I'm SOOO confused! Need to add 5th TV.

Tim_E

Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Sacramento Area
Hi,

I'm pretty new to all of this, so if I'm appearing helpless, that's my intention...

Here is my current setup:
I'm running a ViP 722 using both tuners on my main TV in the family room for pip, recording one show while watching another etc. Upstairs I'm running an older 522 (non-hd) to two tvs, one in each bedroom.

I decided to add another TV in a downstairs bedroom, and I'm told I would need to purchase a 3rd receiver. I'd like to be able to record, and I'd like HD, so I'm looking at the ViP 612. Dish Networks is asking for $399 ($349 for the receiver, $50 for installation).

Searching the net, I've seen the receiver for a little less (somone on eBay was selling a new - in the box - with a bid of $205... but of course then I would need to install it myself.

So, how does that work? I don't do roofs :(, and if I don't get the thing working first time, things could get ugly! So, I assume there are independent installers who will do the cable run, and connect me to the satellite etc out there... right? (I live in Rocklin, CA if anyone's interested in the job!) How much should I expect to pay for something like that? What is a fair price for the ViP 612? Might I need additional equipment? Swiches/dishes etc? I'd prefer to not mount a 2nd dish.

All help is very appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

Depends on what kind of dish you have... Seeing that you have a 722, I'm leaning towards you having a 1000.2 dish.

If that is the case it's as simple as running a single line from the dish to the new receiver.

Looks like good price for $205. Make sure the R00 #'s are in the clear.

Being that you don't want to install it, you may be better off just ordering it from Dish and let them install it... cost wise may just equal out by the time it's all said and done, get warranties, etc....

When buying receivers off Ebay, make sure to fund your paypal account using a credit card. Note, don't use a bank debit visa but an actual credit card. If you get hosed in the sale, you can have paypal reverse the charges. If Paypal doesn't, then its Mastercard to the rescue.

Depends on what kind of dish you have... Seeing that you have a 722, I'm leaning towards you having a 1000.2 dish.

If that is the case it's as simple as running a single line from the dish to the new receiver.

Looks like good price for $205. Make sure the R00 #'s are in the clear.

Being that you don't want to install it, you may be better off just ordering it from Dish and let them install it... cost wise may just equal out by the time it's all said and done, get warranties, etc....
Thanks rcdallas. Any way short of climbing 30 feet on a shakey ladder to tell what kind of dish I have? I checked my account with dish, and it only lists my recievers...

Thanks rcdallas. Any way short of climbing 30 feet on a shakey ladder to tell what kind of dish I have? I checked my account with dish, and it only lists my recievers...

Press Menu, 6, 1 , 1 and go to Check Switch.... You don't have to hit "Test".... it will say the Switch type right there. a 1000.2 would say 1K.2 next to "Device"

Nearly 99% chance you have a 1000.2 Dish in Rocklin if you ordered in the last 2 years.

You need another line from the Dish.... there is no way around it. Every receiver has to have it's own dedicated Satellite line. Plus side is since you likely have a 1000.2, you don't need anything else other than the line and the receiver. We use to have to use switches and swap LNBs when someone wanted 3 receivers.

Call Dish back and ask if you can purchase a 522 to replace the one you currently lease. Then sign up for a Dish 'N It Up upgrade to lease a 612. As long as you are eligible for the promotion, this should save you quite a chunk of change.... and you will get it professionally installed.

I KNOW they can do this.... I've had the same thing set up for customers before.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)