Incompetence at its finest.

Ditto - I have only called them about 5 times since my HD upgrade in late '05, 2 of those calls related to the failed 622...

How do you get to Tech support directly?

Every time I try, I'm intercepted by a CSR that wants me to go thru the reboot procedure in Phillopino. Matters little how often I ask to be transferred to Tech. Once I even had a special invitation by a tech to call him back if the problem reappered after a few minutes. Hard Reboot first.
Thats of course after I go thru the automated push #3 for english phone tree and am reminded how much I owe and when its due and would I like to pay it now push #1, and then repeat all the information because all previous information given to the computer is not passed on to the CSR.

Dish Tech Support

I do everything through the Tech Support group. I believe they're still all on shore. Regardless, they have never directed me to a different department and have always answered all my questions including the nontechnical ones.

Hell, I set up my last upgrade through Tech Support. When the installer tech was late, they tracked his ass down. Tech Support is the ONLY way to go. I have called them a lot lately for various reasons and I always get an American to talk to. The Tech Support staff can do it all. I NEVER call front line CSRs. Companies need to get a clue (and I actually think they are starting to) that over-seas outsourcing is NOT good for business.

You seem to have a perfect grasp on how call centers work! Oh smity, let me correct some of your thinking:

1) it is an inbound call center, most are. in other words, we don't call back, it is a one call resolution type deal, we don't call out after the customer gets off the phone, continuing to work on that one customer's issue. may be effed up but thats the way it is. not the agents choice.

2) it is not a script or excuse, it is reality. i have wanted to call customers back many times to check up on them but I cant.

3) there are very few scripts. we certainly don't say anything to make you happy. there are knowledgeable agents, and not so knowledgeable, it is not a universal experience.

Furthermore, the installer's phone system in some parts of cali is terrible. Is terrible in a lot of areas actually, we cant get through to them. We can call supervisors, and managers but if they don't pick up the phone it isn't our fault. But I am sure you already knew that.

....well, the first thing we need is for someone to pick up the phone speak plain english and the capacity to understand english.

How do you get to Tech support directly?

Every time I try, I'm intercepted by a CSR that wants me to go thru the reboot procedure in Phillopino. Matters little how often I ask to be transferred to Tech. Once I even had a special invitation by a tech to call him back if the problem reappered after a few minutes. Hard Reboot first.
Thats of course after I go thru the automated push #3 for english phone tree and am reminded how much I owe and when its due and would I like to pay it now push #1, and then repeat all the information because all previous information given to the computer is not passed on to the CSR.

call 1 888 284 7116 and select the Tech Support option

Hell, I set up my last upgrade through Tech Support. When the installer tech was late, they tracked his ass down. Tech Support is the ONLY way to go. I have called them a lot lately for various reasons and I always get an American to talk to. The Tech Support staff can do it all. I NEVER call front line CSRs. Companies need to get a clue (and I actually think they are starting to) that over-seas outsourcing is NOT good for business.

Voom front line CRS was like that. Level 2 was serious hard tech people. Like switches and things.
Voom would call you back right away if you got dropped, from either end. Or to resolve a problem rather than keep you on hold [ignore] if they needed to do some research or brainstorming.

TNX for the phone number. That is a unpublished number.:D

Last edited:
A secret

The Trick is to Contact the call center Monday - Friday during normal buisness hours. to get English. After hours calls are out-sourced. Just dont order your system through Sprint/Embarq!

Installer #2 - he called, he came, he arrived and left on time. Like clock work. Kudos to an installer that knows what he is doing.

The only sad part as it turns out is I can't get a good enough signal anyway without a mounted extension (that violated the lease here). So all of last weeks strife was for nothing. I thanked the guy (he got the tripod out and tried) and sent him on his way. Guess I'll be suspending or cancelling the dish account until I move away from here (sometime in the next 9 months). I'll just have to read here about all the HD goodies as they come online and go see what Charter offers for the moment.

I was waiting for someone to say this. Of course, it's the customer's fault for not standing outside of his gated complex for four hours waiting for the installer to show up so he can hold the installer's hand and walk him into the complex.

NONE of this is the customer's fault, yet I read about the poor CSR and her call center, and, now, how the customer should have expected incompetence from the installer and been waiting outside for him.

Bottom line - the installer should have done the job he was contracted to do. When the customer telephoned the call center, he expected a resolution, which the CSR attempted to provide (even with her poor English), but couldn't because the installation contractor does not provide good service to Dish or the customer. Dish needs to start auditing their contractors and taking steps to correct problems like this. I wonder how many customers Dish has lost because of situations like this?

For everyone who says to go through a local retailer, here's my story about that. Several years ago, I was interested in the Dish Digital Home Plan where you lease the receiver and get a free dish and installation. I went to a local retailer who, even though he had pamphlets in the store detailing the Digital Home Plan, claimed he had no program that would provide a free dish and a leased receiver. I ended up having to call Dish directly to get the offer I wanted.

All my post is saying is that if E* is not living uo to his expectations then maybe he made the wrong choice. We all know what the bottom line is duhhh. The fact of the matter is if he wants the service and he KNOWS the installer is going to lie then he nneds to be proactive and something other than calling a csr at an 800 number. People who set thier expectations so high allways have a big fall, especially when it comes to the service industry.

Me BTW I had no problems with my install. They told me the date the time and it went off as planned no hitches. I live in a rural north florida county at the end of a maze of dirt roads with most of the signs missing. Knowing this could be a problem I waited at the main road for about a 1/2 hour till the E* van showed up.

I wanted the service, I knew there would be a problem for the installer finding my house so I did something about it.