I'm done with Dish, best way to cancel?

jkglazner

Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
California
Im not happy about the recent drop of Disney and ESPNEWS HD, the $17 fee for an extra 722, and still not having HD networks, despite Direct TV having them here. A new roommate is moving in who already has a contract with Direct TV, so I want to get rid of Dish. But I know they can hit you pretty hard if you quit early.

With them going back on things like Disney HD, is there any way I can get out of my contract WITHOUT having to pay an arm and a leg? Im not being cheap, I just hate how Dish has been lately, and I don't want them to profit one more cent from me. I have been thinking about dropping them for a little while, and the new roommate is a perfect time to do it.

if you are still under commitment, drop down to the cheapest package you can and then toss the receiver in the closet. once your commitment is done, send it back.

You will be hit with an early termination fee, no getting around it, its part of your contract. The fee depends on how many months you have left in your contract.

The termination fee now is $17.50 per month. Depends on how old your contract is. It was only $10 before the increase which is relatively new. Check your contract, it should have the amount in there, mine does.

You won't have any way to get out of the cancelation fees. Dish reserves the right to change programming and prices at any time and you agreed to that when you signe a contract. It is the same rules with DirecTV.

Call Dish and ask them what the cheapest packeage you can go to and just wait out the contract.

I don't agree with dropping to the lowest allowed subscription and riding it out.

At the most, the ETF is $17.50/month for the balance of the contract, could be as low as $10/month depending on his contract. And if I read my contract, I can find no package that will meet the minimum that won't be much more than that.

Say Dish family @$20, but that is hard to come by these days, so you probably are going to something about $30/month and you have to reduce to only one receiver to not get stuck with equipment fees.

Pay the ETF, grumble about it (I would), and move on.

Call the BBB, IF the extra receiver fees were lower when you signed up they MAY be able to get you out of the contract:)

E appears to prefer to settle BBB complaints probably thinking its cheaper than hurting future sales.....

while D has many more never settled complaints......

The numbers were posted within the last few days.

Just for the heck of it send the CEO@ECHOSTAR.COM address stating you want out or will file a BBB complaint because of the receiver fee jacking.... DONT mention your a poster here, that might effect their response. Better to be silent on this:). At least initially....

Let us know their response. It might help others:)

It doesn't. And I think you have to own your own equipment to get it anyway.

To Bob: Oh, forget it. Wasted typing, you'll keep on with your incessant rail against Dish no matter what anyone says. :(

Why should the OP pay anything when they might be able to get completely out of the contract?

No one else posted the idea:(

Why didnt YOU????

Why should the OP pay anything when they might be able to get completely out of the contract?

No one else posted the idea:(

Why didnt YOU????

The reason I didn't and don't now make that suggestion is that I don't agree with doing that. He signed the contract and it is very plain what they will and won't do, and they also have the clause that says 'we can change any and all fees and programs' or some such.

If he or you didn't like that, then you shouldn't have signed the contract to begin with.

Do I like all the terms? Definitely not, but I did agree to them. So did the OP, so did you.

And the cost for not fulfilling the contract is ETF and return shipping costs for the equipment.

I hope the BBB someday wises up to the fact that they are being used and abused and aiding contract breaches. Then the media writes about it and makes the particular company the bad guy.

where is the ignore button? and how do you know if you are being 'ignored'?

If you click on Bob Haller in any one of his posts, you get a drop down list. The last thing on the list is Add Bob Haller to Your Ignore List..... I don't know if there is a way to know who has you ON ignore.

If you click on Bob Haller in any one of his posts, you get a drop down list. The last thing on the list is Add Bob Haller to Your Ignore List..... I don't know if there is a way to know who has you ON ignore.

That's easy , you will know by the lack of a comments on his posts from certain members.:rolleyes:

The reason I didn't and don't now make that suggestion is that I don't agree with doing that. He signed the contract and it is very plain what they will and won't do, and they also have the clause that says 'we can change any and all fees and programs' or some such.

If he or you didn't like that, then you shouldn't have signed the contract to begin with.

Do I like all the terms? Definitely not, but I did agree to them. So did the OP, so did you.

And the cost for not fulfilling the contract is ETF and return shipping costs for the equipment.

Well who else jacks up rates as much as E has? Should they be rewarded, a 30 buck a month increase can be a real issue for some espically in this economy.

Business is business if E lets people out of contracts they must have a $$ motive, wether its from doing whats right, or the more likely in the best interest of E for any number of reasons........

No matter what you believe, people should be told of the option! after all his question was how do I get out of the contract?

Incidently I had been a sub for 13 years, never took a free upgrade or other freebie and was under no contract:) and saved 45 bucks in return lease shipping fees

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts