring it to the states and have it called NFL2 or something? It could be played in April-May-June with, I dunno, 12-16 teams, in semi-big cities like;

East
Providence, RI
Albany, NY
Wilmington, Delaware
Charleston, WV

South
Louisville, KY
Birmingham, AL
Jackson, MI
Little Rock, AR

West
San Antonio, TX
Sacramento, CA
Portand, OR
Salt Lake City, UT

Central
Des Moines, IA
Cheyenne, WY
Topeka, KS
Omaha, NE

It could be played in cities with smallish stadiums or just college stadiums. Salaries could be much lower than NFL salaries. I dunno, 500,000 thousand a year top salary, 25,000 minimum. Just a guess.

This would be good in the sense that you'd have 3 more months of "NFL" and a chance to see some rookies or veterans you know of who are trying to catch on or hang on. And you know NBC would snatch up anything with "NFL" attached to it, opposed to that AFL stuff they show. So, a TV contract wouldn't be a problem.

Damn! Only if I had like 500 million dollars!

Just an idea for us diehards who'll soon be left with 6 months without football. Thoughts?

John Corn said:
I heard that the league is in limbo and this could be the last year. If it is TRULY a developmental league, why not bring it to the states and have it called NFL2 or something? It could be played in April-May-June with, I dunno, 12-16 teams, in semi-big cities like;

East
Providence, RI
Albany, NY
Wilmington, Delaware
Charleston, WV

South
Louisville, KY
Birmingham, AL
Jackson, MI
Little Rock, AR

West
San Antonio, TX
Sacramento, CA
Portand, OR
Salt Lake City, UT

Central
Des Moines, IA
Cheyenne, WY
Topeka, KS
Omaha, NE

It could be played in cities with smallish stadiums or just college stadiums. Salaries could be much lower than NFL salaries. I dunno, 500,000 thousand a year top salary, 25,000 minimum. Just a guess.

This would be good in the sense that you'd have 3 more months of "NFL" and a chance to see some rookies or veterans you know of who are trying to catch on or hang on. And you know NBC would snatch up anything with "NFL" attached to it, opposed to that AFL stuff they show. So, a TV contract wouldn't be a problem.

Damn! Only if I had like 500 million dollars!

Just an idea for us diehards who'll soon be left with 6 months without football. Thoughts?

NFL Europe was originally in North America, as well. I believe it was called the World League of American Football. (AKA We LAF.) There were some franchises in the US and Canada, as well as Europe. It folded for lack of fan support in the US and was resurrected as NFL Europe with only European cities. Original cities in 1991: London, Barcelona, Frankfurt, NYNJ, Orlando, Montreal, Raleigh/Durham, Birmingham, San Antonio, and Sacramento. 1992: Swap Ohio for Raleigh/Durham. Dormant after 1992. Resurrected in 1995 in Europe only.

Link: http://www.angelfire.com/tn/pkholling03/nflel/indexNFLEL.html

Man, that is all Birmingham needs, another pro-football team to fail.

1974 WFL Birmingham Americans, changed name/ownership
1975 WFL Birmingham Vulcans, folded 1 year
1975 AFA Alabama Vulcans, folded 1 year
1982 AFA Alabama Magic, folded 1 year
1983-1985 USFL Birmingham Stallions, folded 3 years
1991-1992 WLAF Birmingham Fire, folded 2 years
1995 CFL Birmingham Barracudas(worst name ever for a football team), folded 1 year
2001 XFL Birmingham Thunderbolts, folded 1 year
2001 WAFL Alabama Slammers , folded 1 year

2000-present AF2 Birmingham Steeldogs. Arena League 2 "minor league" arena football team.

Man.. Can't get much worse than Arena football minor league.

I say bring it on in Wilmington, DE! Can't call it the "Blue Hens".. it's taken.. they cann their minor league baseball team that. Can call them "Philly Wannabes"

Better off moving them to Dover and calling them the "Galaxies" after the fatass planes we have around there. And before you say it.. Nascar works in Dover. Redneck mecca for 2 weeks, but it works.

What's so sad is I had season tickets to the Barracudas & Thunderbolts and still have season tickets to the Steeldogs. Birmingham supports their teams, its just the leagues keep folding.

Speaking of NASCAR, I'm 40 miles from the mecca of racing, Talladega.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)