In need of advise / help with Dish 500 locating both satellites Long post

Chippo

Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Iadho
Hello and a first post here, seeking help........
Have been using a Dish 500 LNB with a Dish 211 on a tripod for RV purposes for the last three years. Out of aprox 25 separate trips, I have been able to locate both satellites once, without moving the dish. I can usually locate both the 110 sat or the 119 sats quickly, but have to go out and change to either the 110 location or the 119 location and watch the programming respectively. When I want to watch programming on the other sat, I have to turn the dish to the other sat. I played with the skew for about 2 hours last weekend and could not pull in both sats at the same time. I went in small increments 20 degrees, both ways, from where I should have been with the skew and could not pull in both sats. I did a check switch after each adjustment. I even tried different ports on the LNB and that did not help and went back to the very left 119 port on the LNB, which I believe is correct. This tripod has blown over a couple times, maybe possible damage??? LNB is not cracked and looks to be in good condition, other than the blow overs. Spend time making sure tripod is level when setting up..................
Anyone have any ideas why I can only pick up one sat at a time???
Thanks.......

Yeah, I can probably get a newer head on E-Bay for a few bucks and swap them out.

The house has 4 rec'rs and it does have a 500 LNB that I could probably change out. It would not be easy as it is about 20' off the ground.

I am not 100% sure on which equipment works with which receivers, but it sounds like you might have the older LNB that needs 2 cables (one from each LNB) to a switch, then one cable into the RV. Are you installing the switch? I switched my RV dish 500 to a DPP LNB ( I use a 622 receiver in my RV). This allows me to run one cable to the receiver without a switch (since it is built into the LNB). Not sure if the DPP Note the 2 P's) works with your receiver or not. The experts here could answer that one. I aim with a satellite VU meter, then use the RV TV to switch between 110/119 to make sure I see both, then do a switch test. Then remove the cheep VU meter since it causes signal loss.

I do have the newer head that should require just one cable inserted into the far end of the two 119 ports. I have questioned Dish techs when they have come to the house.
I played for quite a while with a quite a few different settings with the skew on the last trip and could not get both sats to read off of one dish location. I had to turn dish to each sat to get the programming for each sat location found.
I have only had one trip were I located both sat in one stationary dish location.
I will try to swap out the RV head with the head at home and see if things work the way they should, with the RV head.
Thanks for the replies and help with my prob...........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)