I'm getting a DirecTV TiVo THR22 installed on Friday. I'd like to get some information on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Okay, so I had to "move" back to my area due to the fact that they cannot mail it to me. Anyways, since I love the TiVo experience, and due to the fact that I don't necessarily mind old hardware (I actually think old technology is kind of cool), I'm getting a THR22 installed as an additional DVR. Granted this won't be my main device (that would be my 4K Genie Mini C61K), but I just decided that I wanted this even if it's not the fastest and stuff like that. I don't need it to talk to my Genie. Whole-Home DVR compatibility is not necessary. The 5 tuners in my HR54 is enough tuners for me. I am just getting this for a different DVR experience through DirecTV. I know of such things like "Thumbs up" and "Thumbs down" and "TiVo Suggestions", but can somebody tell me what else is on it? I've heard of "Swivel search" in which I have no idea what that means. And perhaps there's more I can learn on it?

Reactions: EchostarFan
I wouldn’t do it. It’s nowhere near the experience you have with the Romario or bolt. Then your paying $5 extra for TiVo service.

Also I don’t think it supports DSwm 13 switches and LNB’s

I actually have 2 used ones I recently deactivated for $100. Both where on a showroom demo.

If they could download TiVo software to the HR44 or 54 I would go for it.

Your dealing with a receiver running on a 10-12 year old platform.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I agree. You are dealing with a tivo experience 3 Interfaces ago in 10 year old hardware. I would run from that

Reactions: JohnL
Is getting this installed going to put you in any kind of a contract, or extend the one you may have?

but it will extend your contract for two years. IMHO not worth doing

Also I don’t think it supports DSwm 13 switches and LNB’s

I actually have 2 used ones I recently deactivated for $100. Both where on a showroom demo.

On the TiVo forums people say it does support the DSWM lnb but I don’t know how many actually have tried it. Is there any way you can hook one of those demo units up to one and see for certain?

DSWM support has nothing to do with the hardware, it is all in the software. How long since the THR22 got its last firmware update? If it has been more than a couple years, it would not support it. I am guessing it has been at least that long, but correct me if I'm wrong.

However, even if it doesn't support it, it will still work "depending"... I have a boatload of H20s, which haven't received a firmware update since Sept 2013 so they don't support DSWM but I have a dozen of them hanging off a DSWM30 and working fine. Because of the way SWM negotiation works they see it as a standard 8 channel SWM, and so long as nothing else has grabbed the frequencies for the 'original' 8 SWM channels they will work. It comes down to the order in which they get started up.

If you want an HR54 and THR22 to work together on a reverse band DSWM LNB you may find you need to power up the THR22 before the HR54 (meaning you would have to use a PI to power the LNB instead of letting the HR54 do it) because if the HR54 grabs 7 tuners, unless one of them is one of the 'new' SWM channels, there would only be one SWM channel left for the THR22.

Reactions: HoTat2
I had a friend with 7 tuners on a swim. Added an HR 24 and a DSwm LNB.

The TiVo would not work.

It was either swap TiVo to an HR24 or install a SWM 16.

We swapped the TiVo as I was not rewriting for a swm16
Just to be certain in light of what slice said ..

Can you remember if you tried powering up the TIVO first on the DSWM-LNB, before any of the other receivers?

Well, the tech stated that they didn’t carry the THR22s anymore and said it wouldn’t work with the HR54. I also remember the DirecTV people on the phone saying in prior conversations that the THR22 wouldn’t work with the Genie 2 and just arranged for the TiVo setup instead. The tech ended up installing the previous Genie 2 order instead. I did though call a Weaknees CSR and he stated that the TiVo would work with both the HR54 and the Genie 2. Is that guy correct and could I have the TiVo with my Genie 2? I think I’ll just buy one eventually from there or Amazon. The main reason I want it is because of the TiVo Suggestions, Wish Lists, and Swivel Search.

No, both the tech and the CSR are "technically" wrong ...

As the THR22 will work together with either the HR54 or the Genie 2 on the same installation.

But the CSR is correct in that as a matter of "company policy" they cannot permit a THR22 or any other receiver on the same account as a Genie 2.

Clients only ...

No, both the tech and the CSR are "technically" wrong ...

As the THR22 will work together with either the HR54 or the Genie 2 on the same installation.

But the CSR is correct in that as a matter of "company policy" they cannot permit a THR22 or any other receiver on the same account as a Genie 2.

Clients only ...
Can't or Won't ?

Can't or Won't ?
Both, but only due to DIRECTV policy. Technically, there is no known reason the THR22 or other receivers can't exist on the same installation with a Genie 2. Or even share programs with (i.e. DIRECTV receivers) over WH as with the Genie 1s'

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)