Illinois House Bill 5440

You all are behind the times... This is going to pass without any lobby from the satellite industry! WOW Charlie must not care anymore! :D Effectively this puts a 5 percent satellite tax "franchise fee" on your satellite bill in Illinois. Effective immediately once signed into law.

Happy New Years and Cheers!

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...GAID=11&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=65709&SessionID=84

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Creates the Direct Broadcast Satellite Service Providers Fee Act. Imposes a fee on the act or privilege of providing direct broadcast satellite service to a subscriber or customer in this State at the rate of 5% of the provider's gross revenue. Provides that the proceeds from the fee shall be deposited into the Education Assistance Fund. Provides that the Act is operative on July 1, 2012, and applies to the provision of direct broadcast satellite service on or after that date. Effective immediately.

Living in IL I can assure you the Satellite Lobby is fighting this bill hard! although frankly, this bill has been tried at least 3 times, and until they force Cable to service EVERY address in the state this bill will never pass through the State house.... reason being, too many downstate people (like me) that feel that hey we aren't using any cabling or licensing why should we pay for the cities that have cable... they may try but it's DOA

Living in IL I can assure you the Satellite Lobby is fighting this bill hard! although frankly, this bill has been tried at least 3 times, and until they force Cable to service EVERY address in the state this bill will never pass through the State house.... reason being, too many downstate people (like me) that feel that hey we aren't using any cabling or licensing why should we pay for the cities that have cable... they may try but it's DOA

Haven't read the temperature of the State House, but I wouldn't be too too surprised to see this pass. Mind you, I don't like the tax for their lack of use of infrastructure on the ground, but the state is hurting for revenue.

To add a tax to roughly 25% of the households (I think Direct + Dish market share is around that level) is an appealing source of revenue.

Haven't read the temperature of the State House, but I wouldn't be too too surprised to see this pass. Mind you, I don't like the tax for their lack of use of infrastructure on the ground, but the state is hurting for revenue.

To add a tax to roughly 25% of the households (I think Direct + Dish market share is around that level) is an appealing source of revenue.

I wouldn't be surprised either, however they'll have a LOT of negative advertising if they do, before I left EIU for Christmas Break the Champaign/Springfield stations were airing ads non-stop about the bill all in the negative for it.

I wouldn't be surprised either, however they'll have a LOT of negative advertising if they do, before I left EIU for Christmas Break the Champaign/Springfield stations were airing ads non-stop about the bill all in the negative for it.

Ads have nothing to do with the votes in the state house. It isn't a referendum, and the apathy of voters is monumental.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts