In-laws 722 installed with composite to HDTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Dish should be supplying component cables in the box. All HDTVs, no matter the age, will have component inputs, so no worries about DVI or HDMI. At the volume Dish could purchase component cables, it's unacceptable that they not include them. If the arrangement is that the installer supply them and get reimbursed, that's reasonable too.

This is the same argument I used years ago in Dish's favor when people said they should supply HDMI cables in the box.

In the end, if the customer is upgrading to HD service, when the installer leaves, they'd better have an HD signal all the way to their TV.

Thank you.

If I call Dish and upgrade to HD, then I expect to be upgraded to HD. Not upgrade to HD service and have to spend more money so I can see the benefits.

Not picking on the installers, but maybe you should get out of the business or make E* reimburse you for the cables. Either way, as a customer, I want what I paid for.

Cry less please. I don't want that marked up cable to be added to my cost. Yes tech let me pay $75 for that 6' HDMI cable I am so happy you are willing to do that.
Nobody pays for the cables so you get what you pay for.

Yes tech let me pay $75 for that 6' HDMI cable... .
Unless the tech (over) paid for that cable in the first place and didn't make much profit, he/she should be fired for ripping off a customer. I'm sorry, but a $4 component cable (3-wire, 10' long) from someplace like monoprice.com will provide a perfectly acceptable HD picture. There's no need to supply DVI or HDMI cables. If the customer wants that, let them buy it themselves. If the installer connects with component, the customer has full HD when he/she leaves.

As an installer, I always add the price of an HDMI to an HD system w/out even telling the customer. If they already have a cable then I take it off the price.

I'm sure installers can get a damn good deal on component/HDMI cables in bulk. I'm talking $3-5 per cable for a 3 footer.

So using the excuse that "Dish doesn't supply" the cable is nothing but being lazy. What happens if Dish doesn't supply you enough nuts/bolts to assemble the dish? You going to just let it hang there? No.

When I had my 622 installed, I made sure to have an HDMI cable 'just in case' Dish didn't supply one. The installer did have a component/HDMI cable which he didn't need obviously. But at least they weren't relying 100% on dish to get their job done correctly.

If $3 is going to break your bank at each install, you are obviously not doing something right or in the wrong line of work.

Unless the tech (over) paid for that cable in the first place and didn't make much profit, he/she should be fired for ripping off a customer. I'm sorry, but a $4 component cable (3-wire, 10' long) from someplace like monoprice.com will provide a perfectly acceptable HD picture. There's no need to supply DVI or HDMI cables. If the customer wants that, let them buy it themselves. If the installer connects with component, the customer has full HD when he/she leaves.

My in laws had Dish installed @ my suggestion & I met the crew there, & let me tell 'ya, not all the installers are like the ones on this site... This pair spent like 2 hours aligning the dish to the EA using a 311 that didn't have the software update to even be able to see 77, or 72 in the point dish screen.

I furnished component cables to them for the main tv (had spares) yet they went into the set up screen & never changed it from 480p. Then continues to show my mother in law how to use it &... ready for this... showed her one HD channel, said it wasn't in HD, then channeled up to the next HD channel & says "so, can you see the difference"... I just said "they're both the same 'cause you still have it set for 480p" You would've thought snakes came out of my eyes the way he gave me the 'Whhhaaaaaa?' look... I believe that he legitamately had no idea what I was talking about...

What was my point?.... oh yeah... even if the cables are furnished w/ the receiver, it still doesn't guarantee you're gonna get HD when the installer leaves, unless YOU know what needs to be done... I'm sure my in laws would still be watching 480p if I hadn't furnished the cables, & set it for 1080i once the crew left...

I believe dish does supply cables recently i upgraded to 722 hd dvr which was sent via ups. Inside of the box with the receiver was a hdmi cable, composite cable, component cable, and a coax cable and it didnt cost me a penny for the upgrade just a new commitement

When my 722 was installed, the installer hooked it up composite and told me I had an HD picture. I told him you could not get HD with a composite setup and he said you could and even insisted that the 480i setup on the 722 was HD. I had an HDMI cable sitting right next to the receiver and he told me he could not use anything not supplied by Dish or by him to do the install. I then asked him to use the cables (he had an extra set of Y/R/W with him) and hook it up using the component hookup and he said you couldn't use Y/R/W and had to have component cables because "they won't melt like Y/R/W cable." At that point I threw him out, refused to sign the paper saying the install was complete, and hooked it up with the HDMI cable. I called E*, went up the chain as high as I could get, and let them know what this installer did. According to this particular employee, any installer who is doing an HD install is required by their contract with E* to provide an HD picture before leaving, and if they do not, they are in violation of that contract. I let this employee know that there were only Y/R/W cables in the box and he said it didn't matter, there had to be an HD picture before the installer left.

I believe dish does supply cables recently i upgraded to 722 hd dvr which was sent via ups. Inside of the box with the receiver was a hdmi cable, composite cable, component cable, and a coax cable and it didnt cost me a penny for the upgrade just a new commitement

I also just upgraded from a 622 to a 722 and the box came UPS and had an hdmi cable, a composite cable with audio, a component cable, and an s-video coax cable. I didn't ask for it, it was just supplied.

You can get a $4 HDMI cable from monoprice as well...

At a minimum I should think that the installers could install the composite video cable on the component video jacks as it would still look better. There will be a little frequency loss but it works in a pinch.

Installer are not supplied with the cables from Dish anymore, they have to pay for them and pass the cost on to the customers. Guess that installer didn't bring/have proper cables or customer didn't want to pay more for the install.

I paid $2.47 each for 2 of my HDMI cables and $3.99 each for the other 2 after the price went up. An installer can't afford that?

The point is that dish does not supply the HD cables. It is in no way the installers fault if the sub does not want to purchase the proper cables.
Actually it comes with cables that can do HD, if you have the right input on your TV. You can use composite for component cables and vice versa.

Many don't know that and think they need HDMI to get HD.

I paid $2.47 each for 2 of my HDMI cables and $3.99 each for the other 2 after the price went up. An installer can't afford that?
I don't think the installers should have to pay for this. They (Dish) should supply component cables with every HD box. Component will always work and provide HD. If the customer wants DVI or HDMI, it's their responsibility to purchase that cable.

i have had customers ask where the 'tv' was, assuming that since i came to install hd, i would be bringing their new hd tv with me.
you can just never tell...
by the way as bebop said, the red, yellow, whites will give an hd picture if installed on component inputs/outputs. but i agree, that it's not a permanent setup and not the best for quality and the customer should be informed.
dish DOES supply me with hd cables and i do install them on every new connect, trouble call, and service call.

If I lived in chicaganapolis, I'd ask for 'sca' on my install. :)

You have to draw the line somewhere, because you can't be giving out free TV's, outlets, power, houses, etc.

I doubt there would be this much concern if folks understood that the composite can be used as component cables.

Since the 722 outputs composite, component, HDMI, Coax, Digital Audio & S-Video - should they be required to have all 6 types of cables without knowing the TV ahead of time? I don't think so. But they should have some available if you need one. I recommend people looking into what they need to make sure their TV will accept the HD signal first - find out what is coming with the receiver and plan accordingly.

I ordered a HDMI after the installer left and it took about 3 days to get there from monoprice and saved everyone money. Even if the installer had a HDMI cable, I doubt I would have wanted to pay $40 for one.

by the way as bebop said, the red, yellow, whites will give an hd picture if installed on component inputs/outputs. but i agree, that it's not a permanent setup and not the best for quality and the customer should be informed.
Problem is, most will simply leave it alone. To them, "it works" and "I ain't messing it up", so they'll never go out and buy proper component cables or a DVI/HDMI cable.

i have had customers ask where the 'tv' was, assuming that since i came to install hd, i would be bringing their new hd tv with me.
you can just never tell...
The first time I delivered a Bose Lifestyle 5.1 the customer had seen the ad with the picture of the 5 small speakers and when we got there she said...."I'd like one speaker in the kitchen, one on the porch, one in the bedroom......"

garys said:
The cables do not show as part of the packing list.
Looking at the newest receiver available, the 722k, to be sure I'm seeing the most current information:

Cables and Accessories
Standalone List
  • (1) 20.0 IR Remote
  • (1) 21.0 IR/UHF Pro Remote
  • (1) UHF Antenna
  • (1) Y/Pb/Pr 3-Wire Cable (red, blue, green) (6 ft) (1) RCA 3-Wire Cable (red, white, yellow) (8 ft)
  • (1) RJ-11 Telephone Cable (25 ft)
  • (1) 15 db Attenuator
  • (8) 1.5V AAA Battery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)