If You Could Move Anywhere in the US, Where Would it Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been looking at places that we would not have to snowblow or shovel feet of snow. I dont like heat very well so would not want to live too far south. So far NC has been very interesting.

Can I move back? Please? I'll try to bring Rocky back with me.

That's kind of like saying that you drove through the McDonalds drive-thru and didn't get a feel why parents would like the Playplace :)
These places are not Colorado.

I didn't have much time to write when I posted (still don't) but I did a lot of traveling throughout the state during the six week-period since I was there as a Geo-Bachelor, and I logged thousands of miles in a rental car with unlimited mileage. I took trips to Boulder, Breckenridge, Fort Collins, Pueblo, Grand Junction and others. To be honest, I think your statement about places like Denver, Aurora and Colorado Springs not being "Colorado" is a bit silly because I certainly wasn't in Kansas. ;)

While some parts were quite beautiful (i.e., White River National Forest), I was surprised at how much of the state reminded me of being in high desert. I actually prefer the natural lush-green beauty of mountains and rolling hills back east from North Carolina through to Pennsylvania. Heck, if I still had working knees I would gladly do my skiing in Vermont over Colorodo; Vermont has "cozy feeling" to it whereas skiing in Colorado equates to going down a big hill with a bunch of far less friendly people.

Colorado wasn't a bad place to visit, but I didn't get the feeling I would want to give in any of the places I visited. Also, I didn't find any really good/afforable ethic food during my travels (i.e., thai, vietnamese, middle eastern, polish, german) during my travels. Again, I had a good time...but I don't see any compelling reason to move there.

I used to think that way but it's simply the reverse of what I have now. For four months or so we hibernate in from the cold and snow. So for what....... Two months we would stay inside to keep out of the heat and not have to shovel feet of the white stuff.

I know that area Don, and I believe that the foothills of Sierra Blanca is a bit nicer. But then again this is your permanent home and it isn't mine......

Up until 2 weeks ago my answer would have been Lake Jackson, Texas. But their congressman is not running for re-election so that's off.

An interesting opportunity has presented itself. In apx. a year from now, I may have the opportunity to move anywhere in the continental US. I need some suggestions, help and recommendations from my more well traveled friends.

The lady and I are most likely looking to keep it north of the Mason Dixon Line and extreme South West. (Not a fan of the extreme heat, however the Southern most we'd be wiling to travel would be North Carolina). Most likely ruling out California as well due to the high taxes. We are an active couple and don't have any kids yet. We bike, golf, row, camp, ski, enjoy photography and other outdoorsy things. Being close in proximity to a prominent food scene is also a must. At the minimum, we'd most likely be here for 4 years, so we're only interested in renting for the immediate future.

Suggestions????

Update....

The old lady has been feverishly travelling the states on interviews for her upcoming residency.

So far, the leading candidates have been the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and oddly enough, Madison, WI. We also liked Anderson and Seneca, South Carolina even though we initially wanted to stay out of the South. Still to be visited are Maine, Connecticut, NYC, Columbus, OH and probably the most intriguing... Billings, MT (just outside of Yellowstone). Exciting months ahead. Mr. Cleveland could be uprooted very soon.....

I would have to pick just outside Orlando Florida.

WIth the ousing prices down there (and the cost of living going up and up here in Connecticut) we miht just have to pick up and move in the next few years.

I've been to Colorado, I want to hit Wyoming & Montana in the summer months... I have a childhood friend that guides out of Green River, Wyoming ...

I'll be in Montana in December. Already booked a 2 day snow mobile ride through Yellowstone. Can't wait!

Until you said food was a must, I was going to suggest Flagstaff, AZ. It has just about everything else.

2nd suggestion, Denver area.

Where I live now, I am surrounded by Lake Erie. I think I would freak if I would have to live in a desert and without a nearby large body of water.

I was once in Yellowstone on the 4th of July and we had snow flurries..... May have been in '69 or '70....

Where I live now, I am surrounded by Lake Erie. I think I would freak if I would have to live in a desert and without a nearby large body of water.

Yep, that pretty much rules out the southwest. I loved Colorado, but the lakes were an afterthought. You had stuff like Horsetooth reservoir which is 6 miles long by 1/4 mile wide. People put yachts into "lakes" that aren't much longer than the boat.

Madison is a pretty good choice if you can handle a winter that is a bit tougher than Cleveland. The UP is pretty barren and doesn't seem to meet a lot of your musts, especially the food thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)