If you could pick a DMA to live in

For me it would be being able to go back to the days of Distant nets, Denver, NY, and LA - but in HD for all of them. That way I'd have three time zones to pick for networks, and the fun of watching the crazy LA news - there was always a refinery fire or a slow-speed chase on the freeway :D

For me it would be being able to go back to the days of Distant nets, Denver, NY, and LA - but in HD for all of them. That way I'd have three time zones to pick for networks, and the fun of watching the crazy LA news - there was always a refinery fire or a slow-speed chase on the freeway :D

I Agree. I have lived and been to other parts of the country and, although I live here, I have to say that LA local news is the "worst" as far a alarmist presentation and out of breath live coverage of a tree having fallen in Rancho Cucamonga. There is a ton of news so the competition for the viewer is FIERCE.

Yet, is really is the best when true disasters happen such as the fires, earthquakes, floods, mud slides, entire hillsides falling, and yes, we have a ton of refineries here and they do go kaboom, and manufacturing is the city's and regions biggest industry, so there is always some industrial place on fire or chemical release causing evacuations, and those tragic and horrible commuter train wrecks that never seem to scare away passengers because the freeway traffic really is that bad. It really is the wackiest TV news anywhere. And the irony is that it is more compelling than any of the fictional stuff that the prime time shows try to do.

I love it when the L.A. anchors, being forced to read such alarmist copy about some STUPID, news item regarding some vapid trend, never miss an opportunity to make a sarcastic, very funny wisecrack or talk to each other about how really "important" that news item was, ". . .Did you know about that, Colleen?" "No, wow. Now, I'm really concerned; I'm going to check mine as soon as I get home." "Oh, well, you do that, and let us know." Then they both start trying to keep from laughing. Thank goodness they know that what they have to report on or read is tripe, just like the audience knows. I've never seen so many anchors behave so mischievously (letting us know that this stuff is garbage) in any other city.

And our politicians are PRICELESS. LA local news, the best, the worst, the funniest. And they have all that money do it with. I admit, I tune it in sometimes because I know it really is some of the best "entertainment" on TV. What is interesting is how many people I've met in other parts of the county who have access to LA stations also find the LA Local News compelling, not New York, etc, but only really LA for being far more compelling. Bob Barker and Lilly Tomlin, among other animal lovers, attending the LA City Council meeting to set free an elephant at the LA ZOO, but that would cost more money than keeping it, so our ever cheap council pretty much told Bob and Lilly, too bad.

So, yes, for me, LA DMA, all the way.

I too miss the old distant nets days. If you need a "fix" for those hiway chases or live news from just about anywhere try
LiveNewsCameras.com - Watch Live Streaming News From the USA & World - Beta Version

Has all the major US markets (and many international) and you can also watch some of the raw feeds coming into the station. Lots of car chases, wildfire coverge etc. Watched Chicago some today for the local "politics". If you tune in around the time they broadcast the local news in those time zones you can easily watch the whole newscast.

If we are ONLY talking about the TV service aspect, I really do like the Chicago DMA, for several reasons.
First, all of their network stations (big 4) are all O&O, which means it VERY rare for them to preempt network prog for idiotic crap like infomercials, telethons, or stupid local crappy prog folks could care less about - like my "real" ones constantly do down here in Springpatch!
Of course, all of the networks are now in HD (big 4, CW, MTN, PBS, plus an independent)
Speaking of the independent, (WCIU-DT26), while the main channel carries great syndicated prog, it also carries their locally originated classic TV stations ME-TV & ME-TOO, which both TOTALLY blow away TV Land &/or Nick at Nite. (unfortunately, DBS ONLY carries ME-TV :( ) These 2 stations are actually LP analog stations, but are also subs on WCIU-DT. There is a 4th sub, which is the ThisTV network.
The market also has 3 PBS affiliates to choose from, as well as 4 OTA spanish networks.

Now, as far as actually LIVING in the Chicago area - NO way in hell would I choose to live there. :eek: Between the political idiots running the city AND Cook county, I do NOT want to have to pay lots of my income to support these crooks. Actually, I am SO sick of our winters, & the political client in IL overall, that I have vowed to physically move (NOT "move" :D ) to someplace warmer when I retire. Unfortunately, I doubt the Chicago spot beam will reach where I'm going, so I guess I'll be loosing the Chicago DMA when that happens. ;) :D But, I AM going to try to find my retirement place that has FiOS. ;)

Last edited:
I grew up in the Fresno area so I will pick them to follow local sports teams and such. I can always just watch the local Fayetteville ones with my antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts