Image posting too big and obnoxious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said before I can set the maximum display size but even if it's an img tag it will still download the entire image no matter what size it is.

As far as the legal stuff goes (this was many years ago) I researched it and found out that img tags were legal so I had my lawyer send the site that was bitching a FOAD letter. Never heard from them again. :)

If the forum software could add image size details to an (IMG) link (I replaced "[" with "(" on purpose), what would happen to images that were smaller than the pre-determined limit ? I don't know if HTML, javascript, CSS, etc can do something like adding a "max width" and/or "max height" tag or not, but if I hot-link to an image that 100 x 100 pixels, will it get blown up to 800 x 600 ?

One thing that's likely possible is not allow hot-linking images at all.

When I user posts their attachment they can select if it is posted as a Thumbnail or Full Size. If its posted full size it is because person who posted it wanted it to be seen full sized.

I do not believe there is a way to have all posts be thumbnails.

Xen does have a size limiter build in but it is turned off for two reason, one if I set it so the maximum display size was 800x600, while the image you were shown on your screen was 800x600 the actual full size graphic was still downloaded to your browser, only it was just displayed as 800x600. Second we have a number of members wh post in the photography thread in the pub who try to show off their work or scientific photos (such as Frank Jr and his Nasa photos) and were upset that all the resolution was off and that it messed up their pictures.

Since people were still downloading the full photo anyways I decided back in May of last year to turn that off.

However I have not been following to see if there are new mods for Xen which will save a modified version of the photo at a lower resolution and if a user wants to see it full size can click on it and see the origional pictures as it was. I will look into this next week. :)

As a general rule I always download images to my PC and then upload them here as thumbnails. If there is a hard drive space issue I will gladly down size all my NASA images before uploading them. Full resolution images provided as thumbnails are merely a courtesy/convenience to the reader. Just let me know what file size would be ok. If others would want to see the full resolution images I always provide a link to the article or source where they can be viewed anyway.

As a general rule I always download images to my PC and then upload them here as thumbnails. If there is a hard drive space issue I will gladly down size all my NASA images before uploading them. Full resolution images provided as thumbnails are merely a courtesy/convenience to the reader. Just let me know what file size would be ok. If others would want to see the full resolution images I always provide a link to the article or source where they can be viewed anyway.

I know you do but some people will post an image that is of just some cartoon or image that there is no real reason and some of these are actually a pixel size that is designed for 4K screens. I was hoping there may be a software setting for Scott to limit the file size for display but the thumbnail for Hi Resolution download could be an option. I don't think the thumb nail in the thread slows down the loading of the thread for reading but the display of a 2K to 4K image certainly does. Can you think of a reason why a poster of an image that is bigger than most viewer's monitor resolution would be necessary? Especially since a thumbnail would be an option.

I'd love to see the actual language of such a letter. ;) I presume the name is not literal.
I have to look up many of the acronyms being used lately. I blame Twitter for how popular the use of acronyms and lack of good writing skills has changed us. The 140 character limits.

Reactions: TheKrell
Yeah brother! But note that the 140 character limit has been removed for direct messages. Nevertheless, I predict the acronyms will continue unabated. :(

I don't do Twitter. A good idea that is run by a bunch is dimwits who can't figure out how to monetize the business. Got rid of the founder and replaced him with a guy who acts like he is stoned all the time. I bought a hundred shares of the company and lost $2000. I'm not bitter but Facebook is far better run company. One day they will figure it out that the acting CEO, Jack Dorsey is a moron.

I have to look up many of the acronyms being used lately. I blame Twitter for how popular the use of acronyms and lack of good writing skills has changed us. The 140 character limits.
Wut yu talkin' 'bout, Willis? :)

Reactions: osu1991
I know you do but some people will post an image that is of just some cartoon or image that there is no real reason and some of these are actually a pixel size that is designed for 4K screens. I was hoping there may be a software setting for Scott to limit the file size for display but the thumbnail for Hi Resolution download could be an option. I don't think the thumb nail in the thread slows down the loading of the thread for reading but the display of a 2K to 4K image certainly does. Can you think of a reason why a poster of an image that is bigger than most viewer's monitor resolution would be necessary? Especially since a thumbnail would be an option.

Don, in my opinion whenever possible thumbnails should be used. If not required under the site rules, it should at least be considered proper posting etiquette. Even in the photography threads I prefer thumbnails as opposed to multiple large images in a post.

Don, in my opinion whenever possible thumbnails should be used. If not required under the site rules, it should at least be considered proper posting etiquette. Even in the photography threads I prefer thumbnails as opposed to multiple large images in a post.

I, on tne other hand, hate thumbnails. I just want to scroll to view the complete thread.

Reactions: dfergie
I, on tne other hand, hate thumbnails. I just want to scroll to view the complete thread.

Philippe-TOSI-17aoutcoul_1439812010.jpg

Why one would prefer this.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts