IF you buy your own VIP211/622 do you still pay any DVR Fees?

coolguy1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Hi,

If you buy VIP 211/622, Do you still have the requirement to subscribe to HD programming ($6 HD Reciever fee) and pay additional $6 DVR fees, and attach 622 to a phone line too?

If you still have to pay all the above charges (when you Lease, same charges).. whats the advantage of owning the equipment, rather than Leasing?

You don't pay the 5 dollar lease fee if you own it. I do believe you still get stuck with the DVR fee, which is a pretty bogus fee if you ask me. Especially when you pay for the darn thing.

If you have a ViP receiver (211 or 622) and don't subscribe to a Metallic HD Package, you pay $6.00 to lease it and another $6.00 HD enabling fee. Also, the 211 is NOT a DVR so there is no DVR fee on the 211 only on the 622.

Yah, if I have only VIP 211 as primary reciever, its free right, no Lease fee isnit...

So there is NO benefit of owning your own equipment. I dont know why ppl buy Recievers then, since Dish covers if any problems, rather than u mailing it back, and dealing with reciever support and all..

I was told, If I sign up to Dish HD bronze, I dont pay any lease fees on the VIP 211 reciever.

That's correct coolguy1. The first receiver is included in most packages. However if you add another receiver, you will be paying a Service Access Fee of $5 for a regular receiver. For HD receiver, I believe it is $6.

That's correct coolguy1. The first receiver is included in most packages. However if you add another receiver, you will be paying a Service Access Fee of $5 for a regular receiver. For HD receiver, I believe it is $6.

You are charged the $5.98 DVR fee unless you subscribe to Americans Everythink/Platinum.

You are charged a $6 HD enabling fee if you don't subscribe to a metallic pack.

You are charged a $5 for each sd and $6 for each additional leased machine or you are charged $5/$6 for each additional owned machine on your account.

You are charged a $5 fee if you have newer model receiver that is not connected and working to the modem port.

Some are also reporting that the Primary machine is now charged if leased.

I have 4-vip211's with the HD-gold pak and am getting dinged $6.00 each a month on 3 of the receivers for the damn hd enabling fee and i OWN the receivers!

Yah, if I have only VIP 211 as primary reciever, its free right, no Lease fee isnit...

So there is NO benefit of owning your own equipment. I dont know why ppl buy Recievers then, since Dish covers if any problems, rather than u mailing it back, and dealing with reciever support and all..

Once the warranty runs out, Dish does NOT cover any problems. You must buy the insurance.

You are charged the $5.98 DVR fee unless you subscribe to Americans Everythink/Platinum.

You are charged a $6 HD enabling fee if you don't subscribe to a metallic pack.

You are charged a $5 for each sd and $6 for each additional leased machine or you are charged $5/$6 for each additional owned machine on your account.

You are charged a $5 fee if you have newer model receiver that is not connected and working to the modem port.

Some are also reporting that the Primary machine is now charged if leased.

I thought there was another fee that replaced the lease fee if you owned your own box, and therefor it was a wash from a fee standpoint for leasing or owning a box these days. Do I have that wrong?

Thanks,

I thought there was another fee that replaced the lease fee if you owned your own box, and therefor it was a wash from a fee standpoint for leasing or owning a box these days. Do I have that wrong?

Thanks,

Under DIU:

If you have more than 1 receiver then the lease fee replaces the extra receiver fee. If the 622 is your only receiver then you will still pay $6 a month lease fee.

If you own your 622 and it is your only receiver than there is no fee (DVR and HD-Enable fees may still apply depending on your package).

NightRyder

I disagree with the DVR fee period. However it is there none the less. What bothers me is explaining all these fees to customers so they understand them. Just like this is the how many 100th time someone has asked this question on this forum. E* makes this hard to figure out on purpose I think.

Why would Dish allow someone return a Broken One ?

Because they want to keep a customer. If your lease box has failed, cancel service and return the box. My parents cable company tried to pull this on a broken cable box. When my parents told them they weren't paying to fix a rental and to keep the box the cable company said never mind, here is a new box.

Because they want to keep a customer. If your lease box has failed, cancel service and return the box. My parents cable company tried to pull this on a broken cable box. When my parents told them they weren't paying to fix a rental and to keep the box the cable company said never mind, here is a new box.

You are comparing Apples and Oranges ! Why do you think Dish offers insurance ?

Example : Customer # 1 has insurance and pays a monthly fee for 18 months. Receiver breaks . Dish replaces it free of charge,

Customer # 2 does not have insurance, pays no monthly fee, and after 18 months receiver breaks. Dish replaces it free of charge.

If I were Customer #1 I would be pissed enough to begin a legal investigation.

I hope you are right . If you have proof of this happening, please post it . I would be happy to stir the pot.

What I would like to know on a 622 is how much extra would it cost than a 522 to have it on your account if you do not have HD programming? Would you still have to pay the HD enabling fee even if you do not want to use it for HD? I know there's the $5 additional outlet fee on the first tuner if it is an add on to any other receiver. If you own it you do not need to pay the $6 lease fee. Wouldnt the lease fee be the same thing as the additional outlet fee? Or do they charge this on the first tuner even if it is an additional receiver if your leasing it? I've never activated or sold or messed with any 622's so that is why I do not know about this. Never had to deal with it before but I thought about getting one in the future when the prices drop on them more.

There was at one time an option of calling Dish and requesting to disable the HD functionality, which would disable the digital OTA tuner as well, to keep from paying the HD Enabling fee. At some point in May or June I think it was, this option was deleted. (a non-activated 622 reports that it is a "ViP622 DVR SD" on the system info screen, this changes to "ViP622 DVR HD" after activation with HD enabled)

So if you want to use the 622 for SD only and cannot receive any OTA stations, it will cost you $6 more than the equivalent 522 or 625. But you'll be able to store double the amount of content on it. It also does a pretty good job of upconverting the SD content to the HD outputs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)