Info needed on Boston Celtics on CSN NE in Connecticut

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaulieORF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Southington, CT
If you have DirecTV, and live in any of the towns in Connecticut listed below, please let me know whether or not you receive the Boston Celtics games on Comcast Sportsnet New England on channel 620. I am getting some conflicting information about whether or not I'd receive them in my town. Thank you.

The towns are:

Middlebury, Plymouth, Prospect, Waterbury, Wolcott

If you have DirecTV, and live in any of the towns in Connecticut listed below, please let me know whether or not you receive the Boston Celtics games on Comcast Sportsnet New England on channel 620. I am getting some conflicting information about whether or not I'd receive them in my town. Thank you.

The towns are:

Middlebury, Plymouth, Prospect, Waterbury, Wolcott

You didn't ask, but they aren't available in Cheshire.

DIRECTV - SPORTS PACK

Comcast SportsNet (New England), Channel 620

CSN New England covers sports in the Northeastern U.S. including the Boston Celtics, Connecticut Suns, and New England Revolution. A regional sports network, CSN New England also features programs such as "The Best Damn Sports Show Period," "The Sports List," "CSN Across America," and "Beyond the Glory."

If you have the Premier (comes with sports pack) or without premier, you need to get sports pack I think.

You can also go to this site for RSN based on you zipcode:

Local Regional Sports Network Information

DIRECTV - SPORTS PACK

Comcast SportsNet (New England), Channel 620

CSN New England covers sports in the Northeastern U.S. including the Boston Celtics, Connecticut Suns, and New England Revolution. A regional sports network, CSN New England also features programs such as "The Best Damn Sports Show Period," "The Sports List," "CSN Across America," and "Beyond the Glory."

If you have the Premier (comes with sports pack) or without premier, you need to get sports pack I think.

You can also go to this site for RSN based on you zipcode:

Local Regional Sports Network Information

I've read this before. But the problem seems to be that either the blackouts are being enforced incorrectly, or DirecTV's local sports lookup is wrong. Their lookup tool says that I should get Celtics games on CSN New England in my town, yet I have yet to find a DirecTV or Dish customer who doesn't have the games blacked out. YET, there are areas whose zip codes say they do not get Celtics from DirecTV, but those towns get the games via cable. Something is wrong with this picture...

I've read this before. But the problem seems to be that either the blackouts are being enforced incorrectly, or DirecTV's local sports lookup is wrong. Their lookup tool says that I should get Celtics games on CSN New England in my town, yet I have yet to find a DirecTV or Dish customer who doesn't have the games blacked out. YET, there are areas whose zip codes say they do not get Celtics from DirecTV, but those towns get the games via cable. Something is wrong with this picture...

Unfortunately cable companies can give those channels without blackouts, while in some cases DirecTV cannot. I don't believe this is legal (discrimination to a specific carrier), if cable can offer it in your zip, so should any other competitor, that's why we have competition, and the FCC to enforce that, so not one company can monopolize. I think the engineering department at DirecTV needs to reevaluate the zip codes because they are messed up. It takes time when there is an incorrect blackout to get corrected, I would call DirecTV and ask to speak to engineering to get this resolved.

I don't have current information, but about fifteen years ago, I serviced TV systems for sportsbars in that area, and the rule used to be that because the New York Knicks and Boston Celtics 125 mile exclusive services regions overlapped, they drew a straight line between the two circle's intersection points and if you were on the northeast side of the line you got the Celtics or if you were on the soutwest side you got the Knicks, and franchised cable companies had to actually give different RSN feeds (I don't think we used the term, RSN back then) to customers of the same cable system living on the same street. Did that league policy ever change?

I don't have current information, but about fifteen years ago, I serviced TV systems for sportsbars in that area, and the rule used to be that because the New York Knicks and Boston Celtics 125 mile exclusive services regions overlapped, they drew a straight line between the two circle's intersection points and if you were on the northeast side of the line you got the Celtics or if you were on the soutwest side you got the Knicks, and franchised cable companies had to actually give different RSN feeds (I don't think we used the term, RSN back then) to customers of the same cable system living on the same street. Did that league policy ever change?

Thanks for this.

I don't know if it's change or not, but it's virtually impossible to find any information stating exactly how the NBA local territory, expanded territory, and blackouts work. When attempting to contact the NBA, Celtics, and Comcast Sportsnet, I get nothing on this. It's very frustrating.

I don't know about the NBA, but when I had cable, we had Sportschannel New England, but when the Mets were on, we got the Sportschannel NY feed.

If I were you I would PM Questioner - he is the unmatched source of New England HD information.

Just reverse what he says and you will be good to go.

I live in Oxford and also can't get the Celtics, it is wierd because last year I did get the Celtics sometimes on Ch 620 not it blacks out the games. But I do get the pre and post game. Anyone ever contact the channel on this issue. I really want to watch the games. I order the sports pack $12 a month and still gets black out.

I've been researching this too, and I believe this is still the case. I couldn't make any rhyme or reason to what went where, and this is the most logical.

Really crappy, if you ask me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)