I'm getting Dish but I need advice.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sarang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
Here's the deal. I want HD and can buy a PC PVR but I've heard what a crappy scaler 811 has plus the fact it's not an HDMI output so I'm planning on going for a 942. My issue is the problems I'm starting to hear with the 942, any advice? Is this purely a 1000 problem? I would PREFER not to go to 811 unless I have to.
Also everyone seems to be saying go for 1000 so I can get all my HD's on one Antenna. Another thing that seems to rear it's ugly head here is I want one Korean channel that's only on the 121 and 61.5 Sats but now I hear 61.5 is going away.
Basically I wanna go HD and International but have the feeling I may be stuck with two Dish's for a short while or has there been word of some of the more popular International stuff being carried on 129?
Sorry if my thoughts are a giant mess here but I'd appreciate any advice.

I'm probably gonna go Dish 500 if 1000 is a primary factor in these 942's messing up.
Also with Satellite equipment if you have a 18" like DirecTV dish can you just use the DirecTV LNB or would I have to switch out the LNB to Dish?

Its obvious that T&T doesn't know what he is talking about the 921 came out in 2003 or 2004 and was discontinued in the fall of 2004 go with the 942 its just a software fix. As far as your dishes you will need a Superdish at 121 and I would go with the 1000. I see all future HD going to the Dish 1000 because they have the space at 129 and the Korean channel will most likely stay at 121 for a long time since almost all international channels are there and not at 61.5 0r 148.

For what you're looking for you'll need a DISH 1000 and then a SuperDISH pointed at 121 for your Korean channel. You'll also need a DP44 switch since you'll be pulling in 4 satellites.

You can get the 942 now or you can wait for the MPEG-4 HD DVR which should be out in ealry 2006. Can't give you a price on that yet though.....

Yeah I'm ALMOST tempted to go with one of the plan packages with the 942 because I don't wanna be screwed when the MPEG4 HD DVR comes out and having spent over $600 for the 942. One of the big deals for me with the new one coming out will be if it has an HDMI output. I suppose I could always setup a PC PVR with an HD card.
My concern is the "Professional" installation for one. Some guy was telling me what a sh!tty job one Dish installer was doing putting it in. The only catch is for now they'd probably stick me with a Dish 500 and 300 for what I want but then I've heard there's no more 300 so perhaps it would be a SuperDISH 121 and Dish 1000.
edit: Also won't my receiver need to be updated when the new HD channels come in MPEG4?

Sarang said:
Also won't my receiver need to be updated when the new HD channels come in MPEG4?

Yep, both D* and E* will need new STB's (not a software upgrade) to get MPEG4 channels. The rumor right now is that existing channels would still be MPEG2 for a while, only the new channels would be in MPEG4.

I'm going with E* because of the large amount of HD channels they have and the Korean International offerings plus the pricing structure so it's a given I will "have" to upgrade to the new receiver.

OK. Fierst, separate your receiver decision from your dish/LNB decision - they are barely related.

First, the Dish. You need 4 birds, one being 121. The only "official" way to do that is via SuperDish - which also gives you 110 & 119. The D1000 is for 110/119/129 - overkill. If you go with a local retailer that might be flexible, GoalieBob's SuperDuper1000 homebrew just might be what you're looking for. Basically, it's a SuperDish with another LNB strapped on. Only thing is, I don't know whether he did it with a 105SD or a 121SD.

Second, if you want an HD-PVR, your only reasonable choice right now is the 942.

Buy the OX-WHY and stick it into the COMPLICATED-213 and plug in the 666 into the SATAN and take the SuperDish and shoot it with a high powered 357mag and strip off the white ground wire and stuff it up your NOSE and maybe in the end if the weather is clear you can watch TV.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)