Change in fast forward (related to AutoHop?)

snissen

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2006
southern MN
I love my Hopper 3 on DISH Network, but I'll admit that I don't follow every change in every software upgrade. So I've been surprised recently with a change I've noticed. I've never used AutoHop, but just repeatedly pressed the 30-second fast forward button quickly to skip through commercials in recorded programs. I even learned how many presses to use in different programs (5 during evening news, 6 during hour-long dramas, 7 on 24-hour news channels, more than 8 in the last hour of movies).

But the last month or so, when I do this, I sometimes think I see a quick red kangaroo icon in the lower right corner of the screen, and the forward skip is more than just 30 seconds. My vision is not great, but surely I'm not imagining this! Can anyone explain this, and what/when/why it started? I'm not complaining, but I'd like to know what's happening so I can adjust to it.

So auto hop works with the major local networks and only after it's sat there for 24 hours. As long as auto hop is enabled it will still work on your manually created timers that occur the prime time hours. The red kangaroo indicates it has skipped all the commercials automatically. Even if you hit the skip forward button it will still go through all commercials and if you are still hitting the button once it's done you will go to far. But the whole point is that you don't need to hit the button at all.

Reactions: charlesrshell
And it differs by network. NBC allows auto-hop the next day (good for them!). ABC and Fox are after three days, I think. CBS makes you wait the entire seven days (boo). Luckily most of our favorite shows are NBC and CBS sucking hind t-t.

That is incorrect. They sit until around 6AM the next morning.
I swear they used to list it as 24 hours. But I looked it up and they list it now as next day I don't ever pay attention to it, I just hit yes when it asks. But as bookworm said it's actually different depending on network, day, and show. Here's a chart.

Attachments

• IMG_1988.png
    IMG_1988.png
    213.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1989.png
    IMG_1989.png
    207.8 KB · Views: 106
That can happen... Simply go in and turn it off if you don't want it.
There is no way to turn autohop on or off it’s automatically enabled if primetime anytime is enabled. You can choose whether or not to use it when you play a program that has it available.

Sent from my iPhone with Chrome real Satelliteguys don’t use tapatalk!

My dream is autohop feature on everything you record that has commercials. No more pressing forward button on remote, then rewind, try to find exactly where the break ends.
I am afraid content providers will never give up extra revenue. I know it is a dream!!!

I love my Hopper 3 on DISH Network, but I'll admit that I don't follow every change in every software upgrade. So I've been surprised recently with a change I've noticed. I've never used AutoHop, but just repeatedly pressed the 30-second fast forward button quickly to skip through commercials in recorded programs. I even learned how many presses to use in different programs (5 during evening news, 6 during hour-long dramas, 7 on 24-hour news channels, more than 8 in the last hour of movies).

But the last month or so, when I do this, I sometimes think I see a quick red kangaroo icon in the lower right corner of the screen, and the forward skip is more than just 30 seconds. My vision is not great, but surely I'm not imagining this! Can anyone explain this, and what/when/why it started? I'm not complaining, but I'd like to know what's happening so I can adjust to it.
It would appear to be a new "feature". Not sure if it is intentional or not. While watching a program recorded with Primetime Anytime, but before AutoHop has been enabled on it, if you skip through a commercial break, by pressing the skip button, letting it advance 30 seconds, then pressing the skip button again, and repeating, on the last click before the commercial break ends, the AutoHop kangaroo icon will appear in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Presumably to let you know not to press skip again because you are at the end of the commercial break. Depending on how accurate your learned number of rapid-fire presses is (that's the way I normally skip commercials too), you may see the icon in that case as well. It may also depend on when you start the skip sequence, which would affect the timing of when that last press before the end of the break occurs.

I guess you could call it ManualHop™.

It would appear to be a new "feature". Not sure if it is intentional or not. While watching a program recorded with Primetime Anytime, but before AutoHop has been enabled on it, if you skip through a commercial break, by pressing the skip button, letting it advance 30 seconds, then pressing the skip button again, and repeating, on the last click before the commercial break ends, the AutoHop kangaroo icon will appear in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Presumably to let you know not to press skip again because you are at the end of the commercial break. Depending on how accurate your learned number of rapid-fire presses is (that's the way I normally skip commercials too), you may see the icon in that case as well. It may also depend on when you start the skip sequence, which would affect the timing of when that last press before the end of the break occurs.

I guess you could call it ManualHop™.
I just checked this and it works as you explained. I purposely hit skip more than I needed to and up popped the red kangaroo.

I don't have primetime enabled and I saw the red kangaroo yesterday. This morning my wife mentioned that she wonders if the H3 is going bad being the fast forward is working different.

Same behavior here. I have NEVER had primetime enabled and the last few days I get the small kangaroo as well ....

Can anyone confirm if something changed though? Previously (before a few weeks ago), autohop would just skip without pushing the skip ahead button. Now it doesn’t work unless I hit skip ahead until seeing the “hop icon” . Did they have to change things due to the lawsuit? Or is my hopper acting up?

Can anyone confirm if something changed though? Previously (before a few weeks ago), autohop would just skip without pushing the skip ahead button. Now it doesn’t work unless I hit skip ahead until seeing the “hop icon” . Did they have to change things due to the lawsuit? Or is my hopper acting up?
My Hopper 3 AutoHop works as normal. Do not need to push the skip ahead button.

Reactions: glowrdr