If You Could Move Anywhere in the US, Where Would it Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
An interesting opportunity has presented itself. In apx. a year from now, I may have the opportunity to move anywhere in the continental US. I need some suggestions, help and recommendations from my more well traveled friends.

The lady and I are most likely looking to keep it north of the Mason Dixon Line and extreme South West. (Not a fan of the extreme heat, however the Southern most we'd be wiling to travel would be North Carolina). Most likely ruling out California as well due to the high taxes. We are an active couple and don't have any kids yet. We bike, golf, row, camp, ski, enjoy photography and other outdoorsy things. Being close in proximity to a prominent food scene is also a must. At the minimum, we'd most likely be here for 4 years, so we're only interested in renting for the immediate future.

Suggestions????

Until you said food was a must, I was going to suggest Flagstaff, AZ. It has just about everything else.

2nd suggestion, Denver area.

I started to suggest Boulder, CO, or possibly Washington Park area south of downtown Denver. I'd move back to Colorado in a heartbeat. Some of the resort areas could fill the requirements as well. Sounds more like Vail or Aspen than Crested Butte or Breckenridge though. Lots of folks really love Aspen, but I must admit that the place kind of creeps me out.

What about Oregon? Anyone ever live in Portland? Or Asheville, NC? I'm very interested in those two cities as well. Not too hot on Denver.

I haven't lived in Portland but I've been there many times, wonderful city, although a bit damp. :) My daughter lives in Corvallis and I love that city. I'm not so sure that it would meet your culinary standards though.

HD MM said:
What about Oregon? Anyone ever live in Portland? Or Asheville, NC? I'm very interested in those two cities as well. Not too hot on Denver.

Asheville, NC is alright but the only reason I haven't already left the SE is my parents getting older. That said, I'm in North Georgia and I'd imagine it is more humid here. Asheville is elevated so the weather can change in an instant in the winter but, unlike many fellow southerners, I enjoy that. I would assume the taxes would be a bit more affordable than other areas but if you plan to rent that might not be such a factor. It may just be North Georgia but the pace is terribly slow down here. I'm talking riding behind someone going 20 mph for miles at the time because they want to keep a slow pace and could never be wrong so don't bother talking politics (depending on party) and if you slap a decal of a sports team from up north or out west on the car or identify with those areas in any way they automatically hate you. I had some prick pop off at me one morning at a gas station (they're favorite hangout) about a Canada decal on the back of my truck and the NFL (not getting started on teams but it is a northern one) tag on the front. He told me to go back home before he whipped me (I'm from the South). With my background in karate as well as something else, I invited him to make the first move and he declined. Months later he killed his whole family and then himself.

If I could go anywhere it would probably be in New England or Upstate NY. I went to the area in October (first time there in the fall) and loved the people, outdoor stuff and the cooler climate. I have to admit, though, New Hampshire stole it for me and I was also fond of Maine, Vermont, Lake Champlain and Upstate NY. Quebec was nice but, hey, were talking U.S. I have heard property taxes can be quite expensive in VT and the difference between there and Upstate NY was significant at least for the homes I looked at. I wish I knew more about NH, ME and PA taxes. You might look at someplace closer to Boston or at least someplace within driving distance of Montreal.

Of course, the Pacific NW is beautiful as well. I think Northern CA, Oregon and Washington are just great. And a wild card (though far south) would be Saint Augustine, FL. Out of the way for snow (the only real bummer) but tons of history, lots to do and Jacksonville, Daytona and Orlando all within 90 minutes plus the coast nearby. Can't speak for Minnesota but I'd kill to see it based off of what I have heard. Typed all if this on an iPhone.... Whew! ;)

I cracked up the other evening while watching "How The States Got Their Shapes". They were talking about southern Maine & how the locals referred to people from Massachusetts who apparently have overwhelmed southern Maine. The locals referred to them as "Mass holes". :rolleyes::bow:haha
All jokes aside I prefer more of a rural area regardless of location. As far as culinary options the best food you can get is prepared in your own house. Also I believe the answer to your question has many more answers than 1 person can process & none of them are necessarily wrong.

Great question as I have been seriously considering this subject for the past couple of years. In my case, my primary network is in the DC Metro area because of my Defense/Homeland Security affiliation...but I am getting so, so tired of the area. Lots of good job, but I hate the commute and there are so many transients in the area that we've never gotten that "warm & fuzzy" community feeling - it just never quite felt like home. My wife wants to move to Oregon, but we don't know anyone there nor have any family in the area...and finding good paying jobs is much more difficult. We thought that we would like Colorado, but I've passed through Colorado Springs, Aurora and Denver a half-dozen times while working (spent a least 6-weeks in the state) and...well, I didn't get that warm & fuzzy feeling. More later...

Yeah, you don't want to move to Colorado......

and we don't any more to move here. ;)

Can I move back? Please? I'll try to bring Rocky back with me.

We thought that we would like Colorado, but I've passed through Colorado Springs, Aurora and Denver a half-dozen times while working (spent a least 6-weeks in the state) and...well, I didn't get that warm & fuzzy feeling. More later...
That's kind of like saying that you drove through the McDonalds drive-thru and didn't get a feel why parents would like the Playplace :)
These places are not Colorado.

Along the way to Oregon, I plan on visiting Montana and Wyoming. Living near Yellowstone wouldn't be so bad. I've always admired the beauty there. Plus, I'm pretty sure Wyoming and Montana have ZERO state income taxes. I just wonder if I would go insane living in such a desolate area of the country.

Along the way to Oregon, I plan on visiting Montana and Wyoming. Living near Yellowstone wouldn't be so bad. I've always admired the beauty there. Plus, I'm pretty sure Wyoming and Montana have ZERO state income taxes. I just wonder if I would go insane living in such a desolate area of the country.

Jackson Hole will have some of the dining you want, at least part of the year. The town kind of closes down in spring and fall though. The rest of Wyoming is kind of isolated. Be prepared to drive an hour or more in order to buy groceries or get a prescription refilled. The "BIG" cities of Cheyenne, Casper and Laramie would be small towns anywhere else. Montana is even more so.

For me personally, not related to the original post, I would love to live in a nice median sized mountain town with snow skiing about 9 months of the year, and hiking and mountain biking around 6 months of the year. Where they average around 200 to 400 inches of snow and summer high temps are mostly in the 70s and 80s.

For me personally, not related to the original post, I would love to live in a nice median sized mountain town with snow skiing about 9 months of the year, and hiking and mountain biking around 6 months of the year. Where they average around 200 to 400 inches of snow and summer high temps are mostly in the 70s and 80s.

Check out Alaska. :)

Places I lived-
So. California in the desert.
Anchorage and Fairbanks AK
Lancaster Co PA
San Antonio TX.
Middletown NY
Jacksonville, FL
Ft Leonardwood, Mo.
Ft. Polk, LA
Ft. Benning GA
Ft Drum, NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts