Status
Please reply by conversation.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
Does anyone remember the Infocypher descramber? I believe at the time it was mainly for data service. This was a separate from the Digicypher. I believe it was very short lived did anyone ever have one and share the story behind? Was it used just data services or both video and data??

Does anyone remember the Infocypher descramber? I believe at the time it was mainly for data service. This was a separate from the Digicypher. I believe it was very short lived did anyone ever have one and share the story behind? Was it used just data services or both video and data??

What I remember was way before there were any digicipher receivers, I think it was for the VCII receivers. The VCII receivers had a data port on the back that was supposed to be used with an external box, which I think was the Infocipher thing you mention. When I bought my first VCII, I looked into getting one, with the intention of receiving real time stock quotes on it. I can't remember if it wasn't yet available at the time, or if it was just too expensive, but I didn't get one. Basically, I think it was a vaporware type thing that never really got popular enough for the masses to buy into it. I'm sure they probably sold a few, but I never found a source of the boxes or a way to subscribe it if I had it. I seem to remember either buying or seeing one of the boxes at a hamfest, but by that time, the service was long gone if it ever was active at all.

Yep worked with VC-2 for text services. Never really caught on though. I think TBS had a data stream on it back in about 87.

Yep worked with VC-2 for text services. Never really caught on though. I think TBS had a data stream on it back in about 87.

I'm pretty sure that the digital service on TBS was a teletext signal. I had (maybe still have) one of those receivers, ie one of those kit things, and I'm pretty sure that TBS was one of the 2 or 3 channels that had teletext. It was pretty slow. I can't remember how it worked, perhaps through an audio subcarrier. It didn't last long though.
Then, somewhere around the 1996 time frame, Intel came out with a service that showed up on several VCII channels. This one was based on 2 or 3 of the VBI lines prior to the line 21 CC line. There were a few computer TV video cards that would read the VBI lines and display the digital data. I remember that for a while the Weather channel used this, and also CNN, and one or two other channels, but this too died.

I'm pretty sure that the digital service on TBS was a teletext signal. I had (maybe still have) one of those receivers, ie one of those kit things, and I'm pretty sure that TBS was one of the 2 or 3 channels that had teletext. It was pretty slow. I can't remember how it worked, perhaps through an audio subcarrier. It didn't last long though.
Then, somewhere around the 1996 time frame, Intel came out with a service that showed up on several VCII channels. This one was based on 2 or 3 of the VBI lines prior to the line 21 CC line. There were a few computer TV video cards that would read the VBI lines and display the digital data. I remember that for a while the Weather channel used this, and also CNN, and one or two other channels, but this too died.

I think your right, I remember teletext it was on TBS and 1 or 2 other stations never really took off here in US but is still popular in the UK and possibly Europe.

Telestext was even on OTA in the early 80's. We had a service called Keyfax on one of the channels here in town. It was popular in England but the US didn't follow suit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts