Improved picture quality?

ajiva

Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Maybe I'm imagining this, but it seems that the Dish HD picture quality has improved. Picture seems clearly, sharper and much nicer overall. Am I imagining this or did something change? Oh and nothing changed on my end, same TV, receiver, etc.

Maybe I'm imagining this, but it seems that the Dish HD picture quality has improved. Picture seems clearly, sharper and much nicer overall. Am I imagining this or did something change? Oh and nothing changed on my end, same TV, receiver, etc.

Oh no...don't tell me this!...

I'm switching to Dish from D* and have absolutely no problem with the quality with the HD on D*...

So is there a problem with the HD's with Dish?...

Maybe Dish is using new compression software
but then again if they were they would probably put out
a press release about it.

@OP

Could you be more specific.....
What receiver are you using?
Is it ALL channels or just certain one?
Are you eArc or wArc?
What programing where you watching when you noticed this?

Etc as there a lot of variables that go into the quality of or the lack there of that we see.

I noticed that SD looks WAY better on my VIP211K compared with the ancient ?1000? rcvr I was using. Evidently different receivers have diff pic quality as well?

NOT, I saw entire screen macroblocking during Mythbusters. quick scenes you could see little squares.

I noticed that too. It is almost like the encoder can't keep up or there is a bad setting somewhere. It doesn't look typical of a low bitrate to me since the rest of the show looks really good and it seems to recover while there is still motion going on. I noticed that on ESPN as well. These could be the growing pains of humans using a new encoder or just incompetence and the status quo. I haven't had Dish long enough to be 100% sure.

I have also seen great picture quality on many channels. Overall it is much better than the Comcast I had most recently and as good as the DirecTV (H.264) I had a year ago. I used to see bad picture at times on Direct as well. The bad picture was especially noticeable on channels they don't really care about like Food Network or most anything not sports. Dish and Direct are very similar... But neither of them approach Comcast ugly (on the triple-packed QAM channels at least).

Maybe Dish is using new compression software
but then again if they were they would probably put out
a press release about it.

It is also possible that the transition isn't yet complete and they are waiting to finish it before the announcement. It could help explain the choppy motion on NFL Network I saw last week that was unrelated to my receiver.

Watching NFL Total Access on NFL HD that's on right after the game and the game highlights look much better than the actual broadcast. Weird....

They are replacing the encoders a little at a time and as far as I know are not done yet. I do know that most if not all RSN's have had their encoders updated.

What makes the HD picture qualty so inconsistent? I was watching some HD channels last night that looked worse than they did a few days ago. Seen lots of macroblocking and oversaturated picture??????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)