I'm interested... questions though

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Trav

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
I didn't even know Sky Angel existed, so thanks for bringing it to my attention! Okay, so here's the deal:

I just signed up for the Dish Network and they are coming on Tuesday to install it. I got the free standard installation deal and the 522 DVR receiver.

1) Will the 522 receiver work with Sky Angel (their website mentions the 510 but not the 522 probably because it is newer).

2) If I understand correctly, I would need to buy another dish and a switchbox, right? Would my local store carry these items, or is this something that has to be shipped from somewhere else? The reason I ask is because I'm sure it would be cheaper if I could get them to install it on Tuesday, but obviously I wouldn't be able to get the additional dish if it has to be shipped in.

3) I assume that installation of the additional satellite and switchbox would not be included with Dish's free installation, but what price should I expect to pay for having them do this at the same time (if that is possible) versus later on?

Thanks!
Travis

1) Yes the 522 will work with SkyAngel

2) You need a Dish pointed at 61.5, and a multi dish switch, your installer should be able to install these, however you will pay for that part of the installation.

3) I dont have an idea but it should be cheeper for them to do it all at once as they don't have to make a seperate trip.

Trav,

If you live in one of the 20 or so local TV markets that have additional local channels at 61.5 and you subscribe to your local channels via Dish, then Dish must by law provide free installation and equipment for the 61.5 location.

The local markets with additional channels at 61.5 include : Detroit, NYC, Washington, DC, Pittsburgh, Greenville (SC), Orlando, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Nashville, St. Louis, Tampa, Boston, Miami, Louisville, Buffalo, Lexington, Ft. Myers/Napels, Paduca et al, Memphis, Philadelphia and Lynchburg/Roanoke

See ya
Tony

Thanks to you both.

I'm in the Quad Cities (Davenport, Iowa market), so even though I'll be getting local channels, it's not one of the ones you listed.

So does the second dish just a standard dish that my installer would be able to bring on Tuesday, or is it something that would need to be ordered from Sky Angel? Obviously, I'll have to get the programming direct from Sky Angel, but if I can get the equipment installed together on Tuesday, I can order the programming whenever.

Travis

The dish needed for 61.5 is a standard 18" dish and LNB which your dealer should stock. There may be an issue though if you are getting a SuperDISH to get your locals in Davenport. The SuperDISH already receives three satellite slots (110, 119 and either 121 or 105) The installer may not know how to hook up the system to see 4 satellites slots at the same time (The three the superDISH sees and the one the second Dish sees). It can be done though.

See ya
Tony

You also get some additional programming from Dish at 61.5. See the EKB http://ekb.dbstalk.com/143

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
The dish needed for 61.5 is a standard 18" dish and LNB which your dealer should stock. There may be an issue though if you are getting a SuperDISH to get your locals in Davenport. The SuperDISH already receives three satellite slots (110, 119 and either 121 or 105) The installer may not know how to hook up the system to see 4 satellites slots at the same time (The three the superDISH sees and the one the second Dish sees). It can be done though.

See ya
Tony

You also get some additional programming from Dish at 61.5. See the EKB http://ekb.dbstalk.com/143

See ya
Tony

Okay, I'll give my dealer a call today and find out 1) if they even know what Sky Angel is, and 2) if they'd be able to install the equipment on Tuesday when they come, and 3) if they are installing the SuperDish (I really don't know right now).

I appreciate your help.

they should be aware of skyangel, but because the market isn't that great and the commissions minimal, the dealer will probably be happy to plant the 61.5 dish for the extra cost and let you handle the rest.

jrjcd said:
they should be aware of skyangel, but because the market isn't that great and the commissions minimal, the dealer will probably be happy to plant the 61.5 dish for the extra cost and let you handle the rest.

I called my dealer yesterday and asked about Sky Angel. He knew what it was and said they would be able to install the extra dish, etc for under $50. Once that part is done, I guess it doesn't matter if I sign up through the dealer or if I call Sky Angel directly, right?

TNGTony said:

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony

Okay, they called this morning and said that they are installing the SuperDish for me to receiver the Locals, and they said that if I wanted Sky Angel that I would have to lose some other channels (either the locals or some of the Dish channels).

From your comment above, however, it sounds like there is a way to install Sky Angel with the SuperDish and still get all of the channels. Is there anything I can do or should I just give up and forget about Sky Angel?

Thanks.

The only solution I have is using legacy switches an SW64 cascaded to an SW21 works to get 4 satellite signals to one receiver (except some of the very old x000 series).

Anyone who knows about how to get 4 satellite signals to one receiver with the "pro" line of switches?

See ya
Tony

They announced the DPP44 switch will be out in May.

That would be the best route.

Have the installer install the 61.5 dish and just add the switch in May.

mwgiii said:
They announced the DPP44 switch will be out in May.

That would be the best route.

Have the installer install the 61.5 dish and just add the switch in May.

Ok thanks. I don't know anything about how the switches are installed, etc. If I have them install the second dish, would I be able to install this new switch myself when they become available or would I need to have them come back out and hook it up for me?

Also, they are coming tomorrow for the installation. Do I just tell them about this new switch and ask them to install the secondary dish at 61.5?

Thanks.

Call your dealer and ask which would be the best/cheapest route to go.

Installing a switch is just screwing a couple of cables into the box.

Dish announced the DPP44 switch today during the Retailer Chat.

Your dealer should know about it or should be able to find out about it.

I do have to say that these switches aren't cheap. I have no idea what the new SW44 switch is going to sell for, but the SW64 (an old three satellite slot switch) sells for $150. You can usually find it for less, but that is the going rate for the SW64.

As far as installation is concerned mwgiii is right. It's just a box with 8 F connectors. Just screw in the cables from the satellite dishes and the receivers and you're ready to go.

See ya
Tony

mwgiii said:
Call your dealer and ask which would be the best/cheapest route to go.

Installing a switch is just screwing a couple of cables into the box.

Dish announced the DPP44 switch today during the Retailer Chat.

Your dealer should know about it or should be able to find out about it.

Did they announce what the price would be for it? I called my dealer back and they said they could install the dish and they knew about the DPP44 switch, but said that it would likely be priced between $120-250. Does that sound right? I'm not sure I want to invest that much money to get the Sky Angel service (that's more than a year's worth of programming).

I guess for now I'm just going to hold off until the option is actually viable. Then I'll price everything and see if it's going to work...

dishsystems said:
If worse comes to worse sky angel is offering a self install kit with a dish for only $50.00 ... not a bad deal at all.

Yeah, but I'd still have to buy the special switch that in order to use it with the SuperDish, right?

The installer who came today said that when the new switches come in stock in a few months, they would still be able to do the installation with a free promotion. We'll see.