I'm getting 811 install in one week, what should I expect?

hdtv1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 1, 2004
Hello guys,

I just left Directv and decided to give Dish a shot since they offer free equipments. I have signed up for the Digital Home Advantage package with two 811 receivers. I have an external terk antenna on the roof and it received MOST of the local HDs with my old Hughes E-86 Directv model. I used a signal combiner for the antenna and satellite feed.

My condo is pre-wired for two separate coaxials (Comcast cable reason A and B). Is it better to tell the installer to run two separate lines (one for OTA antenna and one for the satellite) to the the 811s receiver? or to use signal combiner.

Also, I have a panasonic 50 inch plasma that have hdmi input. From my reading that the 811 have the DVI output. Should I use this or use component video? Does installer give me the dvi to hdmi cable with the unit or I have to purchase it myself.

Thanks

The installer will most likely want to run new RG-6 - unless he can convince himself that the old cable is swept for 2150MHz. There's nothing wrong with using a diplexer (I doubt the existing device is actually a combiner - they do something different) to add the OTA signal to the satellite feed - if he thinks that's the right thing to do for your installation. If he's going to run new RG-6, you might convince him to run dual feed - so you can upgrade to a 921 or 942 sometime down the road.

I have 3 lines diplexed into one coming from the attic

1. an OTA antenna input
2. SAT IN directly from the DISH
3. An output from my DVR located upstairs

and i now problems with signal loss or loss of OTA signal. I measured each channel before and after the setup. But Simon is right, you may want a dual feed for later upgrade, better off to have someone else do it.

simons,

I don't think there is a need for them to rerun the rg-6 cables. Every units of my condominium are pre-wired with rg-6 cables. Like protoboard said, I'm just affraid that the 811 caused problems with OTA signals if I use a combiner. Is it always best to use separate line?

doesnt seem to be hurting my results, but none of my cables are very long. Maybe try both ways. Like I said though if I had the opportunity i would have rather had the seperate lines for ease of use, diplexers require lots of connections

Not all RG-6 is capable of handling DishPro. It MUST be capable of 2150MHz or better.

There is usually no issue with DIPLEXING OTA with satellite. The frequency bands do not overlap, and simple diplexers have very little loss.

protoboard (3 posts back) is either double-diplexing or some other thing that is NOT good. If you're going to put the receiver's output on the same RG-6 as OTA (or cable) input, you MUST use a COMBINER. Failure to do so will cause broadcasting (or interference), and in severe cases can bring the FCC down on your head.

Splitters, diplexers, and combiners are similar, sometimes even have port labels that are the same, but the devices do different things!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)