Equipment needed and fees

Ideb

Original poster
Apr 17, 2023
Oklahoma
I hope I'm posting my question in the right place. I noticed my year contract ended and my bill went up from $105 to 145 for America's Top 200 plus locals so I gave Dish a call fully intending to drop it and go with Youtube Tv. However they offered me $50 off and said they'd replace my old VIP 710 receiver with a Hopper Duo and Joey without an extra charge. The reason I would like a different receiver is because I can no longer get the tv 2 to work on the receiver. Other than that I'm still happy with the VIP 710. I didn't decide immediately and called back a little later to take them up on it. We also have a 612 receiver in another building (an office) on our property. It is all hard wired to the satellite-very old set up. This time she said we couldn't keep the 612 and would have to go 2 Joeys. Would that even work in a different location about 200 feet away? It was also going to raise my equipment fees from $17 per month to $25 per month.

The second building would require a second hopper and it would have to be purchased. So you could have dish come swap your existing receiver fir a hopper duo and Joey but they'll have to also deactivate your 612. Then for the second building you could buy another hopper duo online and then call dish and activate it. However in not sure if the system will allow two hopper duos to be activated. I've never seen it done, so you may have to go to a hopper2 or hopper3, which will cost even more per month.

You could also try to run a cable between buildings and add another Joey (which would require hopper 2 or 3), and see if it will work. 200ft of cable between hopper and Joey is our listed max but I've seen it done on longer as long as there's no extra connections inline. If you can get a Joey to work that will be your cheapest option. Also, while not approved you could also run an ethernet between back of hopper to back of Joey as ethernet is good up to about 300ft.

The second building would require a second hopper and it would have to be purchased. So you could have dish come swap your existing receiver fir a hopper duo and Joey but they'll have to also deactivate your 612. Then for the second building you could buy another hopper duo online and then call dish and activate it. However in not sure if the system will allow two hopper duos to be activated. I've never seen it done, so you may have to go to a hopper2 or hopper3, which will cost even more per month.

You could also try to run a cable between buildings and add another Joey (which would require hopper 2 or 3), and see if it will work. 200ft of cable between hopper and Joey is our listed max but I've seen it done on longer as long as there's no extra connections inline. If you can get a Joey to work that will be your cheapest option. Also, while not approved you could also run an ethernet between back of hopper to back of Joey as ethernet is good up to about 300ft.
Why would they have to deactivate the 612?

You can’t have a Hopper and a VIP receiver on same account
Why not use a Wally in the out building? How many TV’s are hooked to that 612?
Just one tv on the 612. The Dish rep I talked with on the phone didn't mention anything about a Wally. She said something about a Hopper (I'm not sure which one) and 2 Joeys-one for tv2 or the bedroom tv in the house and one for the office.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just one tv on the 612. The Dish rep I talked with on the phone didn't mention anything about a Wally. She said something about a Hopper (I'm not sure which one) and 2 Joeys-one for tv2 or the bedroom tv in the house and one for the office.
Is it on the same dish as the receiver in your house?
If so then a Joey would probably work (the distance may be an issue). If it’s a different dish then a Wally would be what you need.

My relative upgraded a couple years ago from SD to HD and got a hopper/Joey set up. They have an out building on the property that had its own dish and an old receiver. We upgraded that to a Wally…purchased outright for under $100.

If so then a Joey would probably work (the distance may be an issue). If it’s a different dish then a Wally would be what you need.

My relative upgraded a couple years ago from SD to HD and got a hopper/Joey set up. They have an out building on the property that had its own dish and an old receiver. We upgraded that to a Wally…purchased outright for under $100.

Yes, the 612 in the office is on the same satellite as the 722 in the house with cables going from the sat to both locations. I just called and talked to someone else at Dish. He said the wally wouldn't work in the office if I got a hopper and a Joey for the house. He said I would have to have a Hopper in the office too so $15 for each hopper and also a Joey fee for the house. That's more than I want to spend on equipment fees.

Yes, the 612 in the office is on the same satellite as the 722 in the house with cables going from the sat to both locations. I just called and talked to someone else at Dish. He said the wally wouldn't work in the office if I got a hopper and a Joey for the house. He said I would have to have a Hopper in the office too so $15 for each hopper and also a Joey fee for the house. That's more than I want to spend on equipment fees.
That person is wrong. Since the dish is hooked up to both receivers the original rep was right. Hopper in main room. Joey in 2nd room. Joey in office
They wanted to do same setup for my relative (Hopper/2 joeys) until we explained the out building was on its own dish and about 400 feet away. They installed a Hopper and Joey in the house and we bought the Wally for the out building

That person is wrong. Since the dish is hooked up to both receivers the original rep was right. Hopper in main room. Joey in 2nd room. Joey in office
They wanted to do same setup for my relative (Hopper/2 joeys) until we explained the out building was on its own dish and about 400 feet away. They installed a Hopper and Joey in the house and we bought the Wally for the out building
When I told him (the third person I talked to yesterday) about our current setup, he said if we have a separate receiver in a different building then I would have to have a separate account for the office.

When I told him (the third person I talked to yesterday) about our current setup, he said if we have a separate receiver in a different building then I would have to have a separate account for the office.
Just order a hopper and 2 joeys. Don’t tell them you have a out building. Just say 2 bedrooms. The reps are confusing everything up (as each rep gives you a different answer). Looks like the first rep you spoke with had it correct (hopper and 2 joeys).

I guess I’d say the Hopper Plus or the Hopper 3.
They can record a boatload of programs at once.

I’m sure someone else can comment on best option
The Hopper Plus is an add on device for a Hopper with Sling (Hopper 2) or Hopper 3. I would go for the Hopper 3. It's the best of all worlds but the OP needs to make an economic decision.

You can’t have a Hopper and a VIP receiver on same account
Why not use a Wally in the out building? How many TV’s are hooked to that 612?
Actually you can. With the proper switch and hubs you can mix Hoppers and ONE VIP receiver. CSRs are told that Hoppers and VIP receiver are INCOMPATIBLE and can’t be mixed. That’s because with newer Hybrid installs won’t work directly with VIP receivers, and opposite for older VIP installs. But using a 42 or 44 switch going to the VIP receiver and Hybrid hubs on the other side of the switch solves that. This is a more exotic installation that CSRs generally don’t run into and throws them.

Once you have everything hooked up working, and the promo channel showing on the receiver you’re trying to add, tell the CSR that and it’s all working and all they need to do is authorize it. If they still won’t budge, play CSR roulette. Eventually you’ll get a CSR that will authorize it without question. Or you can authorize it online which doesn’t ask any silly questions.

Actually you can. With the proper switch and hubs you can mix Hoppers and ONE VIP receiver. CSRs are told that Hoppers and VIP receiver are INCOMPATIBLE and can’t be mixed. That’s because with newer Hybrid installs won’t work directly with VIP receivers, and opposite for older VIP installs. But using a 42 or 44 switch going to the VIP receiver and Hybrid hubs on the other side of the switch solves that. This is a more exotic installation that CSRs generally don’t run into and throws them.

Once you have everything hooked up working, and the promo channel showing on the receiver you’re trying to add, tell the CSR that and it’s all working and all they need to do is authorize it. If they still won’t budge, play CSR roulette. Eventually you’ll get a CSR that will authorize it without question. Or you can authorize it online which doesn’t ask any silly questions.
When it comes to mixing vip and hopper, only a purchased vip can be activated. For a tech to activate the hopper and Joeys all vip absolutely must be deactivated first. Then any purchased vip receivers can be reactivated. But if it's a leased receiver they will not be able to reactivate it, despite dish not even wanting it back, and will need to purchase another one if wanting to go back to vip.

When it comes to mixing vip and hopper, only a purchased vip can be activated. For a tech to activate the hopper and Joeys all vip absolutely must be deactivated first. Then any purchased vip receivers can be reactivated. But if it's a leased receiver they will not be able to reactivate it, despite dish not even wanting it back, and will need to purchase another one if wanting to go back to vip.
Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I just called Dish as I have relatives (kids) coming over and I have a tv in the game room for them. I wanted to order an additional Joey or receiver. Everything was going fine until near the end, the customer service person told me there would be 24 months aded to my contact. I told r where to go. Andy ideas.

I just called Dish as I have relatives (kids) coming over and I have a tv in the game room for them. I wanted to order an additional Joey or receiver. Everything was going fine until near the end, the customer service person told me there would be 24 months aded to my contact. I told r where to go. Andy ideas.
Any equipment changes is a 24 month commitment. If you don't like it you can purchase the receiver for $50. Just tell them you don't want a commitment and are willing to purchase.

Can you just use Dish Anywhere with a Firestick or Android streaming device?