Status
Not open for further replies.

John W

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Planet Earth
Lost power, on generator. Most trees are down. roof has come apart some. massive damage. eyewall should be back soon. TTYL

Batten down the hatches. Watch out for tornados too, even away from the eyewall. Stay away from the windows.

Kaluyen said:
Just called my dad in Ft. Myers, lost power but seems to be little damage and he is ok...

good news :)
(my dad's buddy has a place in Ft Myers and we werwe worried we'd have to fly down to "help him find his house")

I lost power and internet. Trees down all over the place. My screen pool enclosure is gone. all my trees are down. No gas to be had. luckily I stocked up on supplies. get back with you all when I can

John good to hear from you again, I was talking about you tonight at dinner with my wife wondering how you made out.

Stay well.

Thanks everyone. We are definately on the road to recovery but it will be a long road. Just got phone and internet back.

The power of the winds of this storm were unbelievable. A few neighbors lost their roofs. looks like a war zone.

John, sorry to hear about your damage. I was on Team "A" at the hospital from Sunday night through Monday afternoon. The back end of the hurricane was definitely worse. When I looked out the windows, I couldn't believe it. I think this storm was worse than when Charley came by us last year.

My wife told me that at the house, the wind and rain was deafening pounding against the shutters. Unbelievably, we never lost power, the kids were watching TV the whole time, only occasional sat outages!

And even though I bitched about the increased costs of building a house with the new hurricane codes, I have to say that it was worth it in the end. Still have my pool cage, and no damage, and am glad I put the shutters up. I was one of the lucky ones.

Good luck John!

Still don't have power. I can only log on for a few minutes a day while I have my generator running because we have no idea how long we will be without power and a very limited supply of fuel. I spoke with one of the higher ups at Bellsouth today (she was calling for my wife who works in the telecom field) and she said they were running out of fuel for their fleet and it will affect our communications.

I took down my dish for my FTA but the mounting bracket was damaged so no tv their. My dishnetwork dishes were trashed. LNB's were lying in other yards in pieces. Dishes mangled. I called E* to see when they could replace the dishes because they were damaged in a hurricane and they said that they would gladly do it and I should feel lucky because they will do it before December. I thought they had these fleets of people out installing dishes, my bad I guess. One other thing that sucks is that if you don't have a sat signal on the 942 you can't use OTA. Would have been nice to see some hi def while I have my generator running.

Anyway talk to you all later.

Ahh dude you should've took down those dish, dishes.

I had my folks take down theirs, their power also came back on tonight but there waiting till daylight tomorrow to put them back up. They're gonna see if when they turn their 811 back on it stays in OTA mode and still works cause I had them switch to OTA when they took the dishes down so they could continue watching OTA

Yeah hindsight is always 20 / 20 . We thought this was going to be a Cat 1 or 2 at the most when it hit the west coast then slow down a Cat before it hit us but it got up to a 3 and didn't seem to slow down much.

My Dishes are / were pretty high up and a little dangerous for me to try to remove and I wasn' t going to risk getting hurt for a supposed Cat 1

yes I run it about 4-6 hours on to run two fridges then off for about 6 hours. I occasionally check the Ben and Jerry's ice cream to see if it is soft so that I can make sure the food is cold enough. Of course while it is running we lay back and watch some OTA TV and surf the net a little.

We are very lucky that we have had cool weather. I can' t imagine what New Orleans went through with 100 degree temps and no water. Our temps have been about 80 during the day and 65 at night which is cool for us. Past few nights we have actually had fires in the fireplace once w turn the generator off. In some ways it is kinda nice but I am ready to go back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts