If you had a choice:Satellite or Cable

My goodness on how the times have changed over the years. Back when I first got into DBS a topic like “If you had a choice:Satellite or Cable” you would have been laughed out of town. DBS was great and had very good picture quality even better than today before E* added a lot of channels. E* pic quality of the early years can’t be touched by anybody today because it was the best although it was considered to be “soft” by some.

When we old timers came to DBS there wasn’t any competition at all. It was either 50 or so crappy analog channels from cable or a hundred channels with a good picture from DBS. So many of us paid a lot more money than you do today to install DBS and we did it and had a lot of fun because nothing could compare to DBS at the time. Here we got the channels that we wanted instead of what cable slammed down our throat and with picture quality that blew cable away.

We were a picky bunch and over time cable had to change to become better to compete before they lost everybody to DBS. So without DBS, cable wouldn’t be anywhere near as good today. And now Cable has many of the same channels and has a decent picture quality with digital cable and even some of the analog looks good. Then add discounted broadband and now cable is very competitive when they once royally sucked.

When it comes to TV and only TV DBS is still better because the DVR boxes are much more advanced and the price is still better on DBS but I will not miss pixelised football games on DBS. I have cable now and the picture quality from I Robot from my DVR was really good although there is a volume reduction problem on my DVR.

Who knows what the future will bring. Perhaps we'll belong to www.cableguys.com in a few years. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)