Income tax write offs for techs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borninabarn

Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
iowa
My First post might be in wrong place?Hello call me born.I worked for direct tv had a company vehicle but had to pay for my own fuel and for all Materials like comp fittings,ground wire, Rg6 cable,toners,comp tool glow rods,multi switchs,of course my bird dog,tom tom,inclometer,28ft ladder,drill,uniforms,cell phone,etc..I did get a w-2 I am asking how do I write all of this stuff on my taxes?what forms?Whatever.What do you guys write off for taxes??Hope to hear from you soon!Thanks,Born

I also worked for dish net work.I was injured on the job and cant do this kind of work anymore so I have alot of stuff I would like to get rid of at bargin prices!Lots of stuff!

if you want to do it yourself, turbo tax. Hope you saved your receipts.
I may be interested in a few of your install items, send me a pm with your asking prices

Sorry to hear about your injury. Good luck.

I went through turbo tax I didnt see where I would put all of my tools and supplys.Where do you guys put all of your stuff on your return?Born

you would probably need the turbotax home/business edition.

That allows you to do your business schedules and everything as you do your taxes. made my life easier for the 3 years i have ran a side thing of fixing computers.

You have 2 choices. The simplest is to include them as unreimbursed business expenses on your Schedule A in the misc. category (line 21). But this probably only makes sense if you are already filing Schedule A for other reasons (home mortgage deduction, etc.) and the items declared in that section are subject to a 2% of your AGI exclusion before the residual counts.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sab.pdf

As others mentioned you might be able to declare a business expense on Schedule C. This becomes a tricky as you then also have to declare that you have a separate business. If you were self employed and worked for DTV as a subcontractor then this method makes sense. Using this method otherwise is twisting the rules quite a bit. Since you got a W-2 from DTV, you were considered an employee and not a contractor (who would have received a 1099 instead). You need solid tax advice in that case and I doubt any of us here qualify.

If you are using TurboTax, I belleve even the simplest version allows you to complete both Schedules A and C. You just don't get as much support.

Get your advice from a tax advisor and be very wary of any advice you get here, including mine!

bhelms is right on. Your best bet is to go with it being an unreimbursed business expense. Make sure you only claim what is legit. A large number here is a big red flag for an audit. So only claim what you have receipts/credit card statements for.

I went through turbo tax I didnt see where I would put all of my tools and supplys.Where do you guys put all of your stuff on your return?Born
here is the IRS form you need
Form 2106.......http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2106.pdf

Simply follow the instructions.
You make your vehicle deductions... If you choose mileage make sure you kpet a mileage log. If you go with a fuel deuction. make sure you have gas receipts. If you choose mileage make sure you portion off some of it as "commuting" mileage.
If you have a newer vehicle and use it exclusively for buisiness, you may deduct depreciation.
If your vehicle iis older you may still deuct it but the amount must meet a certian threshold tyo mean anything.
All of you other deuctions go under "business expenses" This is all of you tools excessories, clothing for work, haircuts, footwear...Anything you bought or used for work purposes is deductable.
I suggest you pick up Turbo Tax premium for home and business. Make sure ythe version has both State and Federal.

last but not least, buy the audit defense for 40 bucks when all done.

i got audited one year, contacted the lawyer, and never once talked to the irs, just faxed to the lawyer whatever document he wanted....kept all my money too

last but not least, buy the audit defense for 40 bucks when all done.

i got audited one year, contacted the lawyer, and never once talked to the irs, just faxed to the lawyer whatever document he wanted....kept all my money too
Lots of writeoffs will raise red flags with the IRS gestapo. Keep all receipts!!!That is the defense.

The audit defense is a waste of money. Just keep all your receipts and don't do anything shady and you'll be fine. I was audited last year and it was a very painless process. Just sent in what they needed and I was good to go. I wasn't concerned at all as I knew everything that I did was legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts