I'm still confused about Duo receiver boxes...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You'll most probably still need the TV remote if you need to access the menu on the TV for changing video/audio settings.
YMMV based on brand and device code used, but mine maps pretty well to the TV remote functions...Menu opens the menu, Cancel exits the menu, arrow navigation and select buttons let me move around in the menu, etc.

My only concern is that it's an older TV, so I don't know that it would necessarily play nice with a new remote...

Also, for reference, I'm not getting any of the newer, high end equipment. I think mine is going to be the Duo 222, which is probably one of the lowest end receivers current available for Dish Network, I'm guessing.

My only concern is that it's an older TV, so I don't know that it would necessarily play nice with a new remote...

Also, for reference, I'm not getting any of the newer, high end equipment. I think mine is going to be the Duo 222, which is probably one of the lowest end receivers current available for Is your primary TV an HDTV?Dish Network, I'm guessing.

Are you sure you don't want a dvr? I couldn't live (lol) without one. We time shift so many programs it's ridiculous. With an ehd storage is unlimited. Ask yourself how many times there are more than 1 show that you want to watch that are on at the same time. Or are on in the middle of the night or when you are away. With a 722k and the ota module, you can record 2 Dish feeds and 2 (I think) ota feeds at the same time and watch something you've already recorded, skipping commercials. You can pause, rewind what your watching. You have up to an hour buffer to rewind your current live channel, or back to the last time you changed a channel.

More than 1 person has come back to the forum thanking us for convincing them to get a dvr.

Are you sure you don't want a dvr? I couldn't live (lol) without one. We time shift so many programs it's ridiculous. With an ehd storage is unlimited. Ask yourself how many times there are more than 1 show that you want to watch that are on at the same time. Or are on in the middle of the night or when you are away. With a 722k and the ota module, you can record 2 Dish feeds and 2 (I think) ota feeds at the same time and watch something you've already recorded, skipping commercials. You can pause, rewind what your watching. You have up to an hour buffer to rewind your current live channel, or back to the last time you changed a channel.

More than 1 person has come back to the forum thanking us for convincing them to get a dvr.

Heh, well, as cheap as it makes me sound, I just don't really want to pay the extra $5 or $6 a month it costs to have DVR. There ARE a good number of shows I like to keep up with that conflict with other shows, but I always just catch them either on Hulu, or if not there, a site that people upload TV episodes to.

Perhaps a ViP211 (k) might be a good choice for you. It can become a DVR without a monthly fee. The ViP222 is, shall we say, not the most popular on this board. And it will never be convertible to a DVR.

Granted, it's not a duo. But if watching the same channel on both TVs is acceptable, this may be the better choice.

Perhaps a ViP211 (k) might be a good choice for you. It can become a DVR without a monthly fee. The ViP222 is, shall we say, not the most popular on this board. And it will never be convertible to a DVR.

Granted, it's not a duo. But if watching the same channel on both TVs is acceptable, this may be the better choice.

Well, actually, I have three TVs, and I'm getting the 222 for my main TV and my SD TV, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting a 211 for my other HD TV, if I remember correctly. How, exactly, can the 211 become a DVR without a monthly fee? Also, why is the 222 "unpopular"? Just because it can't become a DVR? Or are there other problems I should know about it?

^^^
same setup my in-laws got abt a month ago. They dont need dvr functionality & with duo 222 charge included with the package price ($14) they just pay $7 extra for 211.

If anybody going to get 2 VIP 211 instead of 222 for dvr then it's better to go for 722k....because u save $1 on that combination. Only plus for this setup is to have 2 hd out vs 1hd 1sd

to OP ... the 211k allows you to pay a "per account" fee of 40 dollars, to enable the External Hard Drive. After that fee, you attach up to a 2TB hard drive (this is a recent upgrade from 1TB) and then you are able to record one Satellite channel and one OTA channel at the same time.

The outputs on the 211k are awesome too ... handles displaying on 2 TV's at the same time really well (slight audio lag on the HDMI)... we have our small HD TV hooked up for Wii & the old 27 inch next to it so we can game & watch at the same time..

What TG2 said. A one time $40 fee and no monthly fee.

The ViP222 cannot do the same trick that the ViP211 can, to become a DVR. This perhaps is due to at least two different motherboards/chipsets being used, with the earlier one unable to handle the load of an EHD. There have been reports of people somehow getting the ViP222 to do this, but this is apparently very rare. It also seemed that the ViP222 had more than it's share of teething problems, but I haven't heard any complaints for months. Of course, it seems to be one of the less popular Dish units, for whatever reason.

Personally, I can't see being without a DVR. If they all stopped tomorrow, I'd drop TV and go back to books and movies on optical media.

to the OP about your remote programming issues to your older tv. If you still have the original TV remote and you have a k model receiver installed then you can use the learning feature on the remote to program the remote codes into your new Dish Network remote, problem solved if it is not already programmed into the remote when you get it. Just ask your installer and he should take care of it for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts