If you had a choice:Satellite or Cable

where I use to live I had satellite even though I had free cable (it was included with the rent). Analog only and there was lots of issues.

The big one is the locals are at 3,6,8,10 and 21....but cable put them at 4,5,12,13,11 and put OTHER channels at 3,6,8,10

so it was nice watching something and hearing the OTA channel

Now where I live cable is still more expensive.....but they are improving.

so its still satellite for me :)

No contest for me. No OTAs due to home location and terrible cable company (Cox). Dish usually gives you a bit more for your money (although we need more HD and a lease for the 942 for current subs). I've generally been pretty happy with them.

da Doug

Cable VS. Satellite

Im gonna throw a monkey wrench into the poll.

Im going with ota digital Heres my reasons.

I dont have to pay any money to watch commercials.
I get all my local networks in HD ( when availible)
The Nice shiny aluminum antenna on my roof shines and twinles with the morning sun.
And best of all:
Ota HDTV is FREE!!!!!!

dodge: also, OTA digital is a free source of Dolby Digital 5.1 (... & 2.0) content :D

I'm not very familiar with the cable system in my area (TWC) but I have the impression they might "win" against DBS right now, except for price. DBS is still cheaper for anything worthwhile. The TWC hardware here is definitely better than any E* hardware I've seen though. I can't really comment on PQ though, and haven't kept up on the TWC HD offerings.

Of course, personally I chose satellite for tech geek reasons--it's just :cool: to me. :)

But I also have OTA digital (& analog) and FTA satellite, both of which are FREE (except for purchasing the hardware) and provide decent enough content for me if I ever had to cut costs.

cdru: Linux (duh ;)) and Chevy (I'm from a GM family + Corvette is all that matters :))

earth station said:
I'm not talking about the individual technologies of DTH and Cable. I only mean they are along the same lines as far as the signal aquisition method. Networks send signal to satellite - cable companies receive from satellite. networks send signal to satellite - satellite companies receive from satellite. that is all i mean!

The technologies/frequencies/etc... between the two are obviously different, but I didn't think I would have to clarify on this forum by god.

I knew what you meant. ;)

PILMAN said:
Just wondering about this. Obviously there are many places you just can't get Cable, some seem to choose satellite over cable due to price, some choose satellite due to portability. But if you had a choice what would you pick? I have choices for both so I picked satellite just because I like the content they provide.

That's a great question. I've had Dish for I guess 6 yrs now..and have loved it. We have one 811 and one 721 which has worked very well for us. But currently Comcast has what looks like a terrific HD DVR (2 tuner) for very few bucks, and has a good mix of HD options available. I'd stick with Dish if I could get a low cost dual tuner HD DVR, but seriously debating dropping Dish for Comcast.

The only difference I see (as a technically challenged and non HD person) is that with satellite you can get distant locals so that I can get the network and "super channels" 2 and 3 hours earlier here on the west coast. Which to me is worth getting satellite for.

I have my choice of either, and I have been a Dish customer for years, I decided to try cable a while back. They came out and installed a motorola HD DVR. In six hours, I had the Motorola taken out and on it's way back.

Channel changing was slow as hell compared to Dish, HD, although they offered more, was pushed in 720P, so compared to Dish it was like HD light. Guide was slow as a turtle and the 1st channels 1-100 were analog and snow/fuzzy. The digital SD stuff was as good or better than dish, but the rest was crappy.

The price was sure right though, no install fees, and $60 bucks a month for a year, and that included cable modem.

I already had the modem package and it was $50 a month, so cable was only $10 extra.

I ended of sticking with Dish, if they would have had HD in 1080, I would have gave it more of a chance.

Just for the fun of it, I called Comcast. I was at a friends house this weekend and used their dual-tuner HDTV receiver (Motorola I think 6412). True it was a tad slower than my 721, but not bad at all. The guide looks vastly better than the old cable box that I saw about a year ago that had ads all over it. Only thing I couldn't see is a 30s fast forward on the remote, but I have been told this can be activated or found somehow.

They offer a 16 mos. "Dish Win Back" promotion for $50.94/month, Digital Classic with HBO and Starz, which includes the dual-tuner DVR. For an extra $4/month it goes up to their higher Digital tier, which includes Encore, Disney, ESPNHD, Disc HD, and INHD. BTW I live in Michigan.

My primary gripe about Dish is lack of a low cost HD DVR receiver. I really like the 721 that we have, but de-activated our 811 simply because we're used to time shifting (can't stand watching TV without it). The hell if I'm going to pay $250 just to lease a HD box if I can go with this Comcast deal.

This isn't a bad deal at all, and I'm seriously considering it. Worse case scenario is I switch back to Dish, or DirecTV, when their HD DVR prices come down. Doesn't seem like much of a loss.

I honestly don't know what is better in my area. I live in a military town which we are considered a smaller town. We don't have sidewalks and we sure as heck aren't a popular town, I live on the panhandle of florida and we have Cox Communications for our cable provider. While they offer Cable Internet which I use they don't have there own backbone, it's in Atlanta so that shows right there the cable company here isn't that huge. I had Cox Digital Cable at the start but I had a really old tv at the time. Picture wasn't good at all but I figured "it's just tv". It was very soft/fuzzy for the standard channels, never tried HD with COX so I wouldn't know. When my dad passed away we had insurance money and bought a new house and I always wanted a really big tv or something nice. I bought a Plasma Tv at circuit city for 3,000 dollars and it was a bargain for the picture. I had heard Satellite was the way to go for picture quality and a lot of our neighbors had satellite tv over cable on our street so I figured I'd give it a try. I got dish and it looked pretty good on the plasma but I was using a svideo connection from a 322 receiver. On our standard TV's you could see a HUGE increase in quality of the picture. When I bought the 811 receiver and started using component (whcih I prefer over DVI) I was blown away at the picture. I don't know how coxs HD compares. Both have similar pricing so due to that I really don't see a reason to switch. COX calls us a lot saying "Well our service doesn't go out when it rains". My service NEVER goes out and if it's a bad thunderstorm I turn off the tv's anyways.

I have already made my choice and it is satellite. What is good about Dish Network is that you can drop your package back and not even have to have a basic package. Also it is portable. Seems more flexible than cable.

We dropped Dish cause we had cable for free and the picture quality was a hell of alot better than Dish. Folks can argue it all day long but event he wife that knows jack about electronics saw the increase in quality over Dish. This week they came out and finally said Time Warner and Comcast bought Adelphia so we'll have to see if it still holds. In our neck of the woods we'll be taken over by Time Warner. They have more HD than Dish, digital channels, and the basic analog package we have now will increase by 20 channels once everything is hammered out from the looks of things. Unless the quality takes a signifigant dip south I take free cable over a $50 Disha bill any day of the week.

HD is not a factor for me. Our local cable is Charter, and their monthly fee is $45+ for extended basic. That doesn't include a DVR or Tivo fee. I went with Dish in January (upgraded from just antenna) and have been very happy, even with my 522's quirks. Charter's service in my area is terrible, as evidenced by the number of dishes (and, for that matter, antennas) on the houses.

If I could choose WHAT cable carried, I would probably go with cable. You don't need anything on your building, you can easily split it to several TVs (analog channels),
they will rent you the DVR affordably, and you can get your broadband internet on the same bill.
Since I can't choose the line-up (which doesn't include things like the superstations, HDNet, and others), I have both cable and Dish Network.
I too wish Dish would lease the 942 to existing subs. I just can't spend 700 smackers for something that could (arguably) be obsolete in relatively short time. I can see the virtues in purchasing equipment, as stated by those who dislike leasing, but I have been stuck with several Dish boxes when something better came along. I have never had to sell a cable box on ebay.
To each his/her own, I reckon.

Neither. If given a choice and all things being equal, I would probably opt for the good ole phone company; Verizon FTTP/FiOS: one bill with discounts for local phone, cell phone, broadband (bye Adelphia!), and TV. Personally, I watch HD and maybe a handful (less than 10) SD channels that we can't receive free over-the-air. IMO, Verizon's, SBCs, etc., will help drive down prices and/or increase programming choices...not having to subscribe to the gazillion useless channel package in order to receive HD or the one or two channels you really want to watch.

Three weeks ago (before E* announced VOOM channels), cable (Adelphia) was a definite winner for me: 18 HD channels, lower pricing, rental HD DVR with no upfront costs, VOD, no long-term commitments.

Now, with the addition of VOOM channels, E* will get my business.

Whoever offers more HD channels will get my money. As simple as that.

Satellite wins in my area as cable just got too expensive, and Time Warner wasn't as accomodating as they should've been for a long time customer in great standing.

I am, however, looking forward to SBC's IPTV service which will hopefully be up & running within the next year or so. The MediaPortal which will be SBC's stb looks sweet. Hopefully it'll live up to my expectations.

Dish Network is the best choice overall (content + cost). Our cable company pales by comparison. They do have high speed internet, but then they prohibit other ISPs! They get none of my money.

da Doug

Have Charter Cable available in my area, but most of the channels are not digital. Can't stand crappy looking channels, and don't like their very limited HD line-up or their higher cost, so certainly prefer satellite to cable hands-down.

I have the option of free expanded basic cable or free AT60+locals. I didn't switch to satellite until I purchased a HDTV. Frankly, if it weren't for high def I'd prolly still have cable.

Why?
1. I could use my existing remotes.
2. Multiple TVs with no receivers.
3. No added wiring for my MDU home.
4. Simple reluctance to change.

I really don't watch a ton of TV so I just want to catch the shows I like, ESPN, CSI, and Adult Swim, all of which are available on both providers.

Would I switch back if Comcast made me a better offer? No, mostly because of reason 4 but also because it's clear satellites are making better headway at the tech end of the market. Cable will almost always be limited by bandwidth more than satellite. At least until fiber is run to each home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)