If you have a federal student loan.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
If you have a federal student loan and a federally contracted company by the name of ECMC is handling some of your information your identity may be at risk. I received a letter in the mail yesterday to that effect stating that 3.3 million names addresses birth dates and SSN's were stolen during a robbery on March 21st.

ECMC has student loan data theft

ECMC has student loan data theft
3.3 million borrowers may be affected

Updated: Thursday, 15 Apr 2010, 6:07 AM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 14 Apr 2010, 4:02 PM EDT

HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) - The headquarters of student loan guarantor Educational Credit Management Corporation (ECMC) had a data theft with information on 3.3 million student load borrowers.

During the weekend of March 20-21, someone stole information on addresses, birthdays and social security numbers; however, no checking or credit card information was stolen.

Anyone who believes they may be affected by this incident can go to this website: National Student Loan Data System for Students

Or you may call ECMC at 1-877-449-3568.

ECMC says that if you are affected, you will receive a letter in the mail from them that gives you a code to activate a suite of free credit protection services. They began sending out letters on March 31.

There are more stories showing up now and so far I've found out that there are three variations of the letters with one stating that the theft involved a safe being removed from the facility involved which makes me wonder if the safe was even secured to the floor.

Reading more stories it's coming out that this is affecting past students as well who are still paying on student loans so if you or someone in your immediate family has any outstanding federal student loans it would be a good idea to check to found out if ECMC is the guarantor of the loan(s).

I seem to go through this every couple years.

First the VA laptop, and now TACOM having an unsecured database.
Seems all my identity problems are with the Fed's. :rolleyes:

This one ended up being with a contracted company that the feds were in the works on taking over control by July is what I've heard but cant confirm yet. I thought there was a VA laptop and another laptop or thumb drive either in CO or KS some time in the last three or so years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)