Incorrect Dish HD installs

kesslerm

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
My parents (longtime Dish subscribers) recently bought a very nice 60" HDTV. I told them to contact Dish and be upgraded to a 622. The installer came out last week and hooked up a 622. On Saturday I went to check out the new system but found the HD widescreen modes weren't working as I expected. So, I looked in the back of the 622 to see how it was hooked up. It was hooked up with standard composit cables. I thought that must be some kind of mistake. Who would install a HD receiver to a brand new HDTV and not hook it up with a high-def connection? Called CS and they explained that a new mandate from corporate stated that high-def cables will no longer be provided. Unbelievable! Dish is out installing HD receivers and not letting the customers know that they are not able to see HD.

Something smells of Cheese

kesslerm said:
My parents (longtime Dish subscribers) recently bought a very nice 60" HDTV. I told them to contact Dish and be upgraded to a 622. The installer came out last week and hooked up a 622. On Saturday I went to check out the new system but found the HD widescreen modes weren't working as I expected. So, I looked in the back of the 622 to see how it was hooked up. It was hooked up with standard composit cables. I thought that must be some kind of mistake. Who would install a HD receiver to a brand new HDTV and not hook it up with a high-def connection? Called CS and they explained that a new mandate from corporate stated that high-def cables will no longer be provided. Unbelievable! Dish is out installing HD receivers and not letting the customers know that they are not able to see HD.
The 622's are shipped with component video cables. They are not high dollar ones but work fine. I think the dealer is pocketing them and then reselling them to unsuspecting customers as an "upgrade". Contact the ceo@echostar.com to get more info. I would bet that the company still sends out the same items and will probably send you a set for free. Then make sure if this is the case to have the dealer be called by dish and reamed for this type of dodgey work. :confused:

Yeah componet cables is HD and will support the format so that is correct.So if they did hook it up to a componet input on your tv that is correct. There is only 3 HD Inputs one componet the other is HDMI or DVI.. If your set is new it will just have componet and HDMI both support HD..

Last edited:
I just upgraded 2 weeks ago and my 622 did NOT come with comp. cables. Just the RCA cables. THis was a sealed package, unopened. I was told by ceo address that they no longer ship with them. I had some already, so no big deal. But they really should come with them. I know some DVD players do not come with them either.

Yeah my guess is they might have stop shiping cables due to its so hard to determine what folks are going to use. Some might use HDMI others might use componet. Overall all it might get expensive for them to ship both types of cables but over all I think they probally should atleast ship componet with all their HD receivers. But most folks when they buy their HDTV they will go ahead and get the right cables they need for their Tv anyway..

whatchel1 said:
The 622's are shipped with component video cables. They are not high dollar ones but work fine. I think the dealer is pocketing them and then reselling them to unsuspecting customers as an "upgrade". Contact the ceo@echostar.com to get more info. I would bet that the company still sends out the same items and will probably send you a set for free. Then make sure if this is the case to have the dealer be called by dish and reamed for this type of dodgey work. :confused:

Dish *used* to ship component cables with the 622 and 211 receivers. In the past few weeks, I've noticed a lot of my installs did not have them in the box; and our office receives these receivers directly from Dish.

When I first got HD hooked up the installer just used composite rca cables. The receiver did come with component cables so I just hooked them up when I got home. My wife was there when he installed it and he told her he had never done an hd install before.

My 811 came with a decent set of component cables along with the composite and coax stuff. My 622 came with only with the composite/coax stuff. For both I ponied-up for the digital cables myself, but also connected the component cables for comparison.

I can understand E* not including HD cables with the shipped unit, not knowing what the customer might need. But then why provide the cheapo composite/coax patch cords that most of us just throw in the drawer?

IMHO, there is NO excuse for an installer not connecting a 211/411/622 using HD cables of some type, even if he has to explain to the customer that E* doesn't supply them and they will cost extra.

But then there is also NO excuse for E* not paying for those cables, whether or not they actually supply them...

Since DISH went to the VIP series they have stopped shipping cmpt cable. I have to carry aftermarket cables to sell the customer when I do the install. However as stated above not all installers do so.

At my last upgrade (Swapped an 811 for a 622) It was a simple receiver swap.

THe guy took the 622 out of the box and I took it from him a so I could put it in my rack and connect it. All the wiring was already there and I didn't want him fooling with it.

So I get it all installed an turn on my projector for him to activate it and to make sure the HDMI is working, to set it to 1080i etc. he starts talking about what do I want to hook up to TV two and dual mode.... I tell him its just for in the theater and I want it in single mode and don't worry about it, just get it activated.

So long story short, I go looking in the box for the UHF antenna so I can put it on while the rack is pulled out... No UHF antenna in the box. No UHF Remote. No composite cables, no long phone cord. nothing but the paper, the manual and the styrofoam.

I ask him where the antenna is. He says "you don't need it"... I say uh, yeah I do. He say no you don't, you have it in single mode so you won't need it for TV 2.

I then tell him I still need it for the modulated output for SD TV's and that I have a long set of component cables going to the HD set in my bedroom. And I don't care what "mode" I have the reciever set to, all of that stuff is included.

So, he sheepishly pulls the bag with the UHF antenna and the other cables out of his pocket and hands it to me. I then poke around it the box and ask "Where's the UHF Remote?" he starts patting his pockets and pulls the UHF remote out of his back pocket and hands it to me.

Needless to say this knucklehead is feeling like an idiot, so I sign his paper and bid him good day.

Last edited:
I wouldent know why a installer would even risk it, at min its theft of property from the customer and in some localities it could be robbery or burgulary. i had a directv installer try and pull that, swaped out my uhf remote for a ir only one. i signed off and called directv when i couldent get the uhf feature to work, was told the h20 came with one i stated well i got an rf only one, they sent a new one, i hung up and called the cops at the sugestion of the csr that the tech probaly swaped it out to try and sell me as a upgrade or on ebay.

charper1 said:
I think some installers try to see what they can keep; maybe to sell on ebay?

Oh I'm sure it would have gone right on Ebay. I kept my eye on him every second he was in my house after I busted him.

I didn't push it with him becuse he'd been in my house seen all my stuff and I didn't feel like worrying about getting ripped off down the road. I just wanted him out of there.

Pretty sad since he didn't have to do ANYTHING but call in and activate the reciever. He was amazed when he watched me add my OTA channels. He'd never seen it before and thanked me for showing it to him. (This was before I discovered he decided to take my cables and remote)

I usually pre run wires and have everything ready for these guys when they show up because I know they don't generally make a lot. And I want it done my way anyway. This is the first time an installer tried something like this on me.

Turner South becomes SportsSouth on Oct.13

Dish 501

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)