"In" with the installer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nhulst

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 20, 2007
Not sure whether this belongs here or in the Installer forum, but I'll give this a shot.

D* installer is coming out on Thursday morning for a three-receiver installation. In the interest of both time and getting things the way I want them, I've got most of the interior set up with both phone and RG-6. There's also a hole in the side of the house which was put there by the previous owners for god knows what, and I'd like to reuse that rather than have to drill a new hole. Now... having read some of the customer horror story threads in the Installer forum, I wouldn't begrudge any tech for being a little bit twitchy around a customer who has a lot of requests in mind. Having said that, beyond being generally polite and pleasant, what's the best way to get on the installer's good side right off the bat? I want to come across as helpful and not as a hotshot wannabe. I'm not above offering a frosty beverage if that's the best answer :D

If the installer is paid by the job, it should be to his benefit if I can help him get done faster. ...right?

For what it's worth, I've got a successful Ku FTA installation in place today, so I'm not a total novice :p

Not sure whether this belongs here or in the Installer forum, but I'll give this a shot.

D* installer is coming out on Thursday morning for a three-receiver installation. In the interest of both time and getting things the way I want them, I've got most of the interior set up with both phone and RG-6. There's also a hole in the side of the house which was put there by the previous owners for god knows what, and I'd like to reuse that rather than have to drill a new hole. Now... having read some of the customer horror story threads in the Installer forum, I wouldn't begrudge any tech for being a little bit twitchy around a customer who has a lot of requests in mind. Having said that, beyond being generally polite and pleasant, what's the best way to get on the installer's good side right off the bat? I want to come across as helpful and not as a hotshot wannabe. I'm not above offering a frosty beverage if that's the best answer :D

If the installer is paid by the job, it should be to his benefit if I can help him get done faster. ...right?

For what it's worth, I've got a successful Ku FTA installation in place today, so I'm not a total novice :p

Let the guy know when he gets there and you guys start surveying what needs to be done that you have ran coax and so forth ahead of time, he may be grateful and that will help the situation and kinda go from there.

As for the Beverage, if you referring to a Beer, you can ask but I would not expect him to join you ... If he does, fine... thats up to him.
When I am working and someone asks about a beer, I normally have more calls and kindly refuse, if its my last job, I may accept.

Jimbo

nhulst,

You are a rare person and deserve better than you may get from some installers.

You might try this. "Within the limits of the Basic, FREE installation...can you do this?"

THEN: "What would you do within the basic Installation guidelines to install this system?"

FINALLY: "How much to do it my way?"

I wouldn't offer booze unless it is his last job of the day and you are on hold activating the system (often pretty quick...sometimes not).

Regarding tips.......watch the work. Is it neat? Does it work? Is the tech learning on your time? If the tech is an employee the materials are provided by the HSP. If he is a contractor he provides the materials, insurance and tools. My rate is $60.00 for the first hour and forty for each additional hour. I upsell non standard parts but will quote a price and leave while it is considered; business, you know.

Report how it goes.

Joe

You might try this. "Within the limits of the Basic, FREE installation...can you do this?"

THEN: "What would you do within the basic Installation guidelines to install this system?"

FINALLY: "How much to do it my way?"

I hadn't thought to mention, but I will now... I'm not in it to "sweet talk" something for free that would normally be a value-added service. I just want to make sure that I don't come across as a pain in the ass, so I can get the installation done the way I want it, whether that means free or value added. I'm sure the installers get their share of "Oh, I know ALL ABOUT this stuff!" customers.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

The things you've already done are good, now heres more.

Move the entertainment center(s) out so he can get to the back of the tv,

Have nic naks out of the way,

Lock up the dog,

Lock up the kids,

Have the wife in a bikini ( if no wife or she's not in shape for it then call her hot sister )

Make sure yard is clear of animal poo,

Make sure house is clean ( you'd be surprised just exactly how common this is )

Be willing to work along side him if need be, this goes a long way and generaly puts the installer in a good move and gets him motivated. Idle convesation is good and will give you an excuse to watch what he does without making him feel like your scrutinizing every little thing he does ( one of my pet peeves ). Dont offer any installer beer as they have to drive and the last thing any installer needs is to loose his / he job through a generous act and a stupid mistake.

nhulst, if he does a good job, make sure you keep the workorder copy so you can request him next time for upgrades.
I had a Bruister & Associates employee install my system about 8 months ago. He did a fabulous job. He had to fish the walls, install phone lines, everything. Nothing is visible like he did it while the house was being built. The outside wiring is barely able to see and everything. I ran into him a few days ago and he said he no longer worked for them. He said he was involved in a civil suite against them for unpaid wages. He wouldn't go into it much because of the on-going suite. I was planning to get a HD DVR after the New Year and was hoping he'd be able to do it. Anyone know about this suite? I'd hate to know while he was doing mine that he wasn't getting paid what he was suppose to.

nhulst, if he does a good job, make sure you keep the workorder copy so you can request him next time for upgrades.
I had a Bruister & Associates employee install my system about 8 months ago. He did a fabulous job. He had to fish the walls, install phone lines, everything. Nothing is visible like he did it while the house was being built. The outside wiring is barely able to see and everything. I ran into him a few days ago and he said he no longer worked for them. He said he was involved in a civil suite against them for unpaid wages. He wouldn't go into it much because of the on-going suite. I was planning to get a HD DVR after the New Year and was hoping he'd be able to do it. Anyone know about this suite? I'd hate to know while he was doing mine that he wasn't getting paid what he was suppose to.

I don't know for sure, but I would bet it has something to do with charge backs.

btw, My tech left a business card and said to call if I had any trouble.

Looking good so far !

Jimbo

I don't know for sure, but I would bet it has something to do with charge backs.

btw, My tech left a business card and said to call if I had any trouble.

Looking good so far !

Jimbo

It might that too but he told me it had to do with him having to do things like not being paid on his trip home at the end of the day and the hour(s) he spent pre-calling customers the night before. He wouldn't say anymore than that but it was a several things like that. The attorney must be real confident because he said the worse that can happen is he get nothing because the attorney is doing it probono and I would think that this case would cost him alot like that to handle before a conclusion to it but like I said, if this guy got stiffed, more power to them. That'd be pretty screwed up if thats going on with us out here demanding perfection out of these guys and people like Bruister are screwing them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts