IFC contradiction

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
The "Scream" HD 1/17 6pm presentation showed "The following presentation contains / Language / Violence / Viewer discretion advised / ALL IFC MOVIES HAVE NOT BEEN EDITED FOR CONTENT OR TIME." followed by "This Film had been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen and to run in the time allotted."

Well which is it? Or is the second only for the SD viewer and those not skipping commercials?

First commercial was 20 min. into the film. Archiving not viewing.

-Ken

The "Scream" HD 1/17 6pm presentation showed "The following presentation contains / Language / Violence / Viewer discretion advised / ALL IFC MOVIES HAVE NOT BEEN EDITED FOR CONTENT OR TIME." followed by "This Film had been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen and to run in the time allotted."

Well which is it? Or is the second only for the SD viewer and those not skipping commercials?

First commercial was 20 min. into the film. Archiving not viewing.

-Ken

Probably referring to the fact that Scream is a 2.35:1 movie being cropped for 16:9 TVs. Which is almost as annoying as if it was edited.

Does Dish carry IFC in HD? I could not find it in the guide. I ended up finding IFC up in like the high 300s. I used to be down in the 100s before the 'fight'!

Does Dish carry IFC in HD? I could not find it in the guide. I ended up finding IFC up in like the high 300s. I used to be down in the 100s before the 'fight'!

IFC was 131; IFC is now 298 and now available in HD. AMC took the 131 slot after HDNet Movies took 130 (although still 383) as an SD and HD replacement during the dispute.

Sundance Channel also moved upon its return from 389 to 358, but the channel also moved packages from BB @ Home to AT200. The channel was even in the Showtime premium package at channel 332 if I recall correctly for a while until it was moved on Dish some time after AMC Networks (formerly Rainbow Media) acquired it.

Fuse is also in HD and came back about 2 years later to channel 164. I think it used to be on 158. I thought the Madison Square Garden Company bought Fuse from Rainbow Media a few years back around 2008.

Last edited:
I thought was going to be about IFC showing Indie classics like The Perfect Storm, Scream, and maybe Transformers. They should just stop with the rebranding with the original name and change it to Lost It's Way Channel (LIW) XIV as with all the other niche channels that turned to mainstream broadcasting after being acquired. Surprised NBC Sports Channel doesn't start showing movies. Heck, that the Cartoon Network still shows predominantly cartoon related programming is a miracle!

Yeah I also saw that disclaimer before the start of the movie, "Full Frontal" on IFC. I ended up not recording it after seeing that. I haven't seen IFC put this disclaimer anywhere else though. The "run in the time allotted" is the one that bothers me the most. That seems to indicate they cut out parts of the movie so it can fit into a specific time slot.

I don't want to sound ungrateful. Thank you for Dish Network for bringing us IFC HD and this is a criticism of IFC itself actually.

Are any of the movies on IFC HD actually HD? Because I recorded some movies and picture quality seems sub par to HD movies I've recorded on other channels. It's like the commercials on IFC are definitely High Definition but when you get to the movies themselves, not so much.

I found a movie on IFC last night and ended up watching a second. Keeping me tuned for two movies in a row is a great accomplishment for AMC networks, imo.

I did use a second tuner to buffer commercial time. I hate commercials.

Yeah I also saw that disclaimer before the start of the movie, "Full Frontal" on IFC.
Be glad you decided not to watch it. What a piece of pretentious film school crap. I generally enjoy independent and art-house films. But, this was just trying way too hard to be one. I think Soderbergh was trying to atone for his commercial success, or something. It was just dreadful.

The "run in the allotted time" could be for lots of reasons unrelated to cutting the film. If they shrink and speed up the end credits (which I have seen lots of stations do) that is also a message they would run...

Not only speeding up the end credits but also making them 1/2 or less frame and showing the lead-in for the next show. Overlapping to add 15 or 30 seconds more commercials. Bah humbug. And why can't they get the commercials on the 1/2 hour instead of missing the queue and splitting a program into the next recording? We know.

It makes a mess of my Futurama recordings. I have to do it a dozen times to get the smallest complete recording.
-Ken

I may have missed it, but one of the most common ways to get a film to fit into time slots without cutting content is by time compression. Essentially the movie is shown 3-8% faster than the original 24FPS film playback time. The sound's pitch is altered so it doesn't "sound" sped up. All the movie channels do this in one form or another. When HBO showed Star Wars (ep 4) back in the stone age, they ran it in a two hour time slot, credits and all. Star Wars is 2 hours and 5 minutes long. So HBO time compressed the hell out of the movie.

I read somewhere that the time compression can also be of the form of shortening pauses between dialog, so that the actual dialog itself isn't sped up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)