Info needed....

joedekock

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
West Michigan
for possibly switching to E*.

Here are the questions, that if answered will help me decide to switch or not.

MPEG4 - Does dish have this already? I know D* just released it, and are rolling out the locals in HD for subscribers, but no new national HD channel's, (that are worth anything anyway). They did release CDUSA in HD, and are most likely going to release National Geographic HD this month. These are two channels I could do away with, as most D* HD subscribers will tell you. I am also reading that Dish has MPEG4, but I was not aware of when it came out, and I do watch these boards fairly close.

Locals in HD - Although I am upset that D* does not have some of the channels that E* has, I do have a hard time picking up all of my locals in HD from an antenna. I can get half of them, so this is also important to me , since D* will have them in my area this summer. With D*, I will need to upgrade my dish to a 5 LNB dish, which also is twice the size as the 18" oval dishes. This is required for their MPEG4 also. Its a big, ugly dish, and if I want MPEG4 and locals in HD and future HD channels, I will need it. What is E*'s plans for locals in HD?

VOOM Channels - I did call E* last fall and they informed me that if I want to pick up the voom channels as well, I would need to get a second dish to get them. Is this true? I would rather have a bigger dish than two dishes. This is not as important to me though if I did switch, because I would most likely not get the Voom channels, as I don't think I like the content on them very much. (just a personal opinion, I know a lot of people love them).

Future HD - We all know that D* is going to be launching a lot of HD content after this year when they finish rolling out all of their DMA's local HD channels. This is the main reason for the MPEG4. What is E*'s future with HD content, is this why the released MPEG4 as well?

It seems like E* is the way to go because you guys have triple the posts and activity on the board compared to D*, so they must have something right!

Thanks!

question 1. Dish lauched mpg 4 today... Lots of national hd like univ and espn2hd are in mpg4 aka mpg2 with mpg4 headers.. lots have said they look good :) compared to D* they look great!

2. Depends on your market... Let us know what market your in and we can tell you when and if they launch

3 all 15 voom channels are avaible on one dish its like the oval directv paratodos dish.. that will get you 110,119,129 and is also known as the dish 1000

4. I belive that there are 6 more un named national hd channels to lauch on E* by the end of the year.. IM sure Natgo would be one as well as MHD (speculation though)

5. Compared to D* if you want hd E* is definatly the way to go.. the only downside is E* does not have nfl sunday ticket.. but 9 months out of the year thats not an issue :)

joedekock said:
MPEG4 - Does dish have this already? I know D* just released it, and are rolling out the locals in HD for subscribers, but no new national HD channel's, (that are worth anything anyway). They did release CDUSA in HD, and are most likely going to release National Geographic HD this month. These are two channels I could do away with, as most D* HD subscribers will tell you. I am also reading that Dish has MPEG4, but I was not aware of when it came out, and I do watch these boards fairly close.

It seems like E* is the way to go because you guys have triple the posts and activity on the board compared to D*, so they must have something right!

Thanks!

Can i ask questions about your thought process ?
Why is mpeg 4 a decision point ? I'm just intrigued as "non-technical" user, i don't know that i care if its mpeg 4 or not, so was wondering why you did ?

Also number of posts doesn't in my mind equate to a better vendor, it could be just that there are more technophiles here and the technology is more interesting. Perhaps the answer to my question :D

goaliebob99 said:
question 1. Dish lauched mpg 4 today... Lots of national hd like univ and espn2hd are in mpg4 aka mpg2 with mpg4 headers.. lots have said they look good :) compared to D* they look great!

2. Depends on your market... Let us know what market your in and we can tell you when and if they launch

3 all 15 voom channels are avaible on one dish its like the oval directv paratodos dish.. that will get you 110,119,129 and is also known as the dish 1000

4. I belive that there are 6 more un named national hd channels to lauch on E* by the end of the year.. IM sure Natgo would be one as well as MHD (speculation though)

5. Compared to D* if you want hd E* is definatly the way to go.. the only downside is E* does not have nfl sunday ticket.. but 9 months out of the year thats not an issue :)

Thanks for the info goaliebob! After hearing someone say that I only need the one dish for both VOOM and E* programming, it is looking more attractive for me. So for my 100th post, I will announce that I will talk to my wife about allowing me to switch! :) (I am going to have to pay to get out of my contract with D*, so she may say no). :(

gbjbany said:
Can i ask questions about your thought process ?
Why is mpeg 4 a decision point ? I'm just intrigued as "non-technical" user, i don't know that i care if its mpeg 4 or not, so was wondering why you did ?

Also number of posts doesn't in my mind equate to a better vendor, it could be just that there are more technophiles here and the technology is more interesting. Perhaps the answer to my question :D

Because with D* to get their MPEG4 you have to upgrade to their 5 LNB dish, and its 32" instead of 18". Also you need to have a mpeg4 receiver.

And for comparing the number of posts between D* and E* on sites like these... If D* claim to be the "Worlds Leading satellite technology", then why is there not as much interest in it on these boards?

Voom can be obtained at 61.5

I am currently using my dish 500 at 61.5 for Skyangel since 06/04 & when I heard voom was going out of business and found they used the same 61.5 direction I was really suprised.

joedekock said:
for possibly switching to E*.

Here are the questions, that if answered will help me decide to switch or not.

Locals in HD - Although I am upset that D* does not have some of the channels that E* has, I do have a hard time picking up all of my locals in HD from an antenna. I can get half of them, so this is also important to me , since D* will have them in my area this summer. With D*, I will need to upgrade my dish to a 5 LNB dish, which also is twice the size as the 18" oval dishes. This is required for their MPEG4 also. Its a big, ugly dish, and if I want MPEG4 and locals in HD and future HD channels, I will need it. What is E*'s plans for locals in HD?

VOOM Channels - I did call E* last fall and they informed me that if I want to pick up the voom channels as well, I would need to get a second dish to get them. Is this true? I would rather have a bigger dish than two dishes. This is not as important to me though if I did switch, because I would most likely not get the Voom channels, as I don't think I like the content on them very much. (just a personal opinion, I know a lot of people love them).

Future HD - We all know that D* is going to be launching a lot of HD content after this year when they finish rolling out all of their DMA's local HD channels. This is the main reason for the MPEG4. What is E*'s future with HD content, is this why the released MPEG4 as well?

Thanks!

they have triple the posts and 3 million fewer customers, 4 times the problems and higher costs. that is why there are more posts.

and now i will get either STONED or CRUCIFIED.

how dare you dis DISH!!!!

charlie is our SAVIOR!!!

think you have problems now, SWITCH....and grab the ankles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)