If you could pick a DMA to live in

I live in California but by law must receive locals from Reno, NV. I would much rather get Sacramento locals.

this is a very stupid law. When elections are near, I get bombarded by political commercials for Nevada candidates and propositions that I obviously cannot vote for or against. Since I get 90% of my info from television, I never hear about on tv issues or candidates I can actually vote for.

It is amazing to me that lawmakers shoot themselves in the foot in this manner. The whole DMA thing needs to be re-examined in Congress imho. Maybe I SHOULD call the police!

update:

Then again, I see that Reno HD is uplinked to Ceil 2, including Reno Fox 11. Yes!!

Iirc, Fox HD is not available on DN from Sacramento. I suppose watching the Daytona 500 in HD from Reno is way better then watching political ads from Calif. :)

Now, if we could just get PBS in HD, life with Dish Network would be really really good!

Last edited:
Um... I did pick where I live. Are some of you being held against your will? You should call the police.

Oh Snap! You got Told. :D

Yeah folks, the boundary isn't always perfect. I am geographically closer to my assigned DMA but prefer my newspapers and news from the one that is a shorter drive, hence the one I go to and give a flip about. Another note, I cannot receive an NBC through DISH that is half the distance of my DMA and my DMA don't cover my local weather closings.:mad: I use OTA for my preferred DMA+1 which gives me multiple options when local programs interrupt or more like NFL games, I have a better pick at times. On my OTA, I cannot pull in the ABC and FOX of my assigned DMA but can get all 4 from the other plus 3 of the 4 from a 3rd DMA that is twice as far away as my assigned DMA.

Personally, I could care less if others "move" to get another DMA, if DISH cared that much, they would audit all accounts that have separate service and billing addresses. If they pay on time, DISH shouldn't care unless the law bothers them about it. When I first subscribed to DISH in 1999, I had NY and LA networks up until the gov't fuc*%& it up b/c of the bitcha$$ cable companies.

Lastly, are we not supposed to be courteous and only post properly in a thread on topic? My preferred DMA would be NY followed by whomever has the hottest women for anchors, that makes the news better ;).

Acer

Growing up suburban Philly but living closer to Lancaster and Harrisburg, I'd still LOVE to trade the Lancaster/Harrisburg/York/Lebanon market for the Philadelphia Market. (I REALLY miss channel 6 news)

Well, if money was no option, the Honolulu DMA, because, hey, it's Hawaii. Sure, I's lose some national HD, but I don't care, I'm in Hawaii.

As you can see, my most recent avatar is a reflection of this desire.

I'm going to have to agree with HDRoberts.

I didn't realize Hawaii was this affordable :)

87-1958A Pakeke St Waianae, HI 96792 Leeward Coast Hawaii

Plenty of reasonably affordable property in Hawaii, if you know where to look.

If only I could find suitable employment there, I'd be set. I did try after college.

Was even better years ago. My father almost bought some oceanfront property when I was last there with them in '01 for less than $50k. Since then, values skyrocketed. But he didn't. Since he lost his job shortly after, he probably would have had to sell it anyway. Just one of life's many missed opportunities.

i am under the impression that you have to be a native hawiian to 'own' land there. at least that's what my daughters' hawiian girlfriend told us.

The DMA (Chicago) I already "moved" to is perfect. Big Ten Network and Cubs games!!! But it looks like I'll be moving back to a Montana spotbeam or maybe even Idaho soon.

Last edited:
i am under the impression that you have to be a native hawiian to 'own' land there. at least that's what my daughters' hawiian girlfriend told us.

In some areas, like Niiahu (one of the smaller islands), that may be true. I also believe some natives want that to be the case. I think there are hoops to go through, but non natives definitely own property down there.

I have 'lived' in a few different DMA's and find that I like it best being in the spotbeam of a DMA because I then can get all of the SD channels that I cannot get on CONUS DMA's. For me that is Salt Lake City. I don't really watch SD channels but my family still does and we get about twelve channels from this DMA. With Denver and Chicago I only got four.

Of course 'us Salt Lake Citians' still don't get ABC in hidef from dish network.

Wow only $300 grand for a 1200 sqft house.

I guess I'll sell my 2500 sqft house for the $150 grand we paid for it 2 years ago (custom built home, too) and flee to the islands where the dollar menu at McDonalds is $2.50.

I actually looked at a series of DMA's based on how many different major league baseball teams I could receive on the local RSN's. It looks like Iowa was a winner, being in the claimed coverage area of 6 different teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)