In Supreme Court Brief, TV Networks Threaten to Reconsider Public Broadcasting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So if CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox all pull their signals, what happens to the local affiliates that are paying to carry the network feed. Could they file their own suit against the networks. Or would they all become independent stations showing infomercials all day.

A number of them receive a direct transmissions via fiber, microwave, etc. Although I'm sure a fair number still receive them the old fashioned way (UHH/VHF antenna). Regardless, I'm sure the networks would find a way to get 'em a pristine feed. Instead of ceasing broadcast, perhaps they would downgrade the signal (SD vice HD) or broadcast primetime a day or two after it premieres on it's HD feed. Who knows?

Network programming only accounts for a few hours a day out of the entire affiliates schedule. My opinion is they will make their diginets (MeTV. ThisTV, etc..) their primary programming focus and fill in with more syndicated programming and local stuff. No big deal.
Local news ratings would take a hit, they get a big boost from primetime. How many people watch MeTV when there is fresh network programming on.

I agree with osu1991 to a degree. I think many would adapt, though some might go out out of business. Whatever the case, it is long overdue for some kind of overhaul of that system. But I also agree, those affiliates are not just going to roll over and let the Networks take their programming to Cable.

I agree with osu1991 to a degree. I think many would adapt, though some might go out out of business. Whatever the case, it is long overdue for some kind of overhaul of that system. But I also agree, those affiliates are not just going to roll over and let the Networks take their programming to Cable.
Lets say these networks do go through with their threat. Can they risk losing viewership to those that don't have or cut cable. Would the casual viewer cut the cord just to spite the networks and chose tp pirate the content. I don't see the broadcasters ever getting their way of every last dollar from the viewer.

The other big issue is the sports contracts. The NFL and MLB make big money off of the network packages. Would they decide to dump the networks altogether and go on their own.

If free broadcasting goes away, heck YES they will have a pirate revolt on their hands!
The one thing the networks are afraid of is the one thing they can never stop. People want content on their terms. Not when the programmers say you want it. Once they realize that using the internet as a delivery system they can cut out the cable companies all together and get even more money going direct to the consumer. They are so afford of new media that they will do anything they can to keep their current stranglehold. Just like the music industry they won't change until it is too late.

That's fine if you watch TV in the same building as the antenna is physically located. That's what the law permits. Otherwise, it's just a scam to game a loophole in the law. Let me ask you this, shouldn't I be permitted to rent a virtual antenna in Los Angeles (I don't live in that DMA) and watch broadcast television from that LA market since I have exclusive use of that square centimeter of real estate? AEREO doesn't currently do this...but I'll betcha it's their next move should they win this case. Let's just say the NFL won't be very happy and it would mark the death of the NFL on broadcast television.

Good point. Just like AEREO doesn't qualify as a CATV system, you can't completely exclude it due to unforeseen advances in technology that were never ruled on. However, on the surface it just doesn't pass the sniff test. As Marcellus said to Horatio, "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

Anyway, I said Tivo would beat Dish...Voom would beat Dish...Tivo would beat Cable/Telcos...so I'm on a roll. I say the Broadcasters are going to crush AEREO. We shall see.

The law does not say where your antenna must be located. It does say you are entitled to a signal provided free from the Networks based on where you live, or where you are at the moment.
Aereo isn't providing out of DMA channels to everyone (Distants) because that is clearly prohibited. Just ask DISH. If you mean they will provide Distants to those who qualify, I would say based on the fact they are placing your local antenna where you can get locals, no. I suppose they could to someone who qualifies for Distants and who is not being served for locals by Aereo.

Local news ratings would take a hit, they get a big boost from primetime. How many people watch MeTV when there is fresh network programming on.

Our locals already provide 8hrs of news a day, they don't rely on the network programming as a lead in and more often than not preempt it any chance they get, and tell you to go watch it on the network website. I know many people that prefer MeTv and such to much of the junk the networks put out nowadays. Also most people I know watch dvr'd content and not live, so they are not going to watch those network shows until the weekend or the next night. I personally don't watch anything live other than football. I do watch a few things after they've been recording for 40 mins and catchup to the end but that is rare, most everything is a day or more later.

Sometimes it seems like Network programming gets in the way of locals news coverage.... :)

My local CBS affiliate runs weather alert crawls across the top of the screen on network programming so often that I've taken to watching the other CBS affiliate available to me on DISH in my market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)