In honor of our consolidated holidays

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Let's see, Christmas decorations are out in early October, often before Halloween stuff hits the shelves, even at our local hardware store. Ads for Thanksgiving meals permeate today's Sunday paper. Where are we going?

And the Great Santa rises from the pumpkin patch and distributes turkeys to all the good little children whose daddies bought the end of season close out lawn mowers.

;)

Several years back, 10 or more, I was ranting about Costco having their Christmas items out before Labor Day. I agree whole heartedly with your synopsis.

I wish the Christmas Season didn't really begin to ramp-up until after Thanksgiving. As I was growing-up in the 'Burgh, I remember my mother dragging my sister and me into the city on Black Friday over many years, to see all the store window displays and do some shopping, and that became our "official" start. No local decorations went up before that. Seemed to work for most around us as well. Let's focus on all the "fall seasons" without them being in the shadow of Christmas.

That said - and also noting at one time some of our local stores had their Christmas merchandise out prior to Labor Day - I think I'm sensing a draw back. I was in Wally-World this past Fri. where it seemed they were just starting to convert their seasonal room to Christmas. Moving out the shovels and potting soil to make room for the lights and decorations. Is it just my perhaps erroneous observation or are others delaying the start a bit ??

Presents an interesting timing dilemma. I use a lot of incandescent bulbs especially at the holidays, but I "restock" for year-round use once a year at about this time if not earlier. Try buying those miniature 3.5v clear bulbs out of season! And those orange C-7 lamps for candelabras. For that matter, try buying them even a couple of weeks into the season when most retailers have long before run out. Must be a lot of "hoarders" like myself who gobble-up the whole inventory almost as soon as it's available! Becoming a lot easier - and even cheaper! - to simply replace the whole string of miniature lamps that can be purchased for 10-cents on the dollar after the season ends. I wonder how much longer those will even be available as the LED "equivalents" are more commonplace ??? For me, I much prefer the warm glow of the incandescent strings. But I digress...!

Even though one local OTA station along with DISH is airing Xmas tunes already...I refuse to listen or play any holiday tunes until after I have digested my Thanksgiving cranberry sauce. Xmas decorations do not go up until the day after tureky and come down on December 26th.

On Boxing Day? That's pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)