In-laws 722 installed with composite to HDTV

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
Not surprising, but I visited my in-laws and they had upgraded from a 322 to 722 right after getting a very nice 42" 1080p HDTV, and I found that the local Dish installer had connected the 722 to the HDTV with the standard yellow/red/white composite video and analog audio, instead of using HDMI or at least component.

So, they had never actually seen an HD signal on their HDTV (they have SD DVD).

It would not surprise me if many installers had a standard "cheap" install for seniors. :mad:

I see this all the all time, with people with Cable service. Apparently many installers of Cable and Satellite are either lazy or clueless. Always glad to see or hear when it has been done right. But based on the number of friends and relatives who have asked me to look at their setups, it may be the majority are done wrong.

In the case of the Dish people who installed two of my 622's (At Different times. I installed my first 622 and earlier receiver myself) they were ready to do it correctly via Component, but I already had the necessary hdmi cables ready to be connected and they used them.

Since when is the installer supposed to supply connection cables? I can understand a dedicated installer would at least suggest the HDMI or component connection for a HD setup but if all that is included with the receiver is composite then composite it would be.

Since when is the installer supposed to supply connection cables? I can understand a dedicated installer would at least suggest the HDMI or component connection for a HD setup but if all that is included with the receiver is component then component it would be.

It wasn't installed with component, it was installed with composite.

Installer are not supplied with the cables from Dish anymore, they have to pay for them and pass the cost on to the customers. Guess that installer didn't bring/have proper cables or customer didn't want to pay more for the install.

Installer are not supplied with the cables from Dish anymore, they have to pay for them and pass the cost on to the customers. Guess that installer didn't bring/have proper cables or customer didn't want to pay more for the install.

BS answer. If I am getting HD setup with a new 2 year commitment, I damn well better get HD on my TV. Not an excuse that you didn't have the cables to do it.

Hdmi

The point is that dish does not supply the HD cables. It is in no way the installers fault if the sub does not want to purchase the proper cables.

BS answer. If I am getting HD setup with a new 2 year commitment, I damn well better get HD on my TV. Not an excuse that you didn't have the cables to do it.

Dish does not supply the HD cables at all anymore, the receivers have composite, s-video and rf. You may think it's BS, but it's BS from Dish and not from my answer. I have a 622 and a 722 and there were not HD cables in either box from Dish. I opened the boxes and not the installer. There have been many, many posts here about Dish not supplying HD cables anymore and I had HD cables on hand in order for the receivers to be connected correctly. If you are getting HD, do yourself a favor and be prepared.

Dish does not supply the HD cables at all anymore, the receivers have composite, s-video and rf. You may think it's BS, but it's BS from Dish and not from my answer. I have a 622 and a 722 and there were not HD cables in either box from Dish. I opened the boxes and not the installer. There have been many, many posts here about Dish not supplying HD cables anymore and I had HD cables on hand in order for the receivers to be connected correctly. If you are getting HD, do yourself a favor and be prepared.
+1:up

The point is that dish does not supply the HD cables. It is in no way the installers fault if the sub does not want to purchase the proper cables.

If I call Dish and upgrade to HD, then I expect to be upgraded to HD. Not upgrade to HD service and have to spend more money so I can see the benefits.

Not picking on the installers, but maybe you should get out of the business or make E* reimburse you for the cables. Either way, as a customer, I want what I paid for.

If I call Dish and upgrade to HD, then I expect to be upgraded to HD. Not upgrade to HD service and have to spend more money so I can see the benefits.

Not picking on the installers, but maybe you should get out of the business or make E* reimburse you for the cables. Either way, as a customer, I want what I paid for.

The cables do not show as part of the packing list. You can argue with Dish if you want, but trying to ague here will not get you anything.

as a tech dish use to give the customer a choice of hdmi or componet then a year later went to just componet and then a year later they stoped all together i know directv has a hdmi and componet cable in the box with the receiver

The cables do not show as part of the packing list. You can argue with Dish if you want, but trying to ague here will not get you anything.

So you are saying that if I upgrade to HD and have a new 2 year commitment that it is okay if the installer comes out and puts a new box in and I still do not have HD??? NOT EXCEPTABLE. If I call Dish to upgrade to HD, they better give me HD or tell me that I will need to buy a new cable to make it HD. I did not get either. My installer was fine and gave me the correct cable, but there are a lot of people htat get HD service that do not even know that they do not have the cables to do HD. At the bear minimum, call the customer before you get there for the install and let them know that they will need to get an HD capable cable in order to get HD. Don't show up and then say "Give me $30 for an HD cable so you can se what you ordered."

And let's not forget that there still are plenty of televisions (and projectors) that have DVI. Does the OP suggest Dish should supply both HDMI *and* DVI cables? Furthermore, every EA install requires a ViP receiver. In those instances neither of the previously mentioned HD cables will work if the customer has very typical SD television.

For the very cheap install, the red/white/yellow composite cables will do the job of red/blue/green component cables 99% of the time and produce a viewable HD picture. Add another set for the red/white audio if necessary. Even a cheapskate lazy installer probably have a few of those lying around they kept from the even cheaper coax-cable-TV-channel-on-3 install because the red/white/yellow and coax cables are included with EVERY new dish receiver.

Dish should be supplying component cables in the box. All HDTVs, no matter the age, will have component inputs, so no worries about DVI or HDMI. At the volume Dish could purchase component cables, it's unacceptable that they not include them. If the arrangement is that the installer supply them and get reimbursed, that's reasonable too.

This is the same argument I used years ago in Dish's favor when people said they should supply HDMI cables in the box.

In the end, if the customer is upgrading to HD service, when the installer leaves, they'd better have an HD signal all the way to their TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)