increase OTA

cfkillers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
pg county, maryland
I switched my antenna from the TV to my dish receiver which is a vip612. well when antenna was hooked up directly to my television i got every possible digital channel Baltimore and Washington d.c. channels all PBS from Baltimore d.c. and Annapolis. when i hook antenna to dish receiver i only get d.c. channels the rest of channels signal is to weak. the channels i do get signal quality dropped from 87 to 75 is there a setting i need to adjust to increase sensitivity.

Most TV OTA tuners are going to superior to Dish OTA or the Dish two tuner MT2 OTA module, split internally. However, I can say that the MT2 is a tad better than the OTA tuner in TiVo Series 3, and TiVo Premier OTA tuner is reported to be inferior to the tuner in the Series 3. Just saying not all OTA tuners created equal. You may need to get a better antenna that will provide more gain to compensate for the OTA.

I have a rooftop antenna. When I had it hooked directly to my TV HDMI input, I could only get 3 channels for more than a few seconds (dropped signals). When I connected it to my 722, I get 8 channels (plus side channels) with no dropped signals. Most are at 100%.
Shneor

I have a rooftop antenna. When I had it hooked directly to my TV HDMI input, I could only get 3 channels for more than a few seconds (dropped signals). When I connected it to my 722, I get 8 channels (plus side channels) with no dropped signals. Most are at 100%.
Shneor

It sounds as if you overdrove the signal when you went directly into the TV...... Do you have any kind of an amplifier in your antenna to TV circuitry? If so, that could be a problem if you are close to your TV towers. Or your antenna has so much gain that it does the same thing even without the amp. You might need an attenuator to cut some signal back.

The 612 OTA tuner is horrible and not even worth the hassle. It causes reboots and locked acquiring satellite screens. I have my OTA roof antenna just hooked up directly to my TV for a while now.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like something is wrong. You might consider RAM'ing the 612. Could one of the DIRT :) (Dish Internet Response Team) members address this. This poster could use some official information as to how the OTA tuner in the 612 should behave.

shneor said:
I have a rooftop antenna. When I had it hooked directly to my TV HDMI input, I could only get 3 channels for more than a few seconds...

:eek: I'm surprised you even got any channels at all with an antenna connected directly to the HDMI input! :eek:
I hope you meant antenna input....

I get all channels on all of our TV's, but the HVHF channels (7 & 9) on the 722 jump all over the place, mostly dropping. While on the TV's singal strength is 90-100%. Looks like the OTA modules in DISH gear really suck. Dropping at 70%, while all my TV's still register 90-100%. It's getting very, old really fast. Enough to be looking for other services.

I get all channels on all of our TV's, but the HVHF channels (7 & 9) on the 722 jump all over the place, mostly dropping. While on the TV's singal strength is 90-100%. Looks like the OTA modules in DISH gear really suck. Dropping at 70%, while all my TV's still register 90-100%. It's getting very, old really fast. Enough to be looking for other services.
That is FM interference (3rd harmonics) that causes that. Get an FM trap and put it in line and it should take care of it.

Having done this myself with a 622 and comparing it to a direct to TV hookup I don't think it is a question of the OTA receiver's ability to pick up the signal. I think it's the DVR software that requires a certain signal level or it cuts the channel out. They probably need to do this so they can buffer the an hour's worth of programming to the hard drive. I am impressed with how the well the Dish software integrates OTA channels with the satellite channels however if you leave the tuner on a marginal channel it can cause the software to freak out. This can lead to mysterious receiver lockups when it's tuned like this and swapped out to the secondary channel.

Almost all set top antennas are going to suffer from a bad set of compromises in order to put it in a convenient package. Sitting it near a big flat screen can make it worse due to the electronic noise coming off the TV.

That is FM interference (3rd harmonics) that causes that. Get an FM trap and put it in line and it should take care of it.
Already have an FM Trap in line. The OTA tuner in the 722 drops at about 70-75% signal while the TV's direct are fine. It's the DISH OTA tuner, otherwise, the TV's should drop too, but don't. I installed a whole house 8 channel modulator system back in 1994 when DISH could only do one box, one set and have never had any issues with the sets themselves. Just the DISH OTA tuners.

Someday we'll all look back and say "those original OTA tuners were trash". Just wait . . . you'll see . . . but by then OTA will be long gone and all programming is DLNA. Which we are now getting more use out of.

The 612 OTA tuner is horrible and not even worth the hassle. It causes reboots and locked acquiring satellite screens. I have my OTA roof antenna just hooked up directly to my TV for a while now.
I have a 612 hooked up to an OTA antenna. Has never caused a reboot or 'acquiring satellite' screens. Had issues early on with programs glitching on playback that all but disappeared, but may be coming back.

Also, OTA isn't going anywhere. Where do you think cable companies/D*/E* get THEIR feeds of the local stations?

If there is an issue with OTA signal that can be verified as a fault in the tuner on the receiver, we can RA the equipment (so long as it hasn't been RAM'd already for the same issue). Normally you would here a response like "use a different antenna" or "we provide satellite signal and have no control over OTA signal strength," but a fault in the tuner itself is related to hardware and not signal.

If you are getting a loss of signal that locks the screen (rather then being able to change to guide through the MENU-1 option) then there is definitely a flaw. The tuner should behave differently then that honestly. It should not lock up the box at all. PM me if you are still having an issue in that regard and I will take care of it for you.

I did want to mention that it is possible that the antenna is providing too much signal to the tuner (as was mentioned with a TV earlier in the thread) and causing havoc that way too. For those of you with OTA signal issues that have not already checked, verify your antenna is the right antenna for you area or you may find consistent problems between channels. I hear Antennaweb frequently and checked it out. It was pretty informative and apparently I need a wicked one to enjoy all the programming available in my area.

Last edited:
I want Dish to get the guide data to show up on my OTA and then I will be happy. VIP922
I think you need to subscribe to locals to get the guide data. The only reason I can think is the PSIP information embedded in an OTA signal may only have the next day or two available, Dish can provide a week.

thomasjk said:
You need a packge that includes your locals for this to happen.

I do have locals and still my ota do not show guide data. So recording is useless. On direct I never had this issue.

Very fustrating because ota is the only way to get my pbs. Kwcm

Also I call and dish reports it and nothing gets fixed

I do have locals and still my ota do not show guide data. So recording is useless. On direct I never had this issue.

Very fustrating because ota is the only way to get my pbs. Kwcm

Also I call and dish reports it and nothing gets fixed

Recording is not useless. Use a manual timer for the OTA channels, what I did until the locals showed up in the guide... I grew up w/ VCR's and setting a timer for a certain time & channel was not that complicated, well, unless it's CBS, and it's Sunday, and there was some sort of sport on, why, the Man Upstairs himself could not tell you what time a show would be coming on, much less a guide????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)