I'm back! The HD is gorgeous.

scooby2

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Chicago, IL
I had Dish for 2.5 years when the 622 came out but then moved and had DirecTV at my parents for a while and then UVerse for over a year plus. I got sick of being on the 1HD/3SD plan.

The installer (an actual Dish employee) brought a Dish 1000.2, a 622, and a 612. I asked if he had a 722 or 722k but he said all Dish has been giving him lately are 622's. So much for the idea of recording 2 OTA at once.

So a couple questions:

1. He did say I should call and complain and get the hard drive add on fee waived during the first three days. Is this something I should do even though I do not currently have a USB drive?

2. Shouldn't I have gotten a 1000.4 or is that not for Chicago? Signal on 129 is pretty low. 49-52 is about the max. Did they ever replace that wobbly old sat at 129?

3. For some reason the 612 was made the primary receiver and the 622 is the secondary. If the pricing increase is true, I would want these swapped. Do I need to call to do this?

Anything else that I should be aware of? I'm already using Dish Remote Access as Uverse had this. It claims to not use your internet connection. How the heck does that work? It shows what is recorded on each DVR.

Thanks,
Scooby

1. As a new customer (again) Dish is not obliged to give you a specific DVR. Did you ask for a 722K when you ordered??? You can call and see what they will do about the EHD charge, but there is no policy for that.
2. 49-52 is just fine for 129. Same as mine...no problems.
3. Just call and ask them to switch.

Try talking to them about the fact that you really need the 2 OTA signals that you can only get with the 722k. Also say the you don't want a refurb system which the 622 has to be since they are no longer made. If they won't budget go to the ceo email address and complain about the way that you were forced to take a refurbed 622 when you really want and new 722k. Also you might bring up that even though you can at present get 129 that after spring comes there maybe a tree in the way that will block it. I'm pretty sure that Chi town gets locals off 61.5. You can check that it is on 61.5 by using The List tab at the top of the page. Use the subscription version of the list and go to 61.5 and look for the Chi stations on it.

Thanks guys. Yes I did ask for a 722k but they said they could not guarantee what I would get. The 622 is definitely a refurb. The 612 was new in box however.

Scooby, why do you need two OTA tuners when TurboHD is gorgeous? Why? Because there is still a noticeable difference between OTA and the E* provide HD-Lite locals in the areas I have been to: DC, Baltimore, Richmond VA, Dallas, Detroit. I would continue to push for the 722k or buy one from The DishStore.

More than anything else he can record 4 things at once. Also OTA isn't alway better than E*. In my area the stations put out mediocre OTA on 2 of the stations and I can see better PQ from my LIL out of the area I have "moved" too.

More than anything else he can record 4 things at once. Also OTA isn't alway better than E*. In my area the stations put out mediocre OTA on 2 of the stations and I can see better PQ from my LIL out of the area I have "moved" too.

Same here. My local OTA is not as good as the area I "moved" to as well.

The signal meter has changed since you used to have dish.

50 is now like 80-85 was before.
The installer said it was ok but 50 out of 125 seems less than stellar. Good to hear its not bad. We had massive snow flakes last night and lots of freezing rain today. Not a single glitch.:)

Thanks guys. Yes I did ask for a 722k but they said they could not guarantee what I would get. The 622 is definitely a refurb. The 612 was new in box however.

Wow, this was not my experience as a new Dish sub a couple of months ago. i told them i wanted two 722k's, and that's what I got. not questions or issues whatsover.

I would not be a Dish sub right now if I had not gotten the DVR's I wanted, not the ones that were convenient for them. especially when the sub pays an upfront premium for a 2nd DVR....

Glad I got ahold of the right CSR when I placed my order!

Wow, this was not my experience as a new Dish sub a couple of months ago. i told them i wanted two 722k's, and that's what I got. not questions or issues whatsover.

I would not be a Dish sub right now if I had not gotten the DVR's I wanted, not the ones that were convenient for them. especially when the sub pays an upfront premium for a 2nd DVR....

Glad I got ahold of the right CSR when I placed my order!
It appears the 622 drive is toast so maybe I can get it replaced with a 722k. I was installed on Wednesday (12/23/09) and the drive is making a nasty ticking sound and the DVR just reboots continuously.

Now I have to re-setup all the family series recording/season pass/dish pass/whatever it is called. doh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts