Indianapolis 500 Goes All the Way in HD

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May 17, 2007[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Indianapolis 500 Goes All the Way [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Qualifying Runs Get HD Coverage
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Stephanie Robbins[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Race car enthusiasts have more to smile about than just fast cars, hot dogs and cold beer. For the first time, the 91st Indianapolis 500 race will be airing in HD.

In addition to the race, both qualifying weekend runs will be shown in high definition on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN on ABC.

“One of the most frequent requests from our fans is a high-definition telecast of the Indianapolis 500, and we’re thrilled to fulfill that demand,” said Joie Chitwood, Indianapolis Motor Speedway president and chief operating officer. “This will bring home the color, pageantry and excitement of the greatest spectacle in racing in vivid detail to the ever-growing numbers of homes with HD sets.”

The Indy 500 is made for HD, according to Steve Ridge, executive VP of Frank Magid Associates.

“Major event coverage is ideal, especially automobile racing,” he said. “It’s one of the sporting events that is particularly well-suited to showcasing what high definition is all about.”

Airing major events in HD will raise more awareness about the technology, he added.

IMS Productions will be filming the race using Sony HD technology. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IMS Productions and the IndyCar Series all plan to continue to work with Sony to develop a library of high-def footage from this year’s event.

The Indy 500 airs Sunday, May 27, at 1 p.m. EST on ESPN on ABC.

“The start of the Indianapolis 500 is one of the most dramatic moments in sports, and providing flag-to-flag coverage … will add to our viewers’ enjoyment of the race,” said John Wildhack, ESPN executive vice president, programming and acquisitions.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Source: tvweek.com

[/FONT]

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
It's about friggin' time. I can't believe it took them this long to do it.

mecro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 11, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Maybe somebody can clarify...This will be my first year watching the 500 from within the Indianapolis market. Someone told me that Indy's ABC channel isn't allowed to air the race live! Is this true?

AT&TDishman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 4, 2006
Indianapolis
Maybe somebody can clarify...This will be my first year watching the 500 from within the Indianapolis market. Someone told me that Indy's ABC channel isn't allowed to air the race live! Is this true?

Yes, it is true. No live 500 in the Indy viewing area which covers most of Central Indiana. They are afraid it will cut down on attendance. I have news for them attendance has been down since Tony George created the IRL and IMS wanted to make the 500 "family friendly". When they got rid of the Snake Pit in Turn 1 and other rowdy areas inside the track they lost about 100,000 fans and an equal amount of dirty old men fans who would spend the entire race looking for non-family friendly activities from the stands with their high powered binoculars. The 500 used to be sold out a week after the race; now they have tickets available year round. Viva NASCAR!!!

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
actually, last weeks qualifying was in hd. i imagine this weekends will be as well.

as for formula one, i thought i read somewhere that was going to happen soon. i thought it was this season but guess not!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)