In the end....after all the talk, Tiger DOES make Ryder Team...

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
All this tough talk from Pavin, from Grey, from other media outlets...in the end, golf knew full well that Tiger was needed from a TV ratings point of view, my in my opinion. People wanna see if Tiger is gonna play good in the Ryder(though his track record in this event is not that good) or is he gonna bomb miserably. Either one be a HUGE ratings bonanza. Let's see what happens.....

NEW YORK (AP)—Tiger Woods is going to the Ryder Cup as a captain’s pick with his 71 victories and 14 majors. So is 21-year-old Rickie Fowler, who has never won anything at all.

Corey Pavin made an obvious choice and a surprising one Tuesday morning at the New York Stock Exchange when he added Woods and Fowler, along with former major champions Zach Johnson and Stewart Cink, to an American team that will try to retain the cup.

“It just came down to feelings,” captain Pavin said. “I had a gut feeling about Rickie.”

The Ryder Cup is Oct. 1-3 at the Celtic Manor in Wales. The United States won two years ago at Valhalla, and will try to win for the first time overseas since 1993 at The Belfry.

This will be the sixth Ryder Cup team for Woods, but the first in which he needed to be picked. Woods had finished first in the standings every time, including in 2008 when he spent the second half of the year recovering from knee surgery.

The eight Americans who qualified after the PGA Championship were Phil Mickelson, Hunter Mahan, Steve Stricker, Jim Furyk, Matt Kuchar, Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson and Jeff Overton.

US Ryder Cup picks: Woods, Johnson, Cink, Fowler - Golf - Yahoo! Sports

It is all about the money. He has never been good in this format since his amateur days.

Sent from my Droid

Whether or not you agree with the system, Eldrick is still the No. 1 ranked player in the world. Kinda hard to keep him off the team....
I agree - there would be a lot of explaining to do in order to keep him off the team. Phil Mickelson had numerous opportunities to take over the #1 spot this years, but he certainly didn't play his best golf - however, winning the Masters means his season wasn't a failure.

How do those rankings work? I really do want to know.

Fun with math.

Every tournament in the world is accorded a number of points based on the quality of the field. These range from 100 for a major to 6 for the Canadian Tour. Players earn points based on their finishes. Players get to use their best 60 tournaments over the two year period. Only official Tour events count, not "silly season" stuff or the Cups and such.

The points are good for two years, but start to degrade after 13 weeks. The points lose a set %age of their value every week for the rest of the two year term.

Then you divide the points by the tournaments played in (with a minimum number of 40, so a person could not just win the only tournament he plays in and be #1) to yeild a ranking.

That is the craziest system I have ever heard of. You could win 4 majors in a 2 years span and not even play in any other tournaments and be #1. Stupid!

Fun with math.

Every tournament in the world is accorded a number of points based on the quality of the field. These range from 100 for a major to 6 for the Canadian Tour. Players earn points based on their finishes. Players get to use their best 60 tournaments over the two year period. Only official Tour events count, not "silly season" stuff or the Cups and such.

The points are good for two years, but start to degrade after 13 weeks. The points lose a set %age of their value every week for the rest of the two year term.

Then you divide the points by the tournaments played in (with a minimum number of 40, so a person could not just win the only tournament he plays in and be #1) to yeild a ranking.

My head is spinning. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)