Info box keeps popping up

aonflux

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
hi everyone,
I switched to satellite a month ago. I have a vip722 dvr attached to my first hdtv and a 211 attached to the smaller hdtv in the other room. the 211 works just fine.
On the 722 however, the info box keeps popping up on screen without me pressing any buttons on the remote. I called up dish support and after waiting on hold for nearly an hour, all they could tell me was to reset the dvr. I did that but the problems still continued. It happens mostly when I turn on the dvr. It happens continuously. I hit cancel and it appears again. This goes on for around 5 minutes and then problem resolves on its own.
has anyone had a similar problem? I could call and get them to replace my dvr but since i have spent a lot of time programming my timers and such, I would rather not.
Thanks.

I had the same problem w/ my 722, It was a bad remote. I called Dish had them replace the remote, no more problems.

Thanks for your replies. I removed the batteries for around 30 seconds and then out them back in. the problem is still happening. i will call dishnetwork for a new remote and see if that helps.

Thanks for your replies. I removed the batteries for around 30 seconds and then out them back in. the problem is still happening. i will call dishnetwork for a new remote and see if that helps.
No, take the batteries out and leave them out, i.e. disable the remote control completely. You probably have a defective remote that has the "Info" button sticking.

Also, if you're not using TV2, do you have the 2nd remote ? If so, do you also have the green or blue 'plugs' that go in the bottom-front of the remote ? You can swap them to make the remote work for TV1 or TV2 (and UHF or IR).

I have been having the same problem with a ViP222, along with the remote not working for the first minute or two when you turn on the box.

I'll call for a replacement.

UPDATE: I called customer service. The replacement remote is being shipped UPS 2nd day. No charge for the remote or shipping.

Last edited:
I called my installer. He is going to replace the 722 tomorrow. Hopefully it will be ok after that. It will be painful to program all my timers again though. Wish there was a way yo transfer all my timers to the new 722. Thanks everyone and I will keep you updated.

Four of us said to replace your remote.... Do us a favor and keep your current remote and use it with the new receiver. Let's see if the problem remains.

Four of us said to replace your remote.... Do us a favor and keep your current remote and use it with the new receiver. Let's see if the problem remains.

it was the dvr itself. i tried my other remotes and the problem still persisted. that's when i called them. i requested to keep the old remote (as well as the new one) with the new dvr, and so far the problem has not come up. thanks everyone for your help.

Did you try re-addressing the remote, most of the time this is UHF interference. The remotes have multiple addresses that they can use to communicate with the receiver. If you go to system info and hold down satellite on the UHF remote until all the lights light up, press a number between 1-15 (normally the info box problem is on address 1) and then hit record the remote address will change on the screen to another number.

Here's a link for more help.

Tech Portal : Errors & Troubleshooting (Common) : Info Banner Popup (random)

thanks gumgod, but i have already got a new receiver and don't have the problem anymore.
i also wanted to let you know that i don't use the UHF remote at all since my second tv is a hdtv and i have a separate hd receiver for that tv.

I have been having the same problem with a ViP222, along with the remote not working for the first minute or two when you turn on the box.

I'll call for a replacement.

UPDATE: I called customer service. The replacement remote is being shipped UPS 2nd day. No charge for the remote or shipping.

Well...so much for the "award winning customer service". Here it is almost a week later and no remote. I called and they had no record of me talking to them Sunday, them sending a remote, or any UPS 2nd day shipping.

Hmmm. :mad:

It is straightened out now. I should get both the IR and UHF remote in 4 business days via UPS.

I did make sure to get the tracking number.

I sure hope it is the old remote and not the ViP222 with the problems.

I finally got the replacement remote.

It is an 6.3 IR/UHF version, so it can be used for TV1 or TV2 by changing out the colored tabs on the bottom. There are different tabs depeding on your receiver.

The bottom line: the new remote fixed the info box problem.

lowdown

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)