In need of upgrade thoughts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

randyr

Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Hi All
I've been w/ E* for about 6 yrs now. I started with a 7200 and have moved a number of times. but never upgraded. HD was always just over the horizon, as it still is in many cases. Anyway, I have all legacy stuff. Dish 500, SW64, few misc switches, and a couple of receivers, only the 7200 I expect to keep.
I am in California. No local HD yet by Dish, only OTA. It appears that the HD locals when they happen could end up on 119 or 129, so I need to keep that option open. I am looking to add a 622. We have only one RG6 to each location.
I am looking for direction on this upgrade. Do I have to change out to Dish Pro stuff? Will a single wire work for ,if 3 sats are needed? If I am going for HD OTA, will single wire legacy work with diplexers.? My sense is that legacy, single wire, and dual tuner do not all go together. If I have to go to Dish Pro, what am I looking at.? What other things may be on the horizon, that I should take into accout?

Thanks for the input

You have decided on VIP622 and single coax so you will need Dish Pro Plus with a separator. Call DISH and see what they will offer you. A guess will be $299 to lease the 622 and a $100 if you need a dish 1000.

What boba said, if you want the best upgrade (HD, 2-tuner, DVR). With only one coax to where the 622 will reside you will need the DPP Twin LNB (with DPP44 switch if you want sat TV in more than 2 locations), and the separator that comes with the 622 to feed both tuner inputs. That same LNB will also feed your 7200 (or from the switch).

If you have an outside OTA antenna, that can be diplexed into/out of one of the downleads from the LNB, or you can diplex inside into the cable that feeds the 622.

It would be a good idea to think ahead to how much you might want to expand your system. The DPP44s are a bit expensive and somewhat in short supply, but try to hold out for one especially if you know you'll want 3 or more receivers. It might cost you a bit more up front, but really facilitate the future upgrade, which you might be able to do youself.

Hold onto that D500 as well. Many folks are reporting better results with the 129 sat using a second dish vs. trying to receive all three (110, 119, 129) on just the D1000. Of course you'll need a DPP LNB for it.

Finally - Dish offers $25 credit for the old receivers. That won't help you with the upgrade costs but will offset some programming costs. They're probably not worth anything otherwise. Get return boxes for them when you call to upgrade...

Welcome, BTW...!

Last edited:
Looks like DPP will be required. I currently have no lease fees or DVR fees. What are the fees associated with a 622. I also just found out about the AT&T Homezone setup. They are my phone and DSL provider, maybe another way to go.

- if you buy the 622, no lease fee.
- if you sub to a metal HD pack, no hd enabling fee otherwise $6
- if you sub to Platinum, no DVR fee otherwise $6
- if you plug the phone line no dual-tuner-phoneline fee otherwise $5

you can maybe get more than $25 out of that 7200 on ebay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)