If the Spurs meet the Pistons in the NBA Finals, would anyone else ignore it?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
There is still high potential for the one posssibilty, the one potentialty that brings even this NBA fan dreads and shudders at the thought of:

A Spurs/Pistons NBA Finals.

Last year, I was all set to boycott the series, and even carry around a petition.... until LeBron made history here:

YouTube - Lebron 48 Points Game 5 Highlights

Anyway,

besides the Detroit sports fans on here, am I the only one who would refuse to watch a second of a Spurs/Pistons finals?

Also, I want you guys to come up with a list of things you'd rather do than watch a Spurs/Pistons Finals.

One more thing:

IF the Spurs play the Pistons in the Finals AND the NHL gets a Penguins/Red Wings Cup Final.... could the unthinkable happen?

There is still high potential for the one posssibilty, the one potentialty that brings even this NBA fan dreads and shudders at the thought of:

A Spurs/Pistons NBA Finals.

Last year, I was all set to boycott the series, and even carry around a petition.... until LeBron made history here:

YouTube - Lebron 48 Points Game 5 Highlights

Anyway,

besides the Detroit sports fans on here, am I the only one who would refuse to watch a second of a Spurs/Pistons finals?

Also, I want you guys to come up with a list of things you'd rather do than watch a Spurs/Pistons Finals.

One more thing:

IF the Spurs play the Pistons in the Finals AND the NHL gets a Penguins/Red Wings Cup Final.... could the unthinkable happen?

What would the "Unthinkable" be ?

The NBA fans are fickle, if you play good solid basketball with good Defense, you get the Spurs and Pistons,
If you want to see sloppy NO DEFENSE basketball you go with the others.

I know a few years ago these teams played and all the media cried, I presume they will again.

If you want to see basketball the way it was meant to be played with good D then you would like this series.
This is the kind of basketball I grew up with, once the D went out of the game and the showboating started, I lost interest.

Jimbo

The NBA fans are fickle, if you play good solid basketball with good Defense, you get the Spurs and Pistons,
If you want to see sloppy NO DEFENSE basketball you go with the others.

I know a few years ago these teams played and all the media cried, I presume they will again.

If you want to see basketball the way it was meant to be played with good D then you would like this series.
This is the kind of basketball I grew up with, once the D went out of the game and the showboating started, I lost interest.

Jimbo

Sorry to disagree there Jimbo. Fans WANT defense, but only in big time spots...they do NOT want MORE defense than offense, and THAT is what BOTH the Spurs and the Pistons bring.....

Let's face it....DEFENSE does NOT PUT ASSES IN SEATS....offense does! I think NO ONE would mind games in the upper 80s, lower 90s....but with these two teams...it could lower 80s/uppers 70s....IF that lucky.....

Jimbo

The 'Unthinkable' would be if the Stanley Cup Finals get higher ratings than the NBA Finals.

If Spurs/Pistons and Penguins/Red Wings are the championship matches in the NBA and NHL, then I feel there's a slight chance.

After all, Sidney Crosby + Hockeytown = WAY more marketable then Tim "Ratings Poison" Duncan.

The 'Unthinkable' would be if the Stanley Cup Finals get higher ratings than the NBA Finals.

If Spurs/Pistons and Penguins/Red Wings are the championship matches in the NBA and NHL, then I feel there's a slight chance.

After all, Sidney Crosby + Hockeytown = WAY more marketable then Tim "Ratings Poison" Duncan.

I agree!

Here's a list of what I'd rather do than watch a Spues/Pistons final:

Watch Major League Soccer

Take a nap

Watch old VHS tapes

Watch reruns of old TV shows I don't like

Here's a list of what I'd rather do than watch a Spues/Pistons final:

Watch Major League Soccer

Take a nap

Watch old VHS tapes

Watch reruns of old TV shows I don't like

I'll expand that list.....

Do hard physical labor with out pay.
Eat liver.
Gouge my eyes out.
Hang out with my Father-In-Law

Why don't you guys all come out and say it instead of beating around the bush.

IF the Pistons make the finals ... you won't watch, see, it's easy to type.

I don't watch basketball BECAUSE there is NO DEFENSE.
Back in the '70's you had hard working teams that knew how to play D.

OK, someone else do the math, because I don't know where to look for the info, someone find out what the Pistons avg. points per game are, IF it's easy to find, find the avg for the teams remaining.

Jimbo

I don't watch basketball BECAUSE there is NO DEFENSE.
Back in the '70's you had hard working teams that knew how to play D.

Jimbo

Understandable,

but did you watch hockey when there was NO OFFENSE and trapping?

IIRC, your Wings dominated in what my fellow hockey fans refer to as the "dead-puck era."

I have watched hockey since 1969 :)

Jimbo

In that case,

how would you compare the eras of high-scoring, no-defense hockey with that of high-scoring, no-defense basketball?

You mentioned how you don't like basketball with no defense; how would you compare it with the hockey eras of no-defense; in other words, the high-scoring 70s, 80s and early 90s when hockey players were racking up points like, to use a Detroit reference, Barry Sanders racked up yaradage?

In that case,

how would you compare the eras of high-scoring, no-defense hockey with that of high-scoring, no-defense basketball?

You mentioned how you don't like basketball with no defense; how would you compare it with the hockey eras of no-defense; in other words, the high-scoring 70s, 80s and early 90s when hockey players were racking up points like, to use a Detroit reference, Barry Sanders racked up yaradage?

The very best hockey game I ever saw was on Brendan Shanahan's birthday when he was with the Wings against Philly.
It was an excellent game, much like a playoff game, where every trip down the ice was important.
Very exciting game all game long, lots of good hits and good flow to the game all the way around.

Final score : 1-0

fwiw, when you play games that end up 7-6, that is not good hockey. When you play games that end up 7-2, thats good hockey from one team and a lack of a good game from the other team, whicj you saw alot of in the early 80's

Jimbo

A partial list of favorite things to do:

#69 Getting my ass kicked
#70 Standing in line
#71 Watching any NBA finals that DON'T have the Pistons
#72 Getting audited by the IRS

Another series where nobody can win on the road. I'm liking the Piston's chances to go all the way more everyday, see as they KNOW how to win on the road.

How'd they do on the road during last year's Eastern Conference Final, Paul? ;)

Not just last year, HD MM.

Don't forget that they were 0-3 in Miami in the 2006 Eastern Conference Finals.

In fact, their last road win in the Eastern Conference Finals was game 7 in Miami in 2005, which set up the NBA Finals that I boycotted.

Not just last year, HD MM.

Don't forget that they were 0-3 in Miami in the 2006 Eastern Conference Finals.

In fact, their last road win in the Eastern Conference Finals was game 7 in Miami in 2005, which set up the NBA Finals that I boycotted.

Oh, Snap SabresRule........

Open wound........ Insert Salt.........:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts