Income from Shopping Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
With all this worry about the Viacom negotiations, and whether it will cost us subscribers more money, I got to thinking... Why can D offer similar programming for the same or less than E, with all of the Viacom channels intact? Actually, TCPw/locals has much more than AT120w/locals for $2 more.(It's basically AT180 w/o the Encore Pack)

Getting to the point, D seems to only have a fraction of E's 13 shopping channels. Not only is it a huge waste of bandwidth, but I'm sure those channels pay E to to be there. (Why alse are they there?) With all that extra income, shouldn't our rates be lower than D's for comparable programming?

I wonder just how much income is derived from these channels? Any ideas? I also wonder how much less compression we'd see on the other channels without them?

GaryPen said:
With all this worry about the Viacom negotiations, and whether it will cost us subscribers more money, I got to thinking... Why can D offer similar programming for the same or less than E, with all of the Viacom channels intact? Actually, TCPw/locals has much more than AT120w/locals for $2 more.(It's basically AT180 w/o the Encore Pack)

Getting to the point, D seems to only have a fraction of E's 13 shopping channels. Not only is it a huge waste of bandwidth, but I'm sure those channels pay E to to be there. (Why alse are they there?) With all that extra income, shouldn't our rates be lower than D's for comparable programming?

I wonder just how much income is derived from these channels? Any ideas? I also wonder how much less compression we'd see on the other channels without them?
I f your that concerned why dont you subscribe to d* !!!
:D :D by the way E* makes money while D* loses money

If E* is making so much more money profit wise then why the fighting with Viacom? And, why the rate increase last month?

juan said:
I f your that concerned why dont you subscribe to d* !!!
:D :D by the way E* makes money while D* loses money

The first part of your answer had me going for a second. I'm glad you're only kidding, and just demonstrating how stupid that knee-jerk homer nonsense sounds.

The second part is very interesting. I didn't know that. I was under the impression that E was the one losing money until recently, while D was profitable for a while now. If what you say is correct, then it answers my question about price comparisons.

I still wonder how much income is derived from the shopping channels?

Neutron said:
If E* is making so much more money profit wise then why the fighting with Viacom? And, why the rate increase last month?

That is a VERY good question, and one of the reasons I started this thread.

an intresting thread, and while I agree I would like to see E* rate at simmilar levels to cable and D*.

All things being equal I like the idea of a company that is making money. Because they have more of an insentive to keep things going and do a good job. Where a company that is loosing money can always close up shop, or be an ass to their customers and they and go anywhere but up.

It is a simplification but I think E*s profitablity is actually a plus for them in my book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts